CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Michael Hollister

Profile:
Dealing With Pre-Existing Injuries and Chronic Pain

Looking for some help...

What types of injuries and pain have held you back from CrossFitting at the level you want to?

I’ve had shoulder pain, lower back pain, and overall feelings of instability. As an active and fairly strong military guy, it never seemed to make sense. As a result, I couldn’t perform nearly the full “spectrum” of CrossFit that I wanted to (and knew I could), such as olympic lifts and gymnastic moves. It made me feel extremely frustrated, knowing that I had the drive and discipline to excel with CrossFit but was limited by this pain. It was also disheartening to watch my friends continue to progress while I plateaued, and especially to miss the camaraderie when I had to take time off completely. There’s no substitute for the community of CrossFit or for the satisfaction that comes from achieving those performance breakthroughs.

Through years of searching for a solution, I found that compromised foundational stability and chronic pain--even pre-existing injuries--have to be dealt with through correcting fundamental alignment and movement.

What sustainable solutions have you found to deal with your pain or injuries?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Dealing With Pre-Existing Injuries and Chronic Pain

I would see an orthopedic surgeon. Not to get operated on but to get a diagnosis with xrays if they are needed. Knowing what you have is the first step in treatment, making it better, and hopeful return to a higher level of activity.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:26 AM   #3
Alex Burden

Profile:

Visit a chiropraktor, get some x-rays done and see what this person says.

Allot of people have lived with very common problems where a simple visit to a chiropraktor could have solved it. You might only need tweeking a little to get rid of the problem.

A simple back problem does not mean you have a back problem. It only the symptom, the problem could be somewhere else.

I know this from experience from an excellent chiropraktor over many years. Late last year i had lower back problems! the cause was a few bones being locked in my left foot and a rib sitting a little out of place.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Michael Hollister

Profile:

Sean and Alex,

Thanks for the replies!

I should have been clearer in my initial post.

I actually already know from various diagnoses and treatments (X-rays, MRIs, diagnosed labrum tear, shoulder surgery, physical therapy, diagnosed Degenerative Disk Disease) what the issues are.

My frustration came from the fact that, despite going through all my protocols to heal these issues, I was still limited.

I was sick of going around the constant circle of

1. Work out
2. Work out a little harder
3. Re-injure myself with a back spasm
4. Get a massage to soften the tissue
5. Go to a chiropractor to get realigned
6. Take some time off to let things heal and settle.
7. Go back to working out
8. Work out a little harder and reinjure myself
9. Go around the circle again.

It became obvious to me that I needed to retrain my body to be more stable and aligned. It seemed to me that my body should be self-reliant enough to perform healthy, functional movements without pain.

Thankfully through my research I found a method to retrain and strengthen these stabilizing muscles that has enabled me to CrossFit again without pain and re-occurring injury.

I was wondering, specifically in this realm of realignment and strengthening of stabilization muscles, if anyone has also used this technique and found success?