CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-18-2016, 02:21 AM   #1
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
Butt wink, vertical torso foot stance and femur length

i'm wondering if anyone has experimented with this or knows anything about this.

i know the Mobility WOD SOP of braced neutral spine.
I know about the knees out cue.
which is all well and good.

but i'm wondering if the width of your stance relative to trying to keep vertical (which logically directly affects buttwink) affects buttwink.

by this, i mean, i notice ppl who got butt wink amongst my training population all have narrow stances, which isn't a problem in of itself, except the taller they are (or more accurately the longer their femurs) the more pronounced their buttwink, in this narrow position.

so i'm wondering (before i try anything) if anyone else has suggested widening their squat stance and successfully got rid of buttwink.

i appreciate this is a real beginners question, i'm just curious to find out other, more experienced trainers/coaches insights into this.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #2
Patrick A Horsman

Profile:
Re: Butt wink, vertical torso foot stance and femur length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
i'm wondering if anyone has experimented with this or knows anything about this.

i know the Mobility WOD SOP of braced neutral spine.
I know about the knees out cue.
which is all well and good.

but i'm wondering if the width of your stance relative to trying to keep vertical (which logically directly affects buttwink) affects buttwink.

by this, i mean, i notice ppl who got butt wink amongst my training population all have narrow stances, which isn't a problem in of itself, except the taller they are (or more accurately the longer their femurs) the more pronounced their buttwink, in this narrow position.

so i'm wondering (before i try anything) if anyone else has suggested widening their squat stance and successfully got rid of buttwink.

i appreciate this is a real beginners question, i'm just curious to find out other, more experienced trainers/coaches insights into this.
It isn't really about femur length at all - its about relative limb lengths. From catalyst

"The effect of hip width on foot placement should be self-explanatory—this is the origin of the legs and consequently the starting point for the stance. Relative leg segment length affects how far back the foot travels relative to the thigh as the knee flexes. The longer the lower leg is relative to the upper leg, the farther toward the hip the foot will be when the knee is closed—this means that the longer the lower leg is relative to the upper leg, the closer the feet will be in a sound squat position. In other words, the overall length of the legs is not enough to determine squat stance—how that length is created is what matters."

If your upper and lower limbs are relatively equal, a moderate stance will be biomechanically easiest. If your femur is longer a wider stance, and if your shin is longer, and narrower stance.

Anterior pelvic tilt as a lot of causes - one of which can be squatting too narrow for the lifters amount of external rotation and stance width (e.g. the fron of the him literally has nowhere else to go so the torso has to flex to hit depth). I find it rare that a person is squatting comfortably that narrow. More often it is a lack of pure hip mobility or core stability (including a lack of awareness of bracing) or both.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
Re: Butt wink, vertical torso foot stance and femur length

thanks, just (the explanation) what i was looking for, appreciate the response!