CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

John,
I know that its not possible yet… but someday they are going to have to make the sport new and improved. They can't always just save the good stuff like the peg wall for the games. People want to do this.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Until numbers start to dwindle they will continue along the same path.

I find this curious as the original appeal was that regular type folks could compete at this, but now even local events have turned into invite only "Pro" spectacles and taken most of the regular people out of the equation.

i totally understand the appeal of competition for people that were formerly competitive in something else, I just have to think that in another year or two most folks will find it less and less interesting to try and see how they stack up in something like the Open.

I could be very wrong though..............
Old 01-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #13
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Jason you are right. Keep with the present model until you find you need to change. If they have over 300k people do the open then its working. 250k or under maybe something cool and new. I think that they have the option to change their minds thru the open.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #14
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

The world is a A LOT bigger than we like to think. For every one of you that have done CF/The Open for several years now, there are MANY others who have never done a CF workout even.

There is a natural cycle to things. You will get bored and jaded of competing (when you realize you're not going to win anything) at the same time as some kid is diving head first into the kool-aid bowl. And there are probably way more of them than us . Honestly, when things get too big, I think most retreat into and are happy enough in their local tribe. There are still plenty of reasons for people to want to compete within their own gym, regardless of their worldwide Open score. Girls, for one. Girls like it when you finish 43rd but throw down, like, hardcore bro, and can still stand up and celebrate the achievements of others afterwards. Being a big fish in a small pond is also pretty satisfying. So is PRing, and y'know, pushing yourself, self-actualizing and all that.

Not everyone has to like the Open or even CF for it to continue being very successful. Not even close. It isn't pizza. My bet is that CF will respond to the market over time and fill in the gaps, or the market itself will. We're already doing it on the affiliate level with Intramural Opens. I don't think anyone is going to step up and create something better than the Open. HQ is already light-years ahead, still improving, and have effectively cornered the market. I signed up for the Open today, doing it just to do it; to celebrate all the growth I have had that you can't measure. Keep on doing what you enjoy!
Old 01-15-2016, 12:56 AM   #15
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Until numbers start to dwindle they will continue along the same path.

I find this curious as the original appeal was that regular type folks could compete at this, but now even local events have turned into invite only "Pro" spectacles and taken most of the regular people out of the equation.

i totally understand the appeal of competition for people that were formerly competitive in something else, I just have to think that in another year or two most folks will find it less and less interesting to try and see how they stack up in something like the Open.

I could be very wrong though..............

On the first point, there are competitions that are "novice and intermediate" only such as the festivus games. Then there are some competitions that are crazy even for the "Scaled" division where they call for the scaled athletes to have muscleups, DU's, and at least a 185/125lb C+J.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #16
Price Goosby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
John,
I know that its not possible yet… but someday they are going to have to make the sport new and improved. They can't always just save the good stuff like the peg wall for the games. People want to do this.
The point of the open is to be as inclusive as possible, it's why rowers weren't even introduced until a year or two ago. Every workout has to be tailored so that the general public has access to the equipment needed.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #17
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price Goosby View Post
The point of the open is to be as inclusive as possible, it's why rowers weren't even introduced until a year or two ago. Every workout has to be tailored so that the general public has access to the equipment needed.
The thing is that CFHQ now assumes that most people will be doing the Open in an affiliate setting. Thus, HQ can start to include more complex movements such as bar MU, pistols, rope climbs, KB swings, and others.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
CFHQ now assumes that most people will be doing the Open in an affiliate setting.
I doubt that...

But when it doubt, a home CrossFitter could always drop in on an affiliate to be judged for any workout that they lack equipment.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #19
Diana Alt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
I doubt that...

But when it doubt, a home CrossFitter could always drop in on an affiliate to be judged for any workout that they lack equipment.
CrossFit would know best how many people do the workouts at affiliates, since the process for getting scores validated is different if you do the WOD elsewhere.
there are certainly lots of videos to validate every year, but the majority absolutely go to an affiliate.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #20
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Looks like they are going to have one of the open announcements in a Garage gym.. Guess that its cool for them to do. I like the big stage with the crowd. Guess someone's gym could be quite big.

Cheers
Vic