CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
High Hang Clean 225

Here's a side view of high hang clean work. Any cue's, tips etc. is appreciated, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP9y...e_gdata_player

WFS
Old 03-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: High Hang Clean 225

Besides the little jump forward that Brad already mentioned, it looks good. Could probably work a little on upper back stability, looked like you hunched a little bit at the bottom. But that's just standard work that almost everybody probably needs to do. Looked pretty easy though!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Deb Weber

Profile:

I thought it looked good. Not to hijack the thread but i have the same back problem sometimes rounds in the bottom. What do you recommend to strengthen?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I don't have any recommendations per se... it's something I have issues with too at times, which is why I noticed it.

Anybody else chime in with recommendations?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Thanks guys...I noticed the little bit of back rounding too. I don't know if it's because I was fatigued (this was at the end of a 5x3 set of high cleans). Something to be aware of especially at heavier weights.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
Thanks guys...I noticed the little bit of back rounding too. I don't know if it's because I was fatigued (this was at the end of a 5x3 set of high cleans). Something to be aware of especially at heavier weights.
Try bending the knees as the very first move. It may lessen the back rounding.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Yes, the knees and hips should finish extending at the same time at the finish of the pull. If the knees finish extending before the back finishes extending you'll lose acceleration and you'll end up jumping forward.

From the high hang drop the hips straight down instead of bending forward at the waist. The motion should look more similar to the dip and drive of the jerk and less like the start of a stiff-legged deadlift.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Patrick Costello

Profile:

Not a bad lift, but it looks to me like you're trying to throw yourself into/through the bar rather than drive it upward. Let the contact with the body happen naturally from the extension of your knees/legs rather than trying to swing your body into it.

The first thing you do when you initiate this lift is push your weight forward onto your toes. Heels, heels, heels.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Yes, the knees and hips should finish extending at the same time at the finish of the pull. If the knees finish extending before the back finishes extending you'll lose acceleration and you'll end up jumping forward.

From the high hang drop the hips straight down instead of bending forward at the waist. The motion should look more similar to the dip and drive of the jerk and less like the start of a stiff-legged deadlift.
Thanks for pointing that out. I can see my knees breaking as my hips are hitting extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Costello View Post
Not a bad lift, but it looks to me like you're trying to throw yourself into/through the bar rather than drive it upward. Let the contact with the body happen naturally from the extension of your knees/legs rather than trying to swing your body into it.

The first thing you do when you initiate this lift is push your weight forward onto your toes. Heels, heels, heels.
I'm really trying to cue on keeping my shoulders behind the bar, which may be why it looks like I'm throwing myself into the bar. Getting back and staying back is what I've been trying to work on. Compared to where I was back in November it's much better...but still working on it. Thanks again for your help everyone.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Jason Denny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I can see my knees breaking as my hips are hitting extension.

I'm really trying to cue on keeping my shoulders behind the bar, which may be why it looks like I'm throwing myself into the bar. Getting back and staying back is what I've been trying to work on. Compared to where I was back in November it's much better...but still working on it. Thanks again for your help everyone.
I have found that if I "pinch" my shoulder blades together (flaring my chest out) it forces my lower back into proper arch. Maybe that is just me though. In the hang, I could see your shoulders/chest were relaxed...not in the "ten-hut" position that allows the bar to stay close to your body when you pull.

As others have pointed out, the bottom of the high hang should just be a slight 2"-4" dip at the knees and NOT the hip. Chest should stay up.

BTW, I like your taste in lifting shoes. Best money I have spent on my workouts in a long time.

Last edited by Jason Denny : 03-26-2013 at 12:04 PM.