CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Steve Boutcher

Profile:
Programming for your affiliate

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you affiliate owners out there program a "rest day" into your affiliates week? If so, what do you usually do that day at the box? Do you get lots of members complaining about the lack of an organised WOD that day? Some of our members can, for example only train on specific days and I would hazard a guess that some would be quite unhappy about a "rest day" landing on the day they had planed to train. Suggestions?

We have up until now programmed WODs from Monday to Friday. On Saturday we have a Team WOD and on Sunday we have no planed WOD, but we do have open gym. We often program for our affiliate, but sometimes we use .com programming and sometimes Competitors WOD programming.

We would like to do a 3 on 1 off type schedule, but it would be great to hear some suggestions as to what we as an affiliate could do with the members on a rest day. All ideas much appreciated. Thank all
Old 06-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Oli Kellett

Profile:
Re: Programming for your affiliate

At the box I go to we have the following:
Monday - Thursday - Normal WOD
Friday - Partner WOD
Saturday - Normal WOD
Sunday - Open gym with a longer type chipper WOD for those who are keen, otherwise it's a skills day.

The way I look at it is most people at the gym are adults and know they should rest, however it might be the coaches responsibility to make sure a member takes a rest day.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #3
Chris Jones

Profile:

I agree that people are vastly different, and for that reason i think most people choose their on work/rest schedules. My box and most of the others in my area program WODS 6 days a week, with some of them having open gym for a couple hours on Sunday too.

My wife works 12 hours shifts during the day, so there are days when she has to miss the workout due to work. It would suck for her if she wanted to go to the box on her days off and it was a "rest day" at the gym.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I program "on" Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Thursday is our scheduled rest/make up day - if members worked out the previous 3 days straight they are encouraged to rest, if they missed one, they may make it up during the regularly scheduled WOD times. Thursday night at 7:00 pm is a weightlifting class that is open to everyone. Friday and Saturday are back "on". Sunday we are closed.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Saul Garcia

Profile:

We program Monday through Saturday.

Our strength program gets a designated rest day on Thursday and we are closed on Sunday.

We usually program a 25-30 minute chipper on Thursdays, and every other Saturday we have a birthday/team WOD (either/or). I don't think we have any members come in six days out of the week. In fact our attendance tends to dip on Thursdays, and those that attend are those that missed a day from Monday-Wednesday.

Our strongest attendance days are Monday-Wednesday and Friday. Hit or miss on Thursday and Saturday. We program accordingly, as well as using our strength program as our base for rest days.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
Mike Darlington

Profile:

Mon - Wed: Programmed workouts
Thurs: Nothing programmed, Open Gym time for people to make up what they missed Mon-Wed
Friday and Saturday: Programmed workouts
Sunday: Open Gym

Seems to be working very well, no complaints.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I always liked Mon-Fri programming with an open gym/partner WOD/heavy day/WL-Strongman type of Saturday with nothing on Sunday. Usually have to "take it a little easier" on Thursdays or something.

So M-W/F is standard programming like Strength training followed by MetCon. Thursday would be some type of skill work or gymnastics strength training followed by a lighter/easier MetCon.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

Late to the game here, but Wednesdays and Sundays are off for workouts (with the exception if a holiday workout comes up obviously). Those days are 100% dedicated to mobility/technique. Anyway, who's to say that an hour of mobility/technique won't make you better than an hour workout session?
Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
Steve Loeding

Profile:

Just started programming an olympic lift / squat day on Thursdays - no metcon - see if people take advantage of that - it's FREE - doesn't cost them a class so hopefully they'll come in and try it out
Old 02-07-2015, 12:08 AM   #10
Steven Thunander

Profile:

The affiliate I go to does Monday through Saturday, with Sunday off (Box closed). They do program a SWOD on Saturday, but you can also make up a lift not done throughout the week if you missed. Saturday is the 'optional' day in the program.

I usually do a 5 on 2 off split, with one of those 2 days being "active rest".