CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Bryan Spillman

Profile:
Plantar fasciitis

Anyone ever have\had Plantar fasciitis ? This is a really annoying injury!!!

Mostly it says to rest, and stretch.. Any other tips or tactics to recovery?

"Treatment options for plantar fasciitis include rest, massage therapy, stretching, weight loss, night splints, motion control running shoes, physical therapy, cold therapy, heat therapy, orthotics, anti-inflammatory medications, injection of corticosteroids and surgery in refractory cases. Also, in some cases, massaging of the inflamed location serves as a temporary relief"

well, i guess that covers it... ANNOYING INJURY!

Last edited by Bryan Spillman : 03-26-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: trying to delete and\or move topic.....
Old 03-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
John Lowry

Profile:
Re: Plantar fasciitis

Never had it but take a look at this: (WFS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsYLs...eature=related
Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Eric Shuty

Profile:

I have had it and I solved it the same I do every injury: buckets or baths of ice combined with training around the injury or slightly less volume. I don't mean ice packs...I literally mean soaking your foot in a bucket of half ice and half water. It's painful at first but it goes numb. Lol. Same way I dealt with shin splints as well...
Old 03-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Ellis King

Profile:

Yes, I suffered from this for almost a year. The best things I did to treat (and later to prevent) were:
1. stretching, specifically calf and achilles stretches
2. strengthening the feet

How strong are your feet? If you scrunch your toes together, do they cramp up? Other than scrunching your toes together as often as possible until it does not hurt, I found that easing into running with minimalist shoes to be the best help. If you haven't tried the trendy, over-priced toe shoes, I would recommend a $5-10 pair of aqua socks.

And sincerely ease into it. As in, don't do more than 400 meters in any day. And when you do ramp up, do not increase by more than 400 meters.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

what's funny, is the injured foot cramps a little on toe flex. I think squats+400m runs last Monday set it off.. was wearing minimalist style shoes ... and Im 235#.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Brent E Harsch

Profile:

Strasburg Sock

Sleep on your stomach with your feet hanging over the end of the bed or on your side. If you sleep with your feet facing up and a heavy blanket or tight sheet pulling your feet down facing away from your body it relaxes the tendons so when you get up and try and run or even walk in the morning it's like a rubber band going from loose to tight which causes irritation.

This is what my physical therapist told me when I had it a few years ago. Everything he told me to do worked.
34/m/5'10"/215lbs/BF%UNK PR's CFT 785#/DL 375#/1Mile Run 6:21/2km Row 7:56/10K 1:00:52/400M 1:17/Accomplishments Burpee Mile
Old 03-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Kevin McCahill

Profile:

Bry,

Have you been sprinting/DU'dering/box jumping more than usual? Did you drink koolaid and buy VFF's or other minimals while cfitting?

If you always wore traditional footwear and changed it up drastically it can surface as plantar or achilles tendonitis.

I am a marathon runner/IM tri guy and plantar is crazy annoying for people who love to train and simply can't skip days. I have had it and many around me have had it. Ice baths work but rest is key. The fasch have to heal and there is a lack of bloodflow. (So it takes forever!)

Advice - train around it, change your footwear back. If you did not go minimal too soon, look up plantar taping options or get insoles. I know this board will crush me for recommending insoles but they are a nice temp option while still training. If you have med coverage, get insoles as a way to rest the feet while walking on them all day.

Good luck!

Last edited by Kevin McCahill : 03-26-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Lots of good advice here. I fight this issue off and on, and have for several years. I find that if I stretch the whole posterior chain, from low back through the calves, achilles, and balls of the feet it helps. Get a golf ball and use it on the bottom of the foot and heel like you would use a lacrosse ball on the calves (do that, too). If it is bad in the morning, try a night splint for a while. Annoying is right. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Bryan Spillman

Profile:

i have a boot, stretching bands, and a radball on order. I have a foot soaker, ill try filling with ice water tomorrow. I think my testing my different running shoes also played a big part, minimal for 4.6 miles may be part of it.... sleep seems best
Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Spillman View Post
i have a boot, stretching bands, and a radball on order. I have a foot soaker, ill try filling with ice water tomorrow. I think my testing my different running shoes also played a big part, minimal for 4.6 miles may be part of it.... sleep seems best
Unless you built up to that over the course of about 30+ runs of slowly increasing distance, that was a bad idea. Hope you heal up.