CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Zachariah Franklin

Profile:
Re: my first day/meal on Zone

I'm 5'10" 176lbs and I've been on 21-25 blocks per day for the past 6 weeks. I was 181 when I started.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
James Compora

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James lee View Post
your 6'4 and on a "large male" plan? I would consider you an XL.. and there lies the problem for me. THe table in the Journal is not the most clear and defining plan...and that's why i chose to used the calculator on Zonediet.com. According to its automated calculations, i should be on 20. Is that wrong or right? I am choosing to assume that it is since it knows better than me choosing what the definition of "medium male, large male, etc" and picking the block requirements. To me, that makes more sense because i would personally think that i am an "athletic-well muscled male"

I think the bottom line is that i will have to play with it a bit and dial it in but to me... if you 6'4" and using 19, i would double check that on zonediet.com (WFS).

do you feel the difference since you've been Zone? How long have you been on it?
youtube a robb wolf nutrition cert, theres a short like 2 min clip somewhere where he explains how to get your blocks figured out. Someone on here might know but i dont know it off the top of my head
Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
Michael Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James lee View Post
I am:
5 ' 10"
180lbs
33 waist
6.5 wrist
very active (crossfit/krav maga)

according to Zonediet.com, i am at 20 blocks. I'm doing 5 5 5 with 3,2 snacks.

First question is, does my calculation look correct? Second is, what happens if i can't finish the food?
James-

I would consider you a medium male based on your sizes. If you can't finish your food, it's not the end of the world, unless you are trying to get bigger.

I'm 6'0 178lbs and eat 17 blocks/day and usually stay at a consistent body weight.
You'll probably have to play with the blocks for a couple weeks to get a good feel of how much you should be eating.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:17 AM   #14
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

Calculations of block prescription without knowing LBM (using an accurate body fat % measurement) are in the realm of guess work. Either get a good BF% estimation (water dunk, DEXA or caliper by a pro) or do a blackbox experiment. remember that the main idea of your block count is to provide enough protein to sustain and grow LBM. Fuel is provided by fat and can be adjusted without changing P/C blocks.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #15
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Compora View Post
youtube a robb wolf nutrition cert, theres a short like 2 min clip somewhere where he explains how to get your blocks figured out. Someone on here might know but i dont know it off the top of my head
The calculation is simple:
BW*(1-BF%)*activity factor/7 = block#
Example:
BW = 200 pounds
BF% = 15%
Activity factor = use 0.7 if you have a desk job and do 3-5 crossfit workouts per week.
200*0.85=170*0.7=119/7=17 blocks.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #16
Brian Bedell

Profile:

At the cert1 it is said that .7 is the activity level, very rarely should you go higher. That's my understanding. Start there and then adjust up/down. I don't like the "average male, big male, etc." chart. Use the calculator instead, imo.