CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
mike vinson

Profile:
Lab Results - Help

hey guys, i had a physical last week. i had the results mailed to me but i can't really interpet the numbers. i thought maybe we had some people on here that could. as always, thanks in advance.

Framington coronary heart disease score - risk is 4% in the next 10 years.
Blood pressure - 113/70
BMI is 34 (5'8" - 221 - bodyfat 18% with calapiers)
Blood sugar - 88
Hemoglobin A1c(HbA1c) is 5.7
Cholesterol - 243
LDL - 155
HDL - 63
Triglyceride - 126
Bp systolic - 113
BP diastolic 70

Treamill stress test - 7:31 on bruce protocol level 10.1 METS
max BP was 144/74

Serum iron - 145
ALT AST GGT were elevated
Vitamin D - 33.4
Uric Acid - 7.7
Cardiac C-Reactive Protien - .66
PSA - 1.5

anyway, thanks for any input.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Lab Results - Help

They didn't include reference normal ranges with the results?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
Miles Roberts

Profile:

I JUST had mine done too. I don't have it in front of me, but here's what I actually remember, and I was paying most attention to cholesterol and triglycerides.

Tri safe range is 30-150, so you're ok there.
HDL (good cholesterol) safe range is 40-150, the higher the better, so you're ok there.
LDL, they want you to be under 130, so you're a little high there.

Another important number though, is the ratio of total cholesterol to good cholesterol. You want that number as low as possible, with below 4 being healthy.

Yours is (155+63)/63 = 218/63 = about 3.5. So even though your LDL (bad) is high, your ratio is really good.

Everything could be better, but I'd sleep easy.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
mike vinson

Profile:

that's what i wanted to hear. i knew there was something about the good vs the bad but didn't know exactly what...thanks miles.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

FYI, http://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/1...ide-hdl-ratio/ wfs
Old 11-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

First thing.
Either post all the results as they inter relate each other

Plus the result differ from lab to lab do to equipment and test strips and interpretation... So the reference ranges are needed.

Next thing. Your age would have been nice to know which helps cause blood work of a 20 something is far different than a 50 something.

I am going to assume you are 50 plus or 40 something with heart issues. As you had a stress test.
So with out a back story....
Your a1c which looks like your sugar level over the last 2-3 months. Is borderline line. Borderline diabetes? Or you were having diet high in refine sugar and starch. Glycolated hemoglobin is like tree ring count to determine age. So somewhere in time you having problems with elevated sugars or just eat donuts daily.
Radom glucose 88- is normal. But since you didn't say.. I will assume your fAsting ... Hence its normal ... Yet a1c is borderline high.. You maybe have problems.

Given you were tested for uric acid. Your over 45 and have gout or gout symptoms or on a diuretic medication Or you drink a lot of beer or are eating a ton of high protein foods. It borderline high again.

Giving an iron level without the rest of the profile is useless. Why tested? You hypothyroid? Were you taking a multi vit with iron and weren't aware that males shouldn't be taking supplements with iron ? Or was you last cbc test poor?

See. , Back story needed, And lastly... You should be talking to the clinical person that ordered this stuff who actually sees and know the big picture
Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #7
Josh Brand

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
hey guys, i had a physical last week. i had the results mailed to me but i can't really interpet the numbers. i thought maybe we had some people on here that could. as always, thanks in advance.

Framington coronary heart disease score - risk is 4% in the next 10 years.
Blood pressure - 113/70
BMI is 34 (5'8" - 221 - bodyfat 18% with calapiers)
Blood sugar - 88
Hemoglobin A1c(HbA1c) is 5.7
Cholesterol - 243
LDL - 155
HDL - 63
Triglyceride - 126
Bp systolic - 113
BP diastolic 70

Treamill stress test - 7:31 on bruce protocol level 10.1 METS
max BP was 144/74

Serum iron - 145
ALT AST GGT were elevated
Vitamin D - 33.4
Uric Acid - 7.7
Cardiac C-Reactive Protien - .66
PSA - 1.5

anyway, thanks for any input.
Hi Mike, I am a Clinical Laboratory Technician and can help interpret some of these results.

For your blood tests, your A1c levels are in range and healthy. This is the measurement of glycosylated hemoglobin in your blood over the past 3 months (the average life cycle of a RBC) This is an indicator of your average risk for diabetes, and the average amount of glucose in your blood cells in the past 3 months. If it goes over 7, this is usually considered a risk factor for Diabetes, and high average blood sugar.

Your current blood glucose level also looks healthy: considering you are fasting, or should be during the time of this test.

Lipids:
Looks fine and in range for all. LDL may be a bit on the high side.
Cholesterol reference range is dependant on the hospital but mainly it is 120-200. Yours is a bit on the high side.

PSA: prostate specific antigen - usually used to indicate your risk for prostate cancer. A level above 4.0 ng/mL is considered a risk factor.

Liver function: All your enzymes were apparently elevated, and your doctor can help you take the next steps to addressing this issue. This could also be due to muscle building and muscle damage as well, probably no need to be alarmed, but would still talk with your physician.

It is good that your GGT is elevated along with your ALP AST, this usually means that the reason behind your ALP AST elevations are not due to bone diseases or abnormalities, and more likely a liver function problem.

Overall, you look fairly healthy my friend.

NOTE: None of this is to be taken as a diagnosis or medical advice, this is only personal interpretation.

Last edited by Josh Brand : 02-09-2016 at 09:00 AM.