CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Daniel Cartwright

Profile:
Is it worth it?

So...I live in Alaska, we have an affiliate but I have neither the money nor the transportation (I'm 17, still living at home). BUT I could probably do many of the scaled workouts at the YMCA which I have a membership to. Do you guys think it would be worth it to start doing the scaled workouts on my own, or just wait till I have access to an affiliate gym?

P.S. I'm in OK but not grate shape. I have been doing SS but have failed to see linear progression, probably because I don't eat enough (which is because I don't have the effort to eat that much, plus I don't want to get huge, as it could slow me down in calisthenics).

All comments are appreciated!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Is it worth it?

Sounds like you're kinda lazy and full of excuses, in which case I don't think the YMCA or an affiliate will help.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Oh, cmon Brian. Be nice.

Daniel -

If you don't do this, what will you do instead? Continue with a program that currently isn't meeting your needs?

Eating well is a requirement no matter what you're going to do. Get past that hurdle immediately.

- Mark
Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Brian Castillo

Profile:

Welcome first. Good luck with all your CrossFit adventures!

I too do WOD's at the Y, with very little problem. No dumping, funny shaped pull up bars, giggles and stares from those who don't get what we do, and lots of listening to...different coaching.

I haven't done SS so I can't offer you any info on that other then I've never heard of a healthy 17 yo male who couldn't muster the effort to eat. At 36 I still don't have the ability to phathom that.

I would suggest going to the affiliate for a few sessions to get dialed in on technique and to talk about subs and scaling. Also see if they have someone on staff to help with you diet "effort".

Again, best of luck
Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Yes. Yes you should.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Start now. Start where ever you can. Do whatever WODs you can. Get to the affiliate when possible.

Watch all the videos. Learn the lifts. Eat.

Eat some more.

have fun!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
Daniel Cartwright

Profile:

It's not that I don't eat, I just don't like gorging myself at every meal, and drinking half a gallon of milk every day, as many strength programs recommend.

As I mentioned, I want to keep my body weight relatively low because come March 31 I'm going to the Alaska Military Youth Academy and I would like my weight lifting to supplement my push-ups and body weight exercises rather than slow them down. That it why cross fit appealed to me, because it uses a mix of calisthenics, weights, and cardio.

I can assure you that I am not lazy, I workout at the gym 3 times a week, and do martial arts twice a week.

I have however started bringing almonds with me to school to snack on, and taking muscle milk every day, so I'll see if this helps.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Since you haven't told us what you weigh now, speculating on what you should or shouldn't eat is kind of pointless.

If you don't eat enough to support muscle building, you won't build muscle. That's true of any program, including both Starting Strength and Crossfit.

My opinion is that most males continue to grow and fill out until they're past 20. You're better off exploiting that process to maximize your gains rather than trying to fight it.

Katherine
Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Cartwright View Post
It's not that I don't eat, I just don't like gorging myself at every meal, and drinking half a gallon of milk every day, as many strength programs recommend.

As I mentioned, I want to keep my body weight relatively low because come March 31 I'm going to the Alaska Military Youth Academy and I would like my weight lifting to supplement my push-ups and body weight exercises rather than slow them down. That it why cross fit appealed to me, because it uses a mix of calisthenics, weights, and cardio.

I can assure you that I am not lazy, I workout at the gym 3 times a week, and do martial arts twice a week.

I have however started bringing almonds with me to school to snack on, and taking muscle milk every day, so I'll see if this helps.
You have to eat more than you normally do to gain mass. Seems obvious but some people don't get it. Almonds are good, but just eating more almonds a day won't make you that much stronger.

And do what you can of the WODs. Try Angie, all you need is a pullup bar
Old 01-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Sorry, that was not very constructive.

I would definetely start on your own. THere is plenty of info. and videos, etc. on this site to assist you. I started cf on my own, tried an affiliate, and learned that i prefer doing it at home. MP CF is meant to be done on your own, IMO. This huge number of affiliates is a recent develop in CF, in the beginning there were no affiliates.