CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Chad McBroom

Profile:
I came across "The 300 Workout" that was used to train the actors and stuntmen for the movie--to give them that "Spartan" look. Interestingly, they trained for function rather than physique (sounds familiar). This workout seems to fit the CrossFit model and might make a good WOD. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it.

Here's the workout (done for time):

Pullups - 25 reps
Deadlifts with 135lbs - 50 reps
Pushups - 50 reps
24-inch Box jumps - 50 reps
Floor wipers - 50 reps
1-arm 36lbs Kettlebell Clean n Press - 50 reps
Pullups - 25 reps}
Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Chad, politics of 300 aside it sounds like a good workout. I did however read an article about their training that mentioned that this workout was performed maybe a handful of times, most likely once by the actors in their preperation for the film. The training they used for that film is undeniably based on CrossFit protocol so why not get the real thing here?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
James Falkner

Profile:
There's absolutely no way any anyone could get that "spartan" look with this workout alone. I don't care how many pullups you do. If you eat at McDonalds, you're screwed :-)

Old 04-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
The 300 Diet (per diem):

18 blocks of Ambrosia
1 gallon of Nectar
Old 04-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Chad McBroom

Profile:
I wasn't suggesting that "300" should replace CrossFit, or that "300" alone without proper diet and additional training would give anyone a "Spartan" physique. I just thought it might be fun to try one day, since it does fit well with CrossFit.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:
Chad, don't sweat it, "300" is just a forum hot button...it's hard to know that if your new to the forum.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I don't know that anyone accused you of saying that this particular workout replaces CrossFit. The idea that some have expressed, and that the wording of your post suggested to me that you might think similiarly, is that some believe that this one workout is what was done day in and day out to train these actors. I was simply trying to point out that it was most likely one of say 20-60 workouts done by those actors.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Kevin Burns

Profile:
the 300 workout to alot of the mainstream fitness groups has become the new "thigh master" or some other horrible tony little device.

done on their own its of course better than nothing but a far cry from a be all end all
Old 04-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Charles Applin

Profile:
The problem is people not familiar with GymJones or CrossFit get the mistaken impression that this was the ONLY work-out the actors did. Even the first post made it sound like that.

It's just a cute name attached to a work-out of the day, nothing more. The "1775" workout (celebrating the birth of the USMC) would be another.

The dangerous part is that people are not being properly warned in the popular articles that these work-outs are dangerous. Imagine trying the Filthy Fifty unscaled your first time at CrossFit. You'd sport some nasty injuries if you got even half way through it. That means that soon you'll have more moronic people claiming CrossFit (by virtue of its tangent association with GymJones and the "300" workout) is bad for you. My guess that will be the 5th guy that crushes his chest doing 135# floor wipers without using large diameter plates.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:19 AM   #10
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I actually saw this workout in a Men's health and they did recommend scaling it, i.e. starting with 20 reps. However as others have stated the complete picture wasn't presented.