CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:
Any vegan or vegetarian crossfit athletes out there???

What is your diet like? Give me a day's meal plan of what you eat as an athlete. Would you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate or advanced level athlete?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Any vegan or vegetarian crossfit athletes out there???

Lots of topics in the forums if you search, but here's my two cents.

Male, 32, 6í4", 195. Vegan, advanced athlete, intermediate Crossfitter. Have to scale the heaviest weights but usually destroy metcons, CFT is 700. Ran a 4:01 mile in college, didn't make the Olympic Trials, gave it up to focus on all-around fitness. Been vegan for two years, tried it and liked it. I do the HQ WOD before breakfast every morning. My meals don't seem like a lot but they are large amounts of what's listed. Here's the last two days:

Sunday
Pre-WOD: multigrain roll from German bakery across the street, 48oz water
Breakfast: quinoa, spinach, chickpeas, hot sauce microwaved together
Snack: two Larabars, three large handfuls of nuts, apple
Lunch: huge sandwich with portabella mushroom 'meat,' avocado, tomatoes, spinach, mustard, red pepper
Snack: green tea, organic blood orange juice, large handful of nuts
Dinner: NFL Sunday means bar food! Breaded buffalo cauliflower 'wings,' pizza made with whole grain crust, layered sliced tomatoes, shredded spinach for cheese, topped with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, red onions

Monday
Pre-WOD: same
Breakfast: can of diced tomatoes, black beans, spinach, curry seasoning microwaved together
Snack: same
Lunch: whole wheat penne pasta with marinara sauce and mushrooms
Snack: spinach salad with balsamic vinegar; kimchi, rice
Dinner: tofu scramble with green onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, green pepper

The question I always get is 'where's the protein?' This is my opinion, and my opinion only, but I think in general we've all been sold the notion that we need massive amounts of protein to survive. Horses eat nothing but grass and hay and they are 1600 pounds of twisted steel. Also, all whole foods have protein and I think eating a variety will get you enough. Once again, my opinion only.

If you're still reading I hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Andrea Kirk

Profile:

Yes. We are a silent and invisible minority
Here's a pretty average day (please note I am very dietarily lazy):
Breakfast: Coffee with milk and a peanut butter sandwich and nasty hot chocolate (that's hot milk with a chunk of unsweetened bakers chocolate i.e. without any sugar).
Mid morning: Another peanut butter sandwich
Lunch: an orange and bowl of raisin bran with walnuts and milk
Mid afternoon: vegetable juice and an apple
Dinner: curried rice, salad and black beans or maybe just another bowl of raisin bran, or some oatmeal.
Always have a cough-drop before a WOD.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Andrea Kirk

Profile:

Oh, also, an advanced athlete. Life long. Crossfitting for about four years.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Neal Carpenter View Post
Lots of topics in the forums if you search, but here's my two cents.

Male, 32, 6í4", 195. Vegan, advanced athlete, intermediate Crossfitter. Have to scale the heaviest weights but usually destroy metcons, CFT is 700. Ran a 4:01 mile in college, didn't make the Olympic Trials, gave it up to focus on all-around fitness. Been vegan for two years, tried it and liked it. I do the HQ WOD before breakfast every morning. My meals don't seem like a lot but they are large amounts of what's listed. Here's the last two days:

Sunday
Pre-WOD: multigrain roll from German bakery across the street, 48oz water
Breakfast: quinoa, spinach, chickpeas, hot sauce microwaved together
Snack: two Larabars, three large handfuls of nuts, apple
Lunch: huge sandwich with portabella mushroom 'meat,' avocado, tomatoes, spinach, mustard, red pepper
Snack: green tea, organic blood orange juice, large handful of nuts
Dinner: NFL Sunday means bar food! Breaded buffalo cauliflower 'wings,' pizza made with whole grain crust, layered sliced tomatoes, shredded spinach for cheese, topped with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, red onions

Monday
Pre-WOD: same
Breakfast: can of diced tomatoes, black beans, spinach, curry seasoning microwaved together
Snack: same
Lunch: whole wheat penne pasta with marinara sauce and mushrooms
Snack: spinach salad with balsamic vinegar; kimchi, rice
Dinner: tofu scramble with green onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, green pepper

The question I always get is 'where's the protein?' This is my opinion, and my opinion only, but I think in general we've all been sold the notion that we need massive amounts of protein to survive. Horses eat nothing but grass and hay and they are 1600 pounds of twisted steel. Also, all whole foods have protein and I think eating a variety will get you enough. Once again, my opinion only.

