CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #951
Joe Wright

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Just a quick question here for those of you squatting heavy a couple times a week. I last squatted Friday for GSLP, and I'm supposed to go in today as well. After my Friday set, I've had some consistent soreness in my hip. It's not serious pain, but it's tender and I feel it while walking, and raising my leg above my waist is a little painful.

I'm guessing I just need to stretch out my ankles more effectively, do more couch stretches, pwo stretches, etc. to get it feeling better.

I know answering this question for me personally is impossible, and that pain is highly subjective. In general, do other folks go under the bar and squat heavy when feeling less than 100%?
Old 11-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #952
Vladimir Demirev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wright View Post
Just a quick question here for those of you squatting heavy a couple times a week. I last squatted Friday for GSLP, and I'm supposed to go in today as well. After my Friday set, I've had some consistent soreness in my hip. It's not serious pain, but it's tender and I feel it while walking, and raising my leg above my waist is a little painful.

I'm guessing I just need to stretch out my ankles more effectively, do more couch stretches, pwo stretches, etc. to get it feeling better.

I know answering this question for me personally is impossible, and that pain is highly subjective. In general, do other folks go under the bar and squat heavy when feeling less than 100%?
100% I've squatted heavy many times when feeling less than 100%
Generally that "less" feeling was due to sickness,lack of sleep,soreness,knee discomfort and even pulled hamstring from 100m sprints.Each time I go into the gym with the idea that I'll start warming-up for the squat and if something doesn't feel right I just call it a day.Well...so far I have never called it a day.

I'm far from expert but my advice is get under the bar,see how it feels and your body will tell you what to do.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #953
James Khetan

Profile:

Hi guys

I'm going to start GSLP tomorrow. I have the ebook and know what to do but have one main question.

I am also starting to run consistently, and as such will be doing 3x20m easy jogs weekly (130-150bpm). I will be building up to 3x60m over 3 months or so. I will also likely include 1-2x a week of other light cardio (elliptical) for 20-30m, again 130-150bpm.

Should I follow the 2 or 3x a week template?

For reference, I'm 6'2 210 17%bf.

Bench: 200
Squat: 230
Dead: 300

1.5m run: 13:30

Thanks guys
Old 07-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #954
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Khetan View Post
Should I follow the 2 or 3x a week template?
I would suggest following the 3-day template. The running that you described isn't going to interfere much with the lifts and you have some room to put on some strength so you'll benefit from the extra day of lifting. You sound like you are going to be pretty smart about ramping up the running over time so you should be able to easily judge if you push too hard and it starts affecting the lifts. The squats are probably going to be the first place where you notice any problems.

Take a look at the Run Forrest, Run template in the book. With that template, he alternates the 3-day lifting template with running days. The running isn't exactly as you want to do but it should show you that it is possible to mix the GSLP 3-day template with running.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #955
James Khetan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Allen Rogers View Post
I would suggest following the 3-day template. The running that you described isn't going to interfere much with the lifts and you have some room to put on some strength so you'll benefit from the extra day of lifting. You sound like you are going to be pretty smart about ramping up the running over time so you should be able to easily judge if you push too hard and it starts affecting the lifts. The squats are probably going to be the first place where you notice any problems.

Take a look at the Run Forrest, Run template in the book. With that template, he alternates the 3-day lifting template with running days. The running isn't exactly as you want to do but it should show you that it is possible to mix the GSLP 3-day template with running.
Thanks for the help. This is what I was leaning towards after having read about Craig's success earlier in this thread.

I was looking at the run Forrest run thing earlier today...but I'd be tempted to run on the same day as I lift to avoid running sore and compromising technique. This also gives a full day of recovery.

I will report back with results!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #956
James Khetan

Profile:

Also, what do you guys think about subbing decline for bench? I have no powerlifting aspirations and regular bench can bother my shoulder. If I get super strong on the decline will my pecs be "bottom heavy" or is this more of a myth?

Cheers
Old 07-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #957
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

If you have no choice, sure. Better to have a good horizontal press in there than not.

Have you looked at the mechanics of your bench? Some people find if they grip closer their shoulders are more tolerant (shoulder width or just inside that).

Other choices would be dumbell bench or dumbell bench using a neutral grip (palms facing each other). Incline variations could be a choice to.

I'd say dips, but if the bench bothers your shoulder, I imagine dips would do the same thing.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #958
James Khetan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
If you have no choice, sure. Better to have a good horizontal press in there than not.

Have you looked at the mechanics of your bench? Some people find if they grip closer their shoulders are more tolerant (shoulder width or just inside that).

Other choices would be dumbell bench or dumbell bench using a neutral grip (palms facing each other). Incline variations could be a choice to.

I'd say dips, but if the bench bothers your shoulder, I imagine dips would do the same thing.
Yeah - the only bench I do now is close grip. I just cant put up as much weight this way, and it feels less stable than delcine.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #959
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Yeah, but decline is a trick. Due to leverage it lets you use more weight but for overall chest strength just isn't as effective as the flat versions. It's almost like a knee height rack pull vs a deadlift.

I'd rather see my close grip go up than my decline. I get more carry over to my regular bench and upper body pressing with the close grip (for me close grip is thumbs just on the edge of the knurling [not the center knurling]).

For the close grips, are you getting your traps and shoulders driven into the pad to create a stable lifting platform?

Are you able to tuck your elbows through most of the movement?

If you nail your form and give it time, I think your weights should go up and eventually you'll be handling weights most can't with a wider grip for the close grip.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #960
James Khetan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Yeah, but decline is a trick. Due to leverage it lets you use more weight but for overall chest strength just isn't as effective as the flat versions. It's almost like a knee height rack pull vs a deadlift.

I'd rather see my close grip go up than my decline. I get more carry over to my regular bench and upper body pressing with the close grip (for me close grip is thumbs just on the edge of the knurling [not the center knurling]).

For the close grips, are you getting your traps and shoulders driven into the pad to create a stable lifting platform?

Are you able to tuck your elbows through most of the movement?

If you nail your form and give it time, I think your weights should go up and eventually you'll be handling weights most can't with a wider grip for the close grip.
That's interesting - I've always heard / read that the decline is actually better for chest strength / development, and not just due to the fact you can use more weight.

I do NOT retract my scapula during the bench. I was doing this for a while (as per latest broscience) but ran into shoulder problems BECAUSE of this. I told my physiotherapist and he immediately had me revert to a more natural pressing style and my issues are significantly better. I do tuck my elbows as close as possible to my body.

I will stick with close grip for now. Thanks for your help.