CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Ron Reddick

Profile:
Weight loss question on LC Paleo

Hi all,

So have gotten super dedicated this year to drop some excess fat, have a good visible 4 pack, but being 58 and male a bit of a spare tire is fighting me to be gone.

I eat clean, track macros and am doing 1700 cal per day, 30% Protein, 70% good fats, and around 20 grams carbs from fresh veg. Am 5'10" and stuck at 200 lbs. Have not done the bod pod but skin caliber test shows 17%bf and from using BF pictures I would guess that is close.

I train 7 days a week, doing intense WoD's 4 of those days, and the rest is split between heavy days - I do more of a Power Lifting track, and my active recovery days are mainly skill days on Old lifts, gymnastics, etc.

So I have been trying to get down to low BF, around 12% mainly to get my entry weight in to the next lower bracket for power lifting.

Question is - why no drop in weight? I can see some changes in body comp, and I cannot believe at my age I am adding that much muscle on a monthly basis. So any ideas on how to jump start some more aggressive weight loss?

My lifts all feel good, DL is 411, BS is 385, bench 235, snatch 185, C&J 225, just want to get into the 185# cat for competition and I want a leaner body as well.

Any thoughts on what to change up would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Ron
Old 12-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Brett Valego

Profile:
Re: Weight loss question on LC Paleo

that seems like at least a 1000 calorie deficit per day.
maybe switch your macros up to 40/30/30 and eat real carbs (like potatoes and rice). something obviously isn't working. and 1700 calories a day seems very low and you're not losing weight? probably too much fat in your diet then. switch it up and see what happens after 4-6 weeks. that's what i'd do at least.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

First guess is you are significantly under eating. Eat to Perform puts your Basal metabolic rate (BMR) at about 1,800 calories. That's what you need to break even if you sit and do nothing all day.

Basically you are starving your body and it is fighting back by holding onto fat.

Your solution will involve eating more. Here is where it gets a little tricky. People are very different when it comes to nutrition. There is not one solution for everyone. You have to do some experimenting to see what works for you.

Where to start. I would suggest moving up to 2,500 calories a day. With your training break even is probably close to 3,100 so this is still a deficit.

I would suggest with your training you need 210 grams of protein everyday. So that uses up 840 calories.

That leaves 1,660 divided between fats and carbs. I would start 830 of each. Call it 92 grams of healthy fats and 207 grams of good unprocessed carbs.

For the carbs think minimally processed oatmeal, sweat potatoes, different beans, some rice, some white potatoes.

Consuming carbs post workouts should help training, leaning out and generally how you feel throughout the day.

If you don't start to lean out (and have better workout) I would add more cals until you actually gain a couple of pounds. Then you subtract 500 and start the process over.

You can also experiment with fat/carb ratio. So if you feel better but are not leaning out as much as you would like try more fat less carbs.

Keep in mind when I ran my gym and was close to 10% BF in my mid 40's I ate Paleo 6 days a week but ate a large pizza every Friday night. I did it because I love pizza but it turns out this kind of re feed is an advanced leaning out strategy used in body building. I didn't know it at the time but I loved my pizza on Fridays and I was ripped.

More and more discipline and less and less food is a formula for failure.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
Jan Hedman

Profile:

Brendan had a good answer to you already..
I'd say that 20 grams of carbs for someone who exercises is absolutley too little. Maybe for a short period of time (1-3) weeks but not longer. One easy way to notice is that if you have had any type of brain fog or similar your carb intake is way too low.
I have same opinion, you are eating too little, increase the food amount like recomended, but increase the calories slowly. If you increase the calories from 1700 to some 2500kcal/day its too big change, 100-200kcal/day for a week or some 10days, then increase again...
When you are on a diet the body gets used to lower calories and the body want to protect the body so the metabolism get slower - and then of course the fatburning gets more difficult. Thats why many people (especially bodybuilders) have a "eating day" for example once a week/ two weeks. Increase the calories a lot, say if you now eat a 1700kcal, increase to 3000-4000kcal for a day or two and see if the metabolism "starts again" and you get a new speed to the fat loss.
BUT, very often people eat anything on these eating days wich is not optional, to speed up the metabolism you should eat as clean carbs as possible, avoid junkfats... soft candies are ok (mainly sugar), ricecakes, rise, sweet potato, pasta, cereals, puddings etc.
If you try, start the day with fast sugars, like candies and cereals then as the day goes on add rice, sweet potato and so on - keep proteins as usual or so..
You could try to change your macros...30% protein ok , then 35%fat 35% carbs. Eat 50% of your daily carbs around workouts (around=before, during, after) 25%carbs with breakfeast and the rest 25% with the rest you eat.
1gram of carbs ties about 3grams of water to the body. If you have a good balance of salts and electrolytes in your body the most of the water ties to musclesell wich then gives energy to workout - if not, it's mainly between skin and muscle and you get the puffy look - so magnesium, some potissium is good and hopefully the salt you use is himalaijan salt(pink one) or a good quality of seasalt.

Eat good carbs and protein about 2hrs before workout, and a recovery drink right after workout would be great - recovery drink with good protein, maybe some glutamine amino acid and creatine in it (not necessairly) close to 50/50 ratio with protein (whey)/carbs.
Good Luck!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
Jan Hedman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hedman View Post
Brendan had a good answer to you already..
I'd say that 20 grams of carbs for someone who exercises is absolutley too little. Maybe for a short period of time (1-3) weeks but not longer. One easy way to notice is that if you have had any type of brain fog or similar your carb intake is way too low.
I have same opinion, you are eating too little, increase the food amount like recomended, but increase the calories slowly. If you increase the calories from 1700 to some 2500kcal/day its too big change, 100-200kcal/day for a week or some 10days, then increase again...
When you are on a diet the body gets used to lower calories and the body want to protect the body so the metabolism get slower - and then of course the fatburning gets more difficult. Thats why many people (especially bodybuilders) have a "eating day" for example once a week/ two weeks. Increase the calories a lot, say if you now eat a 1700kcal, increase to 3000-4000kcal for a day or two and see if the metabolism "starts again" and you get a new speed to the fat loss.
BUT, very often people eat anything on these eating days wich is not optional, to speed up the metabolism you should eat as clean carbs as possible, avoid junkfats... soft candies are ok (mainly sugar), ricecakes, rise, sweet potato, pasta, cereals, puddings etc.
If you try, start the day with fast sugars, like candies and cereals then as the day goes on add rice, sweet potato and so on - keep proteins as usual or so..
You could try to change your macros...30% protein ok , then 35%fat 35% carbs. Eat 50% of your daily carbs around workouts (around=before, during, after) 25%carbs with breakfeast and the rest 25% with the rest you eat.
1gram of carbs ties about 3grams of water to the body. If you have a good balance of salts and electrolytes in your body the most of the water ties to musclesell wich then gives energy to workout - if not, it's mainly between skin and muscle and you get the puffy look - so magnesium, some potissium is good and hopefully the salt you use is himalaijan salt(pink one) or a good quality of seasalt.

Eat good carbs and protein about 2hrs before workout, and a recovery drink right after workout would be great - recovery drink with good protein, maybe some glutamine amino acid and creatine in it (not necessairly) close to 50/50 ratio with protein (whey)/carbs.
Good Luck!
I forgot to mention fruits as a carb source. Apples,bananas, pineapple etc. Pineapple and papaya are good for athletes, they have enzymes that help protein absorption...