CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
Gary Ohm

Profile:
Has anyone tried this stuff (Mate')

A couple of my new coworker friends drink this stuff by the gallon: (WFS) http://www.guayaki.com/

I have looked through the web site and it looks really interesting. My coworkers are engineers and math majors who passed the drug screen and psych test so I don't think this stuff has any harmful side affects..... The company started as a senior project at the local university and has really taken off locally.

Anyway, I plan to try some but I wanted to hear if anyone else has any experience with it.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Zachary Sokoloski

Profile:
Re: Has anyone tried this stuff (Mate')

i like it!
lots of people use it to wean themselves off of coffee, because it gives a buzz, but no jitters. i sweeten mine just a bit with honey or agave nectar.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
Gary Ohm

Profile:

AWESOME!!! Thanks for the reply. Do you prep it with boiling water like black tea or less warm like green/white or what? have you heard of any downsides of this stuff? I read that it may lead to head and neck cancer, but that was in some South American area where old guys have been drinking gallons a day piping hot their whole lives. I don't think I will be doing that. Maybe just a gallon a day and very warm...
Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Frank M Needham

Profile:

Tried it, couldn't stand the stuff. Nothing can replace my coffee and I'll defend it with my life. Just ask Brad who posted a picture sitting with his brew and guarding it with a rifle how he feels about this! If it is jitters that bother you with coffee then you need to look into cold brew java. You'll never experience the jitters again.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Yeah, I drink yerba mate from an Argentinean gourd and think it's pretty awesome stuff. I don't sweeten it - just fill the gourd about 1/3 to 1/2 full of mate leaves, arrange the bombillo (straw) in there, then add cool water (if I remember) to soak the leaves for a few minutes before filling with near-boiling water. Sip, refill, repeat.
I get the weirdest looks ("What are you drinking?!") but it's not illegal or intoxicating (sigh), and it's a lot of fun to drink. The first sip is so strong that it's traditional to just spit it down the drain, from what I hear, and it's a bit of an acquired taste because it's strong and not sweet. Also, whenever anyone investigates your gourd, the first thing they do is grab and move the bombillo, which is a big no-no with mate because it clogs the little pores of the strainer part.
But all in all, I like it. It's got a nice caffeine kick without all of the jittery side effects of coffee, in our experience. Just watch out and quit drinking before bedtime.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Ryan Blair

Profile:

I drink it all the time, I think it really helps with hunger and fat loss. For me it's more of a kick than coffee. I also do the loose leaf, I get it pretty cheap from www.amigofoods.com w/f/s. I make it very strong and I have to add some lemon juice to combat the bitterness. I've also tried it in bags and it's not the same.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Lisa Walker

Profile:

Love my Yerba Mate'! I get mine at Trader Joe's.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Raymond Popham

Profile:

My wife and I have been drinking it for about a year now and we love it. We make it in our coffee machine just like we would if we were making regular coffee. We use Stevia to sweeten it up a bit. I buy it at a store that I pass going home from work that caters to spanish folks.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Adolfo Riveron

Profile:

I drink it all the time, even though lately ive been off of it so that i can eat enough to put on muscle. It kills my appetite.

Dont buy guyaki, its weak and waaaay overpriced. Check out the yerbamatecafe.biz (wfs) and get yourself some of the real south american brands for a lot better prices. The taste of them are stronger but i like them. Theres actually a huge yerba mate thread on the bodybuilding.com (wfs) forums.

Whenever i get off of Gants program and get back into the mainpage WOD im gonna start drinking it regulary to help lose a bit of the excess mass gained.

I love the buzz and i feel i can recover better drinking mate. It also energizes my workouts when i feel if i just cant quite bring the heat that day.

Just make sure you drink enough water too, mate is a diuretic and you will sweat more than regular on it.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Lisa Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolfo Riveron View Post
I drink it all the time, even though lately ive been off of it so that i can eat enough to put on muscle. It kills my appetite.

Dont buy guyaki, its weak and waaaay overpriced. Check out the yerbamatecafe.biz (wfs) and get yourself some of the real south american brands for a lot better prices. The taste of them are stronger but i like them. Theres actually a huge yerba mate thread on the bodybuilding.com (wfs) forums.

Whenever i get off of Gants program and get back into the mainpage WOD im gonna start drinking it regulary to help lose a bit of the excess mass gained.

I love the buzz and i feel i can recover better drinking mate. It also energizes my workouts when i feel if i just cant quite bring the heat that day.

Just make sure you drink enough water too, mate is a diuretic and you will sweat more than regular on it.
Hey, Adolfo, thanks for this info. I actually buy the Guayaki from Trader Joe's. It is a bit weak. I'll check out that site and see what I can find. Do you recommend a particular brand?