If you're still reading I hope this helps.
That makes a lot of sense actually. I'm slowly trying to get into it. I know I don't need to eat lots of meat and I do pretty good so far. I'm at the point where ill eat a 6 ounce peace of chicken in a day but my problem is dairy. I drink lots of whole milk and eat greek yogurt daily. That's going to be tougher than eliminating meat lol.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Jolie Dyl

Profile:

I'm also a vegan athlete. I would consider myself an advanced athlete in my sport (volleyball) and an intermediate Crossfitter. I've been doing Crossfit for a couple of years and have been a vegan for about thirteen years, so a vegan diet has been fully compatible with being an athlete for me over the long term. A typical day (I make no claims to my diet being ideal by the standards of this board):

Breakfast: Vega One shake (made with water), two or three slices of multigrain toast with Earth Balance, berries, glass of soy milk, cup of coffee

Lunch: usually a frozen meal from a company like Amy's (yes, I know this is bad) and a soy yogurt

Snack: energy bar and/or banana

Dinner: tofu or seitan stir-fried with lots of veggies over rice, quinoa, or pasta, often dessert (the probable source of the extra five pounds I can't get rid of)

I would second Brian's comment about the protein obsession of a lot of athletes being overstated, and I also think the aversion to soy is groundless.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Some might say aversion to any food entirely is groundless. I have actually made it through the day meatless and done well on my protein intake. I see no reason of course to exclude animal products, but certainly a vegetarian has 0 problems with sources of protein. I would venture to say it would be trickier for a vegan to hit all the bases, but I would make the same argument about paleo-ites. Pay attention to what you eat and it should be simple enough.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Kurt Konodi

Profile:

Another vegan here. I'd same I'm an intermediate athlete and have been doing crossfit for almost a year now. I started veganism about 4 months before I started crossfit and was a vegetarian 2 years prior to that. I don't really have 'meals', I usually just eat something every two hours

Today's meal plan:
-smoothie: banana, strawberries, oatmeal, almond milk, spinach, rice protein
-whole wheat bagel
-apple
-smoothie: banana, strawberries, blue berries, soy milk, spinach, coconut oil; smart bar
-granola bar
-crackers and hummus
-almonds
-pizza
-more pizza, banana, mini bagel, 2 clementines

I typically have 2-4 smoothies a day (Vitamix addict) with the breakfast one having protein in it and my post workout one as well. Quinoa, steamed vegetables, and tofu is a quick go to meal for me. Typically will snack on almonds and fruit throughout the day
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Brian Seelos

Profile:

I consider myself an advanced athlete, but have only been doing crossfit for about a year and have been vegan for a year. I am also a personal trainer/nutrition consultant. A typical day goes like this for me:

- Breakfast - Smoothie: Raw Protein, hemp protein, frozen berries and banana, ground flax seed, almond milk, peanut or almond butter and water.
- Snack - usually nuts or a homemade bar and fruit
- Lunch - sandwich with sprouted bread, tofurkey, soy cheese, spinach and tomato. Lentil or bean soup.
- Snack - hummus and veggies
- Dinner - beans or lentils with quinoa, cous cous, or rice pasta. Salad with spinach, veggies and vinaigrette.

As a vegan I have found that I have an easier time when I make large batches of meals and store them in the fridge for the week. I make vegan chili, quinoa cereals, bean and lentil soups, bars, trail mix, overnight oats, etc.

If you haven't switched over yet, it would be easier for you to go vegetarian for a couple of weeks then gradually phase out dairy. Good luck and check out www.brianseelos.com for vegan info.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
Trevor Ryan

Profile:

Vegan here. I'd consider myself athletically advanced to the point of being one of the best in what I do with the people I've always done sports with (from competitively competing in organized sports such as wrestling, baseball, golf and also in backyard/pick up sport games). Once I got out of college I started to let it go and have not been in "compete" mode for a long time, but have lately started to get into crossfit and powerlifting. Now 31 years old and after taking a 8+ year break from lifting weights I started up again in July. My lifting numbers have been going up and up with PR's each week, and my crossfit total is around 670 lbs (I'm 150lbs and about 5'5"). I've been vegan for close to 2 years.

Normal day of eating:
Breakfast:
Water with squeezed fresh lemon (due to the great alkaline nature of it)
Two bananas, a few handfuls of walnuts, a few handfuls of raw spinach

Mid-morning:
A few cups of green tea

Lunch:
Huge salad with lots of lettuce (or kale, or spinach- any type of green leafy will do), celery, carrots, avocado, tomatoes, almonds. (no dressing, just eat it raw and natural)
Small cup of quinoa (sometimes have beans mixed in with the quinoa)

Afternoon Snack:
Green smoothie (with hemp powder, banana, and any type of green leaves)

Dinner:
A raw salad
Lightly steamed or stir-fried veggies (using low heat and extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil)
Small cup of sprouted beans (if not sprouted soaked at least 24 hours before cooking)
A few pieces of fruit with walnuts