CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
Amanda Faulks

Profile:
Re: What doesn't kill Natasha

Hello Natasha

Great to see you start a log it will be great see you progress. I now how you feel about some of the WOD's that are supposed to be metcon are more strength cause the weights are hard to throw around. I think mixing WOD's and SS could be good as long as you get the right amount of rest. I am no expert though. You are right about all of us having to find our own way to the big road. You got to plug it into the black box and see what comes out.

Have fun
Amanda
Old 05-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #12
Natalia Reynolds

Profile:

Thank you, Amanda
Old 05-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #13
Natalia Reynolds

Profile:
New PR :)

I did it! 105 back squat! I did it!!! :)

After I squatted 100 for 3 reps two days ago, I was so confident and so sure that I can jump higher. Plan was to try 1 rep 105 pounds.

After warm up: 45x5x3, 60x5, 75x3,
I put 105# on the bar. It felt incredibly heavy!

I squatted once... On the way up decided that probably my depth was not quite good and went down again, lower - stand up... Hey, I can do more! And I did my second rep. I failed on third, but it was my victory!

I repeated the same set - done/done/failed - one more time, and was aiming for the third. No luck :) I completed 1 squat, and on second one the bar just folded me down.

And still 5 squats with 105 pounds - wow!

I couldn't complete my workout - didn't do shoulder press and dead-lifts - due to sudden sharp pain in my lower abdominal after this last successful squat :( Sometimes it's bad to be a doctor and know too much of what this pain can be - I scared myself and my husband to death with my horrifying suggestions. Anyway, feel better now and still think it was smart to stop the workout.

Will try to do presses and deadlifts tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
Natalia Reynolds

Profile:
SS works!

Probably on this stage it is more of psychological effect, but it really works!

A week ago I stated that i stuck on 100# on my squats, 5 days later I squatted 105 for the first time and today I did 2 sets of 5 reps with this weight easily. Go for 110 next time!

Back squats:

warm up sets: 45x5x3, 65x5, 85x3

work sets: 105x5x2

Bench press:

warm up: 45x5x3, 55x3

work sets: expected too much from myself. Aimed for 5 singles with 75#, succeeded only once After 2 failures decreased weight to 65 and did 3 reps in one set.
Damaged right shoulder with 75 Hope it'll be ok soon.

Dead lift:

warm up: 67x5, 99x3

work sets: 131x1x5! This is cool 131 is my PR!

I didn't want to workout! I was so exhausted and relaxed after lazy hours near the swimming pool, playing in the ocean, sunshine... Zero motivation.
Probably this was part of the reason why the workout took so long - more than 2 hours! But we did it, that's what matters Good job!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
Natalia Reynolds

Profile:
Cindy

Interesting picture here...
Did Cindy in the morning: 9 rounds + 5 pull ups + 9 push-ups

Substituted body-rows for pull-ups. Really wanted to try to do this WOD as Rx'd, but yesterday's "trial" made it clear that I'm not ready yet. My pull-ups are weak, I can do 1 pull-up at a time, max - 2 pull-ups, I need long rest before I can do next one, and even longer rest and sometimes several attempts to do the next one :(
I'll be there!

So 9+ rounds today. My last result on Cindy was 12+ rounds! Huh? The same body-rows instead of pull-ups as today. So what's happened?

One thought is that today I really worked hard on keeping good form and good range of motion through all my push-ups, this could slow me down. But so dramatically?!?! 3 rounds less!
I don't think I lost time on body-rows, and, especially at the end, my squats were probably the fastest squats I've ever done. At least it felt that way. But the numbers say for themselves.

I had a week break in CF WODs, was doing SS workouts. Did this make a difference? If this is true, then I'm happy with my decision to combine SS with CF WODs - I don't want to lose what I've done in 3 months.

Push-ups were hard today! 99 good push-ups :)

Starting Strength workout tonight - squat, press, power clean. Aiming for +5 pounds in all three! :)
Old 05-17-2008, 03:54 AM   #16
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:
Re: Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia Reynolds View Post
So 9+ rounds today. My last result on Cindy was 12+ rounds! Huh? The same body-rows instead of pull-ups as today. So what's happened?
I really think I contributed to this -- I don't know how but I'm pretty sure I miscounted your very first 2 ---- TWO!!! ---- rounds. And you think I miscounted one of your last rounds. Your real score may have been 10+ rounds.

