CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
John Blake

Profile:
Re: Need help, heavy lifts destroying my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Maddox View Post
Move...quickly...evidently you are living in a death trap that is just waiting for the right opportunity to fall down and kill you and your family while you are sleeping. There is absolutely no reason that the types of vibration resulting from dropping a couple hundred pounds of rubber bumpers should cause structural damage...and you live in CA? What would happen in an earthquake?
I kind of agree with this.

If you workout with bumpers on a platform on a concrete base, vibrations should not crack your second story walls...

Anyway I hope you find a good solution, home gyms are the best!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
And another: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=41071

You should be able to lift it up and lean it against the wall for the car situation.
Ummmmmm.... Just one rubber mat alone weighs about 100 pounds. This doesn't seem like a "lift up and lean it against the wall" deal. The link you posted has this juicy quote:

"Before putting in the carpet and finishing with the mats and top lifting platform, I decided to move it into the final position. By this point, the platform was very heavy. Moving it was nontrivial. I was too impatient to call anyone over to help. Fortunately, I happened to spot some 1/2" diameter round metal rods in the garage which had been part of some cheap ikea shelf. I used these to easily roll the platform in position, after using a crowbar and 10 and 25 lb plates to jack the platform up. I also took the time to put a front lip or handle on the platform, which I think will make it easier to get under it to lift and move when we inevitably move from this place. I half believe in retrospect, that will turn out to be a pointless addition. I dread the thought of moving this thing to a new house in the years to come."
Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

So... how much can you clean, anyway? If you're making your house shake, you must be a total beast....

I'm with Jeremy. If dropping a few hundred pounds on the ground floor makes the second floor walls crack, you've got a serious structural issue. I'd get someone with some expertise in to help you decide (a) whether the house as a whole is structurally up to code and (b) how to reinforce the garage floor.

Unfortunately, all this is likely to be much more expensive than bumper plates would be. Might also be time to figure out what remedies you might have against the builder/previous owner, and what your insurance company will cover.

Katherine
Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
Sean Glidden

Profile:

Thanks for the replies guys. I think ill try something similar your suggestion James but that i can still move out of the way and see if that works. Now that I think about it its surprising that I would have cracks in the walls just form lifting, but moving isn't an option. This house however has been through plenty of earthquakes so I'm not worried about dying in my sleep. Honestly I'd tear this house apart so that I could lift but my mom doesn't seem to see eye to eye with me.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
James Orr

Profile:

Just trying to find a solution more practical than moving.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Are you sure the cracks weren't there before? If it's an older house that's been through an earthquake or two, there's probably been quite a bit of settling that had nothing to do with you.

Katherine
Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #17
Sean Glidden

Profile:

I'm not a beast by any standards, but the day this happened I was maxing so it was 180# being dropped, the cracks definitely weren't there before. Honestly I think the situation given the location of the lifting, types of mats and plates etc, was just a perfect storm to hit that part of the house and put excess pressure on the walls, hopefully I can remedy it with some extra padding and mats.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #18
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:

Maybe try not to drop the weights? I feel your pain and I understand you bought the bumpers so that you can, but there are a lot of us in garage gyms using steel plates and even with mats cannot just "drop" the bar for obvious reasons.
As for your house, a house in CA that cant take the wrath of Crossfit probably will not be able to take the wrath of god. Better build some bigger Plyo boxes to hide in.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #19
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I cannot quite imagine how dropping bumpers on a concrete ground floor in a garage will crack the 2nd story walls of a house, however poorly it's constructed, or how monstrous the lifts. Bouncing the barbell off the garage walls, maybe. But only maybe.

Think about it: the physics of it are that the force vector from dropping the weight goes straight down. Into the concrete, into the earth. The concrete floor might crack, if there's no re-bar, or there are voids underneath. But the 2nd story walls?

My gym is set up in the attic of my 160 year old house. Granted, I've not tempted the Gods by dropping O-lifts, but I do put down #400+ deadlifts a bit, erhmm, abruptly ... on the lifting platform I built up there. That makes the the light fixtures in the room beneath sway. But no lifting-generated cracks in the antique plaster, or ill-fitting doorframes.

OTOH, houses settle over time - many develop cracks from that. And they shift if the water table falls, or if there's frost heaving. They can have cracks in plaster from wind-wracking in a big storm, if the framing wasn't designed (or done well enough) to brace for the loads. The forces involved are enormous - far in excess of ballistically dropping a #180 barbell from on high.

I simply cannot fathom how dropping bumpers on a concrete garage floor has anything to do with the damage you've seen in a room above. Which is good news for your lifting ... bad news as a homeowner.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #20
Joe Agliozzo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Jesse Thompson View Post
hahaha! Gotta consider weather conditions though.
OP, being in San Diego I bet can lift outside about 330+ days or more a year. I am just up the coast and do all my lifting and other crossfit stuff outdoors - it's the only way to go, especially if you are otherwise in an office all day!