CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
Gregory Norman

Profile:
I'm back to square one with my WODs thanks Wendler System and stupid me!!!!

Can the crossfit community fix me? I started the Wendler system a couple of months ago. That's all I did for four weeks. I didn't incorporate the Wendler system with my WODs. Now I'm back to doing the WODs and the WODs are kicking my ***. I'm a little stronger but my metabolic conditioning has fallen off. Yes, I feel really out of shape!!!! It seems like every time I step into the box, it feels like my first day doing crossfit. I'm 58 years old and have been doing crossfit for 3 years. I would like to be stronger in order to do well in the WODs. Any advice?
Old 01-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: I'm back to square one with my WODs thanks Wendler System and stupid me!!!!

I think you are doing right. Build strength( as you did) now maintain that strength.

To get you ''wind'' back, you just have to keep hitting the metcons. After a week it will get a bit better.(meaning 3 or 4 times in the week) and after 2or 3 weeks you should be getting back to the feel of it.

Consistency is the key. Stay the corse.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Does you gym follow a strength and metcon? What kind of programming are they doing?
Old 01-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

In my opinion, if you're going to do a strength cycle like Wendler you should do it for 3-6 months at a time. Not much strength is going to be gained in lifting steadily for only 1 month, whereas doing it for months at a time not only gives you more time to work on your form but it will also add valuable strength gains.

If you are more concerned with gaining strength at this point in time, then do a structured lifting program such as Wendler for a couple months. If you dont want to lose so much of your conditioning, then do several short CF style workouts or straight cardio sessions each week to keep it up. If you look up the 5/3/1 program Wendler advises types of conditioning to be added on a weekly basis. Farmer carries, sprints, jogging, weighted vest walking, tabata sets, DUs and rowing all work great for short conditioning sessions.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #5
Philipp Lendner

Profile:

At your age, recovery will be key. Try to get good sleep and good food. Maybe reduce your total volume. As said before, combine a strength program with short conditioning sessions. Or use a program that already combines both, like CrossFit Football.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
Bryan Hood

Profile:

When you do Wendler you should also incorporate conditioning. I don't know how many times I've done it. I don't do it anymore. I'm strict Westside. I do maybe 2 MetCons per month and can still hang with the younger folks. It's totally fine to do your Wendler set, 2 or 3 accessory moves then a sub 10 min MetCon. On your days off of Wendler you should do MetCons sub 20 min. I'm starting a Wendler cycle for my affiliate tomorrow. I have opted to condense it down to 3 instead of 4 weeks. We'll hit all 4 days on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri. Wednesday will be a barbell free day. This is an experiment I'm playing with. It'll be demanding but hey...so is Smolov.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Yeah, I agree with these other guys that said you should incorporate a CrossFit metcon with your Wendler. That can be as simple as Run/Row 5k, or some basic AMRAPs. You'd want to do benchmark WODs from time to time as well.

I'm basically giving the folks at my affiliate a Wendler program in the strength portion of every class. We follow that with a WOD, usually some AMRAP or blender, occasionally a girl or hero. It's working very well.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

I know this is an old post, but as an older guy, I have to disagree with some of the other posters. If your goal is to get stronger, focus on that. One or two cycles of 531 is not going to get you very far. Conditioning is much more easily attained than strength. Have you ever done a strength program before? What are your numbers now? If you are not very strong, I highly suggest doing only strength for a few months. At 58, you have a much more limited capacity to recover than a younger person. To really gain significant strength, you need to recover from your strength work. If you absolutely can't leave the conditioning alone, keep it very short, like 5 x 30 sec sprints on the Air-Dyne or Rower, with 5:1 rest/work ratio, done on off days preferably, or after your strength work. Doing WOD's of more than 5 minutes will blunt your strength gains. You will progress much faster using a program like Starting Strength than on 531. When/if you decide to restart the WOD's, you will quickly exceed where you left off with your increased strength, especially for any workout that involves handling significant weight. Make sure that you eat enough to fuel muscle gain, 0.5 to 1.0 gram of protein per lb of bwt per day. Forget a Zone diet. You need calories.