CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #31
Kevin Locker

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I am not a top 10 games competitor but this is not because of my gym, my age, my genetics, the attention I've been given, the options they have or any other reason or even my physical capability. I am not a top 10 games competitor because I have not made it a priority to be one. Therefore, I have not sacrificed and/or worked hard enough to deserve to be there. .It is just about priority, discipline and effort.

Sorry, but I have to call BS to a certain extent on this. While making sacrifices is what separates the best of the best from the good, you can't possibly believe that genetics doesn't play a part. It determines your ceiling, and often your starting point.
I come from a running background, and as someone who outworked all his teammates in HS- putting in 60+ mile weeks and 2 a days, I was third or fourth man on the team. Being naturally predisposed to put on muscle, and having a middling V02 capacity- I could put in all the work in the world, and be mediocre at best- it would be at my best.

Now in CF, the individual naturally built for distance running- low muscle mass, higher percentage of slow twitch fibers... they can do all the work they want, and get decent at CF, but I can tell you that a Ryan Hall could spend his whole life lifting, and never Clean and Jerk 300+ pounds.

I know this is a bit of a thread hi-jack, but the idea that it's only hard work, and genetics don't factor in is bunk.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #32
Jason Dimaio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli Talaska View Post
I think you are bizarrely overreacting to something here. Presumably, there is already a difference between members who donated $20 to the CF Games, I mean, registered for the open (said lightheartedly, as I am one of the people who registers despite no chance of making it to regionals), and those who didn't. If you're registered, you do the open wod as Rx'd on open wod day and you get someone to judge you and count for you. If not, you do whatever scaled version is best for you, business as usual, just perhaps with a bit more hoopla and excitement generated by people competing.

Setting up little cameras for a couple members is hardly a huge jump. It's not like you have to call in the paparazzi or break out crazy giant video cameras. You can just prop up your basic point-and-shoot to catch the action. It doesn't have to be an ordeal.

If people get freaked out by working out in the same room as potential regional competitors, how do they make it to the box on a day-to-day basis?
Which was my bizarre overreaction? When I said I understand why the change had to be made? When I said I get the need for it, now that CrossFit has gone so mainstream? Jesus, Kelli. I just lamented a little bit of the inclusion for the entire community going away, is all. Don't advertise it as something that everyone should take part in anymore, if you truly are just donating $20 to have a partial experience now.

Also, you could stand to have a little bit of what's called "empathy" for some of those that aren't as tough-as-nails as you. There are plenty of those paying their money to participate in CrossFit, too.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #33
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I don't understand where the inclusion is being lost here?

If somebody who works out in a garage all by themselves can manage to video workouts for previous Opens, how is it less inclusive to require that people at affiliates where lots of people are available (I'm assuming your affiliate goes in smaller heats like most do) do the same, whether you have a chance to make Regionals or not? I had 2 or 3 of my Open workouts videoed last year and I didn't have a shot at Regionals, I wasn't a top athlete at my gym nor did I ask to be recorded.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #34
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I hear you, Jason. I get it. It kills the imagination. I'd like to imagine that I can qualify for Regionals. When it's workout 14.1 and the countdown is 3-2-1, go! I'm just as good as the next guy. Anything is possible. It's only after five weeks of my mediocre performance that my dream has died a slow death.

By admitting the fact up front and saying, "Why bother making a video of this?" the dream is dead before it begins.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #35
Chris Luu

Profile:

Hey guys, I plan on travelling quite a bit in March during the Open. Am I able to go into any affiliate to do the WOD for that week and register my score? This is my first CrossFit Open. Thanks ahead for the responses.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #36
Michael Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Luu View Post
Hey guys, I plan on travelling quite a bit in March during the Open. Am I able to go into any affiliate to do the WOD for that week and register my score? This is my first CrossFit Open. Thanks ahead for the responses.
Yes, you can have your wod validated at any affiliate. There were a couple of articles on the CF Games website last year about people who had done just that. One I remember was from a guy who was a sound technician for Justin Beiber's touring show. He went into a different affiliate each week to do the Open. Another guy was on vacation with his family for spring break.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #37
Oli Kellett

Profile:

Depends on the affiliate and whether or not they will score your WODs as you aren't a member.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #38
Christopher Morris

Profile:

If recommend you call ahead to arrange your visit.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #39
Jason A Smith

Profile:

For the first two years my only option was either drive 3-4 hours to get to an affiliate or video my events. I even have video of my brutal crunchy shoulder injury.

Doing it at the affiliate last year was absolutely no different. In 2012 when I was actually trying to qualify and had to submit video it choked me a bit that other guys didn't have to. I think it is great that you either put up or shut up. The top 2-3% make it through to Regionals and less to the Games. For those people that have put in the effort only to get snubbed by someone who did partial ROM is ridiculous. This forces those people to be a little more honest. I don't think it will kill anything.

Last year when I did them at the affiliate the owner had a great run through the Open and qualified through. Having a camera on his efforts would not have bothered anyone at all, least of all me, and I was doing it just for fun.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #40
Clint Harris

Profile:

To video, or not to video? That is the question.