CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Kenton Finkbeiner

Profile:
Merrell Barefoot Shoes: Beating a Dead Horse

Well, I just wanted to encourage everyone about barefoot shoes and initial injuries.

I bought an awesome pair of Merrells last summer and instantly developed:

Plantar fasciitis
Sesimoiditis
Pronaeus brevis tendonitis

...all in the right foot.

I put my old shoes back on for about 2-3 months.

After the pain finally went away I spent about another month not wearing them, and then I thought I'd slip them back on.

After the initial second trial, I felt the tendons start to swell again, but not as bad before...

...then I did the unthinkable. I went on a 20 day vacation to Europe and brought only my barefoot shoes.

Some ache, some pain, but after a week of straight barefoot shoes, the pain is gone.

I'm over all my foot ailments and I don't think I'll ever wear a different shoe for daily work and play.

If you're having the same problem, keep at it... take them off for a few weeks, come back to them... it worked for me. Now I dont need my EXPENSIVE custom built orthodics anymore.

Thanks

Kenton
San Diego
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Chris Girgis

Profile:
Re: Merrell Barefoot Shoes: Beating a Dead Horse

Curious...when you first started wearing them did you restrict your normal activity, or limit their wear time any or did you just change to new shoes and continue on with a normal routine?

When I started wearing Vibrams & Minimus, I sort of put myself through a break-in period of about 2 weeks where I wore them only for less-active stuff (walking, running errands, no WODs) and for increasing periods of time. Had some calf and arch soreness that went away relatively short order. Once I started working out in them I had slightly less soreness that lasted only for about the first week.

I recommend a break-in period to anyone who inquires about them. I'm of the opinion that if one goes from "conventional" fitness shoes to a minimalist platform without such is likely gonna regret it.