CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
Richard A. Lopez

Profile:
joining a box

So ive been crossfitting and powerlifting back and forth for years and even though i have a kick *** home gym, im finally joining a box.
The price is an issue so im joining there 3X a week thing, plus wife yelling at me. Im going to keep the 531 for bench and squat 2 days a week at home then hit the box the other 3 days. Im excited about this.
Has anyone done this? I mean crossfitted at home for sometime then decided way later to join a box? How was it for you?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
Helen M Brennan

Profile:
Re: joining a box

my story is far different from yours. Joined as an older woman aged 58.. started with a personal trainer who then moved to another state and recommended CrossFit... after watching CF on youtube it took a while to make the firt appointment.. I peeked around the roller door into the box saw all these sweaty fit "young" people working out doing stuff that i would never dream of.. tried to run away but fortunately had been spotted and so was obliged to at least talk with these people.. and so there my journey started and it continues.
celebrated my 60th with my first ever strict pullups!

H
Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Richard A. Lopez

Profile:

Well, i did my first one on one session with a coach and she awesome. Taught me how to do a proer snatch. It took me a few tries, but she was great and patient while i kept screwing up.
i have a lot of mobility issues which will go away once i start i believe.
I know i will have a lot of fun. The gym is huge and i cant wait.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Rivers Plowden

Profile:

My wife and I have a CF "home gym" set up in the garage where we can tackle just about any workout that may come. However, we rarely use it unless we are following a specific program (usually a strength program) that the gym may not be following. I think we both find that we get much more out of going to the actual gym. I know that I personally work much harder when I'm with other athletes vs by myself. I make lifts and PRs much more often when in the company of lifting buddies vs in a hot, lonely garage.

I think there are many benefits (coaches, partners, atmosphere) to actually going to the gym that make the cost worthwhile. Use the garage for your specific goals if they cannot be accomplished on the gym's schedule. Fortunately, we have a really good gym with a lot of open gym time and like-minded individuals that are into the same programming and goals as we are.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
Richard A. Lopez

Profile:

yeah, its mostly for the motivation. My gym at home has everything, i love it. But early morning after working all night and sleeping for 4 hours, without a push its hard to train, I mean i do but it takes all I have to knock it out solo.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
Page Johnson

Profile:

I admire those who can work out at home and push themselves hard. I do much better going to a box, and the programming, coaching, and motivation.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
William Hoke

Profile:

I had been doing CF since 2008-2009ish and never joined a box until recently. I have my L1, have coached and done programming for a box, and I can say this...it is much nicer just going to a box!!! Of course this is all dependent on the box and the price, but I have no problems paying the price because the community and programming at my box are top notch.

Also, if your box is good, you will get plenty of squatting in, in some form or another. Depending on the price difference for 3x/wk to unlimited, I would go with unlimited.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
Richard A. Lopez

Profile:

The box is great.. id be there all day if i wasnt a dad of 5, husband and worked graveyard. The 3X a week is perfect for me because i go after work (i get off at 5:30)
Just finished my assessment period and i start tomorrow morning for my first class. I know i will love it, but my gym at home will be for the days i have off.
The place is huge too, 16,000 sq. ft. Everyone is real welcoming too. Im juiced about this.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
Alvin Borja

Profile:

I have my own gym as well and I really enjoy doing crossfit now that I understand it more. I have been playing with the idea of joining a box to get properly coached on some movements. I have a stupid question, though. I noticed that some of the wods are an average of 10 - 30 minutes to finish. At a box, where sessions are usually an hour long, what do they do with the extra time? Like, if you follow the wod FRAN and your done in 5 - 8 minutes, what next? Also, what should I be looking for in a box? There are 3 in my area and priced about the same. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #10
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Yes. Just be ready to learn, and be safe about it.
If you have good coaches, you'll have a blast.