CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #721
Milton Brisson

Profile:
Re: Jason's Workout Log

Yeah, you will probably need to do full snatches at the 165. I would recomend doing the last 3-4 of the 135s as full snatch, get your legs ready to get down!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #722
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Thanks Milt, but my power and full snatch are about the same. Mostly I'll be looking to get under the bar quickly.

Had a good rest last night. Feeling pretty good today

Row 10 minutes EZ
2100 meters
+
10 minutes of light calisthenics/crossfit skills - no muscle endurance work
Did two rounds of Crossfit and Burgener warm up
+
Row 10 minutes EZ
2100 meters
+
12.2 oriented mobility work

Did the mobility stuff and also worked the first transition for tomorrow. Took about 20 seconds. I feel ready to go for tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #723
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Honestly just getting that 61st rep is going to move you way up. Not even half our region has submitted and there's already a massive jam at 60 reps. I'm sure you can get a couple. If you have a decent Isabelle time my advice is to do the 135s in triples or even doubles. Singles wastes a lot of time and continually revs the heart rate. I found doing singles I couldn't recover. I started doing triples and I'd rev up and take a few seconds to recover. It was faster and I felt better. Also, Power Snatch from the get go. Muscle snatching will mess you up. I PS'd the whole time and never failed. You just get lower as needed and you don't fatigue your shoulders as much.

*** down and chest up! Use those legs! Good luck buddy.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #724
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Well I got that 61st rep. It may have cost me more than places in a fitness competition.

I did 12.2 today and it went really well until I got to 165. I missed the first rep but made the second rep with some serious "crunching" of my shoulders. I still have full range of motion but I am pretty sore right now. I am hopeful that I am not done but anything OH this week and I might be done. Once the video is uploaded I will post the link but my reaction after I drop the weight will tell the story. That stung a great deal and I am icing right now. We will see how I feel tomorrow and Tuesday but my WSOE looks like it could be done.

Otherwise my strategy and plan were spot on. I gave myself a full 2:00 to try for the 165. My pacing at 75 and 135 was great and I don't feel at all gross like doing the Burpees. Maybe just was overreaching a bit too much.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #725
Robert Foley

Profile:

Congrats on 61! VERY impressive!! So sorry to hear you hurt yourself. Sounds like the sets of 75 and 135 where pretty easy for you. I'm sure the fatigue crept up on ya, relatively unnoticed. That's the unfortunate danger of high rep snatches that increase in weight. A 30# jump is rough. Really hope it's only minor! Take care of yourself.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #726
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Jason, nice work on the 61 reps! That does suck about your injury (?)! I hope that icing and resting will loosen it up and there is no real problem! I know that my right wrist is still a little sore from that one, and I am 3 full days removed.

Hope that things are well!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #727
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Thanks guys, I was feeling strong yesterday, today not so much. Went and saw the doctor. They believe I may have a torn rotator cuff (and a seriously bruised ego). Honestly wouldn't surprise me a great deal. I have to go for an ultrasound in Regina (2 hours away) to confirm and I have a physiotherapy appointment for Wednesday afternoon.

So, it looks like my Crossfit season has come to an end, but I will be on the mend looking to get my shoulders back to 100% so that I can get back to snatching and jerking big weights.

I know it has been mentioned a few times but this may be the last time I do any Oly work at or near max while fatigued. Not really worth it. Reality is I probably should have shut it down at 60 reps and gone from there. I think a good rule of thumb for me might be 70% of my max for reps when fatigued. The fact that I was already somewhat tweaked in my left shoulder from January is also likely a contributing factor. Getting older doesn't necessarily make you smarter.

We'll see if the event announced on Wednesday is even remotely doable for me just so I can post a score. There will be a lot of stuff I likely cannot do at all. Kind of disappointing as I worked really hard the last eight months to prepare. Especially this last three months or so. I felt I was making great strides in my "fitness".

Regardless, I am happy to know what is wrong and ready to move forward.

Onward !
Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #728
Joe Camillaci

Profile:

Good luck on Wednesday. Hopefully it is not torn and you won't be down too long.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #729
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Sucks to hear Jason. You can still get a good amount of work done at the gym though even if it is torn. My boss tore his a while ago and basically just couldn't do heavy snatches or jerks. He could still clean, row, and do other kinds of pulling movements as long as he kept his elbows in. I'm sure Brendan will have a good plan set out for you to rehab plus if you get a good physio you already have the drive to do what they tell you so you'll bounce back.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #730
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Darn right it sucks Jordan. Right now I am planning on basically taking time off until I find out exactly what I am dealing with. I am scheduled for an ultrasound on March 28th (although I am on the cancellation list so it could be sooner) and I start with my physiotherapist today. I fully plan on getting back to training and today my shoulders are feeling better but still not quite "right". They feel out of place and are very clicky and clunky.

So as it stands unless it's box jumps and squats I am out of the Open competition. I really can't risk damaging myself any more just to be an "exerciser". I make a living doing other stuff and being really broken won't help. I will be leaderboarding to see where everyone finishes and depending the movements may do a couple reps just to post a score.

This has not been a fun couple of days and it is a let down for sure. But I will be back and will keep improving. So right now I am on hold with Brendan, but I feel I made some great progress even briefly working with a coach.