Still, the decline is there and needs explanation. I'm pretty sure I know what it is: the bench press workout. Your weakness today was clearly your push-ups. Your shoulder didn't seem to be hurting you, or you didn't mention it, but your push-ups were unusually slow and weak and it's no coincidence you did that intense bench press workout on Thursday which is a brand new workout for you, with an exercise you've scarcely done before.

It's also true your form was immaculate today. Not only were your push-ups full ROM and crisp, your body rows went to full-pull and then an inch further. Your push-up form was different --- your elbows were higher, with upper arms basically perpendicular to your body. I don't think that's a great position. I'd rather see a more neutral arm position. I think something must have been driving you to hold your arms wider, perhaps the same soreness that weakened you.

I've got something for you to work on --- what I perceive as a weakness: presence of mind while physically stressed. Emotional calm during extreme exertion.

Part of truly functional fitness is being able to apply it, but to apply it, you need to be calm enough to think, receive input, process it objectively and calmly, and change course if need be. This is actually one of the great advantages of austere physical training -- acclimating to the condition of physical stress, almost trauma, and becoming so accustomed to it that you can find some peace while you're there and still remain compos mentis.
"Grace under pressure."

It's an extremely common occurrence for people new to push-ups to hurt their wrists attempting to do large numbers, and the injury, though it is not severe, slows down their training. If your wrists hurt during push-ups, there are a few options. The best ones are: 1) switch to fist push-ups, holding the wrist straight; 2) grab dumbbells or some other handle and do your push-ups on that. I had been observing your form all along, and watching the strangely wide upper-arm angle. If you had switched to the parallettes, your arms would have remained in the same position --- nothing awkward at all; and you'd have found the "grip" very simple and much easier on the wrists.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
Natalia Reynolds

Profile:
SS, day 5

I am sore!!!

And I was sore last night, when I was doing my SS workout. Maybe Cindy in the morning wasn't that great idea? But I liked it :) And planning to keep this schedule for a while - 3 days a week, CF in the morning, SS in the evening.

The workout was as usually long (about 2 hours). It was hot outside and more than anything else I wanted to take my shoes and socks off and do the lifts barefoot.

Huge improvement! Our 'rack' is 2 supports, welded to the pull-up bar, and it happened, that when my husband was installing the bar, he put it a little bit too high and it was really difficult for me to un-rack and re-rack the bar. I had to walk out of the rack with the bar on my shoulder on my toes!
Recently he found big smooth particle board, just the right size to put it under the bar, and this allowed us to raise the ground under the rack a little :) And now we have beautiful 'lifting platform' and the height of the supports is exactly right for me and for the first time last night I could re-rack even 110# bar myself :)
Another 'upgrade' was done to the bar itself - the central knurling, the one that left scrapes on my sternum and on the back of the neck of my husband, is not a problem anymore! Part of the old soft sock, put on the bar as a sleeve, solves the problem just perfectly :) It really makes the difference!

Now the workout itself.

Back squat:

warm up: 45x5x3, 65x5, 89x3

work sets: 110# :pepper: Did it! 3 sets of 2. Not everything was smooth and nice, but at least 2 were good below parallel :)

This moves me another 5# towards my goal of 315 CFT!

Press: Not that excited here. It stuck on the same place - 60, no more! :(

warm up: 45x5, 55x1

tried 65# - not even close!

work sets: 60# singles... Completed 1, failed on the second, completed another 2 with the help of my husband.
Switched to 55# and could do only 1 single press! Failed on the second and went to the Cleans.

Power cleans - continue working on the form, but also added some weight :)
Did sets of 5 with 45, 50, 55 and 60#!

60 was hard, had to break set into two - 2+3.

My form is still weak, but it feels much stronger.

Today is a rest day!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #18
Natalia Reynolds

Profile:
Later better than never

Just now realized - I squatted my bodyweight last night! 110#! Woohoo! :)
Old 05-18-2008, 04:16 AM   #19
Camille Lore

Profile:

Nice job!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #20
Veronica Davis

Profile:

Great job on the bodyweight squat!!!!