CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Rich or Matt?

Sure Matt has a few more years to prove himself but this year was dominant and against people who gave Rich a go. I believe it gets harder each year to win the games but basically 200 more points ahead makes a statement. Rich has 7 years of victory basically without any real injuries that I have heard of? We will see if Matt can stay healthy and stay on top. Might be another person out of nowhere that comes up but right now he is staying the champ for a while.

Who wins the battle head on Matt or Rich?

Sadly they had them together at the Ranch.. silly repeat of a silly workout that Matt smoked him on.. much shorter so had the advantage.

I pick Matt right now because that is all that he focuses on. Rich has a wife and kid, gym, team..
Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Rich or Matt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post

Sadly they had them together at the Ranch.. silly repeat of a silly workout that Matt smoked him on.. much shorter so had the advantage.
Matt also beat Rich at the pegboard WOD for ~20seconds. Thou Rich had no competition so maybe he would be faster with some pressure.

But most likely you are right, Matt seems better now, at least at the current competition format which it seems is more stamina related than strength.

In WODs like The Cinco 1 from 2013 I am pretty sure Rich would beat him.

I do hope, next years focus, is more strength related, to only see one heavy barbell in 2016 is a shame.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:57 AM   #3
Alex Burden

Profile:

Rich would go 85-90% only and win, how hard did Matt push it this year?

It would be a close battle and Rich would have to push harder than before.

Who would win... Good question, Rich has already beat him at the games, so Rich is the answer.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #4
John Drohan

Profile:

I think Fraser 2016 vs Froning 2012 would be a good battle.

As of today, it's Fraser based on his 2016 games performance.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
Michael V. Erickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
Sure Matt has a few more years to prove himself but this year was dominant and against people who gave Rich a go. I believe it gets harder each year to win the games but basically 200 more points ahead makes a statement. Rich has 7 years of victory basically without any real injuries that I have heard of? We will see if Matt can stay healthy and stay on top. Might be another person out of nowhere that comes up but right now he is staying the champ for a while.

I pick Matt right now because that is all that he focuses on. Rich has a wife and kid, gym, team..
For me it's like watching two eagles flying a mile high over my head and trying to decide which one is the better flyer.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Lol at how fast people forget about Rich. Even watching the mens video at the games site I was surprised. People just have Mat fever right now, but everyone forgets that Rich won the open, regional, and games so many times in a row.

Don't forget that Rich beat mat this year in the open. This year. And Rich was only 4s behind Mat on the snatch workout 16.1 at regionals... but Rich wasn't at regionals. He was in his garage. Just chillin.

Also you can't compare Rich's old wins to mat now. Rich paved the way to a new crossfit games. He was the 1st to do what he did and how he did it, now everyone trains like he does. It's like being the first guy to break the 4:00 mile barrier. Everyone thinks it's impossible, then once you do it 50 other guys do it. Rich showed what was possible with no one in front of him. He also didn't just hide in his parents basement either, he taught everyone else how to fish, and still continued beating them.

And really Mats finishes the two years before this (not winning) weren't due to a lack of skill in knowing how to use his feet on rope climbs. He just plain wasn't good enough.

I dunno, Mat had a great performance this year, kudos to him. But I won't even bother hesitating between the two until he can remain unbeaten at every level of competition for a few years in a row.

Also don't forget... Rich is still winning. Just with a team this time.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

Hey Jordan!

Couldn't agree more. Rich has been ON TOP of the podium for 6 straight years. These last 2 some might argue that he brought others up with him.

And he did it while owning a business, having a wife and now a daughter.

For now, no comparison.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #8
John Drohan

Profile:

I agree with the previous two posters, Rich definitely has an unquestionable edge over everyone else in the history of the sport.

My belief however, is that Fraser's 2016 performance is the most dominant single year performance ever.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #9
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drohan View Post
I agree with the previous two posters, Rich definitely has an unquestionable edge over everyone else in the history of the sport.

My belief however, is that Fraser's 2016 performance is the most dominant single year performance ever.
I think we would all agree it was 'dominating' against the field but as pointed out there are a few major things to look at:

1. He trains all year long. Nothing else. Again when compared to Rich, Rich spent time promoting the sport, working with others, building a community, starting a family and more. He didn't put his head down in a garage and go 24/7.

2. The competition he is against have been in the game for years and are starting to reach that peak or have gone past it and are trying to hold on. He isn't there just yet. I like Ben and the rest of the gang but lets be honest, many of the guys are doing everything they can to 'hold' onto what they have. Age is catching up and the youth of today are pushing them off the platform.

3. Matt has the advantage of the groundwork being laid. Back in Rich's day they were trying to find the best way to train. Now 4+ years later athletes know what is required to get to the next level and the volume and training needed to be able to compete.

4. This year was a big engine year. Had stuff been heavier (look at the deadlift ladder) he would have lost a lot more points. At that point the gap between everyone would have been less and we wouldn't have seen such a 'dominating' lead.

I think Matt has a lot left in him and can do some great things provided he stays healthy. That said for us to say after 1 victory 'omg he's better than rich' is way to early and unfair to a man who has given up and still gives so much to the sport.

Just like everyone thought Ben was going to kill it again this year, one years win doesn't make you better than Rich.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #10
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

yes both top of the game. got my money on Matt as of right now. But if Rich went as individual would be hard to bet against.