CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 AM   #41
Ryan Grady

Profile:
Re: PLEASE HELP me prove this CF hater wrong..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Andrews View Post
Is it just me or is this all just common sense, clearly if you only crossfit your not going to be an amazing baseball player because of it. Or great at any other skill emphasized sport, track included, I think a legitimate arguement can be made though, that a baseball player, who practices baseball as well as crossfitting intelligently, may very well be better than the other baseball player that is not crossfitting. I think what the OP may have been trying to get at is that maybe the track team would be better off practicing the track specific skills, as well as implementing crossfit intelligently, may yield better athletes.
100% yes... thank you dan.

i have to say i have learned tons just from these few posts... i wish i had been on this forum A LOT sooner before i started running around telling people about crossfit when the truth was i knew NOTHING...

... but that will change
Old 05-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #42
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Andrews View Post
Is it just me or is this all just common sense, clearly if you only crossfit your not going to be an amazing baseball player because of it. Or great at any other skill emphasized sport, track included, I think a legitimate arguement can be made though, that a baseball player, who practices baseball as well as crossfitting intelligently, may very well be better than the other baseball player that is not crossfitting.
There's also a point where talent trumps hard work. You could practice baseball and crossfit all day, you're probably still not going to be better than Alex Rodriguez or Albert Pujols.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #43
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
...And if *I'm* going to judge "hard to kill", I'm going to want to see marital effectiveness, rather than a WOD time. Just my opinion..
Statistically, most murder victims (outside the drug trade) were killed by their significant others, in a domestic dispute.

Marital effectiveness sounds to me exactly like being harder to kill.

(great typo BTW )
Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #44
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
There's also a point where talent trumps hard work. You could practice baseball and crossfit all day, you're probably still not going to be better than Alex Rodriguez or Albert Pujols.
Most "talented" people also work their butts off, and have been doing so for years.

Katherine
Old 05-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #45
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fetter View Post
Statistically, most murder victims (outside the drug trade) were killed by their significant others, in a domestic dispute.

Marital effectiveness sounds to me exactly like being harder to kill.

(great typo BTW )

haha great catch!

Justin
Old 05-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #46
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Most "talented" people also work their butts off, and have been doing so for years.

Katherine
I still think they have a certain degree of natural ability that helps them excel as well though.
I mean you could be the most unathletic person in the world but work your butt off everyday at basketball, doesn't mean you're going to beat a guy like Dwight Howard or Dwayne Wade at the game though because they have a high level of natural athleticism that compliments their hard work nicely.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #47
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Most arguement are never really won...one person just decides it not worth arguing over. Anyway my take is Crossfit is more of a general training, almost mindset. It will get your GPP up, but really specific goals require specific training. Crossfit can and will adapt the way you want it.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #48
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Mahoney View Post
CrossFit makes me happy.
I read this whole thread, and this (to me at least) seemed to be the most relevant post.

Thanks Diane!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #49
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Cardinale View Post
I read this whole thread, and this (to me at least) seemed to be the most relevant post.

Thanks Diane!

Agreed,
why bother arguing save you time and energy
Old 05-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #50
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I still think they have a certain degree of natural ability that helps them excel as well though.
I mean you could be the most unathletic person in the world but work your butt off everyday at basketball, doesn't mean you're going to beat a guy like Dwight Howard or Dwayne Wade at the game though because they have a high level of natural athleticism that compliments their hard work nicely.
People always say stuff like this... But the fact is that most of the people we think of as talented (in any field) have been working their butts off for *years,* dating back to before anyone was paying attention to their "talent." It's really tough to find "untalented" people who still put in the same amount of work, so it's really tough to say how much talent actually contributes.

Katherine