CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #971
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Oh, NM then. That sounds reasonable. My bad.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:39 PM   #972
Mike Carter

Profile:

Hey folks quick question. I have the ebook, but wanted some quick clarification.

The program is (for me) M-W-F. Alternate bench/press with squats,DL,squats. Accessories are curls and chins.

My questions are these:
Can you do pull ups instead of chins?
With the push ups and chins, do you do "X" sets throughout the day and then non during the actual workout or do you get in a set or 2 during the workout?
Only 2 "accessory" exercises per workout for 2 sets?

So a "typical" workout would be:
Bench 5, 5, 5+
Squat 5, 5 , 5+
Chins 6-8x2
Curls b-8x2
(Push ups and chins throughout the day)

Thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #973
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I would say yes, there really isn't much difference. A difference but it's not like it's a completely different exercise.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #974
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

When I was doing GSLP I would spread FM pushup sets throughout the day, then do a few more sets of FM pushups and pullups as part of my warm for my lifts. You can start with 2-3 FM sets per day then ramp up to 5-6 if you want to.

Chins vs. pulls doesn't really matter.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #975
Dakota Base

Profile:

Chin-ups will produce a different body shape than pull ups, and different muscular balance in your back. They're not THAT different, but different enough that if you do a lot of one and not the other, then switch, you'll immediately see and feel the difference.

I'd be prone to believe that GSLP has chins rather than pulls because it's designed, as others have mentioned, to be more comprehensive and fill in some gaps compared to SS or PP. GSLP has a more "lifestyle strength" and "appearance of strength" vibe going, rather than SS/PP's sole focus upon competitive lifts as a measure of strength. The difference in Chins vs Pulls is apparent for this purpose...

Deads will thicken the lats (front to back), and works on developing the length of the lat (top to bottom). Chins focus differently on the lats, with a broadening (side to side). Chins also build more at the base of the lats along the spine compared to pull ups. Deadlifts and pull ups will work more near the top of the lat near the spine (and base of the traps). Chins also focus the biceps more, AND more on the SITS muscles tying around your shoulder blades than pull ups, as well as hitting the brachioradialis and extensor muscles in a different way than any other lift in the program (ok, so switch DL grip hits ONE side in that angle - but it doesn't contract, it's isometric).

So yeah, it's fine to substitute, but I personally wouldn't 100% replace chin ups with pull ups.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #976
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
So yeah, it's fine to substitute, but I personally wouldn't 100% replace chin ups with pull ups.
Any advice on options for people that have a hard time doing chin ups on a straight bar because of wrist pain? I workout at a box only, and have no other way of doing chinups, but straight bar chins kill my right wrist for some reason. Same with heavy straight bar curls. I guess i could use rings, that thought JUST now occurred to me haha.

Also, ill say that i can tell a bit of a difference in musculature from doing mostly pullups like you mention above. I havent done chins in probably a year or more because of my wrist, and my upper back is getting thick from weighted and volume pullups.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #977
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Any advice on options for people that have a hard time doing chin ups on a straight bar because of wrist pain?

...I guess i could use rings, that thought JUST now occurred to me haha...
I've had a lot of wrist injuries in my right wrist (20yrs of holding onto bulls with just your right hand will do that), I have to be very careful about my hand position on chin ups. The closer together my grip, the less torsion I feel in my wrist.

You got it on the ring chins. Parallel grip is a compromise as well.

I'm a chin-up/pull-up fanatic - wide, narrow, chin, pull, parallel, behind neck, C2B, BB2B, levers, weighted, high-rep... you name it, I love it... Mix them up as you go through different sets and different weeks of a cycle.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #978
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Chris, check that right shoulder's flexibility. Undergrip asks for a bit more flexibility in a hang.

Or go with a bit wider of a grip.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #979
Chris Jones

Profile:

Thanks guys, ill experiment with the chin grip. Seems i did feel a little bit better going wider on chins, which also helps me on barbell curls.

Blaire, i never thought about shoulder flexibility. This wrist hardly bothers me in most movements, but mostly on chins and curls with a flat bar. I also have a little elbow pain on this side i thought was tendonitis that comes and goes. Does that sound like shoulder mob. to you or just wrist/forearm?
Old 10-04-2014, 03:31 AM   #980
Kiko Llaneras

Profile:

After reading the GSLP book, and following the routine intermittently, there is something still unclear to me: which weights should I use in the last rep (the one 5+, AMRAP)? Are you using the same weights than in the two first sets? Are you deloading this last set to go for more reps?

So far, I consider the last rep the most important (strongest/intense), but this means that I am a little conservative with the first two. That's how it should be?