CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
The fat/prot/ratios - every meal? Or every day?

First off, sorry, I could not think of a good thread title.
EDIT: And I messed it up! I meant the fat/prot/carb ratios...

I am curious. Say I'm aiming for ~55% fat, ~30% protein and ~15% carbs. Does every MEAL have to be like that?

Robb Wolf, for example, advises to eat at least half of your total daily carbs in your PWO meal. So I guess what matters is the total for the day, right?

I mean... say I don't eat protein in the first meal. Just fat and carbs. And then I eat protein in the second and third (and final) meal of the day. I may be getting my daily requirements but that first meal, the PWO one, had none.

Is this okay? I mean, is it just the total at the end of the day that counts?

Last edited by Arturo Garcia : 12-01-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Messed up the title!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
David Croushore

Profile:
Re: The fat/prot/ratios - every meal? Or every day?

Obviously, you don't want to break things up too weirdly.

For example, don't eat 100% of your fat at one time, then 100% of your protein, then 100% of your carbs.

But from what I've seen/read, it doesn't matter if you eat a perfect balance at each meal, as long as you balance it out overall.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Croushore View Post

But from what I've seen/read, it doesn't matter if you eat a perfect balance at each meal, as long as you balance it out overall.
ahemmm...... you want to run the numbers on every zone meal recipe and see what comes up??
Old 12-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
First off, sorry, I could not think of a good thread title.
EDIT: And I messed it up! I meant the fat/prot/carb ratios...

I am curious. Say I'm aiming for ~55% fat, ~30% protein and ~15% carbs. Does every MEAL have to be like that?

Robb Wolf, for example, advises to eat at least half of your total daily carbs in your PWO meal. So I guess what matters is the total for the day, right?

I mean... say I don't eat protein in the first meal. Just fat and carbs. And then I eat protein in the second and third (and final) meal of the day. I may be getting my daily requirements but that first meal, the PWO one, had none.

Is this okay? I mean, is it just the total at the end of the day that counts?
What is that trying to do.. hormone manipulation or just get your numbers in ?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

You know what, I wasn't gonna say anything about me but I will. I wanna get lean. I'm frustrated because I've been wanting to for a while, but haven't been able to. It seems my genetics are the worst ever... I put on weight so easily, and lose fat only when I'm super-strict with the diet. It sucks.

In late 2004 at age 21 I topped almost 260# at 5'10", all fat. In early 2006 I decided to lose weight and got down to 173 on the day my son was born, December 8th (that is why I remember it so well). Been weight training and trying different things ever since. I've noticed I do well on IF (body composition-wise), but it's tough to be so hungry in the mornings. It's mental, though, I think if you get your mind on something else, you don't feel hungry. I'm gonna do IF, with those ratios I mentioned, most of the carbs in the first (and PWO) meal, around 2,100 cals a day from what I've calculated, hope it's enough, I'm not THAT physically active... I must weigh like 180 right now, but a lot of fat in the midsection and buttocks area. Lean Body Mass must be much less, seriously, I actually measured my arms this week and they were 14.5", so yeah, I'm not your typical 180# crosfitter.. I think if I got down to where my abs showed and stuff, with the same musclemass I now have, I'd be like 155-160. I just hate the "lovehandles" and I wanna get rid of them.

I just wrote all this to motivate myself, the question is in the first post.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

You don't want to eat meals that have 100% of one macronutrient and nothing else. But make sure you do eat some of each macronutrient with each meal, especially when concerned with weight loss because you want to keep your insulin levels in check. Above all, eat quality paleo foods in the proportions you described and you will reach your goal. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
You know what, I wasn't gonna say anything about me but I will. I wanna get lean. I'm frustrated because I've been wanting to for a while, but haven't been able to. It seems my genetics are the worst ever... I put on weight so easily, and lose fat only when I'm super-strict with the diet. It sucks.

In late 2004 at age 21 I topped almost 260# at 5'10", all fat. In early 2006 I decided to lose weight and got down to 173 on the day my son was born, December 8th (that is why I remember it so well). Been weight training and trying different things ever since. I've noticed I do well on IF (body composition-wise), but it's tough to be so hungry in the mornings. It's mental, though, I think if you get your mind on something else, you don't feel hungry. I'm gonna do IF, with those ratios I mentioned, most of the carbs in the first (and PWO) meal, around 2,100 cals a day from what I've calculated, hope it's enough, I'm not THAT physically active... I must weigh like 180 right now, but a lot of fat in the midsection and buttocks area. Lean Body Mass must be much less, seriously, I actually measured my arms this week and they were 14.5", so yeah, I'm not your typical 180# crosfitter.. I think if I got down to where my abs showed and stuff, with the same musclemass I now have, I'd be like 155-160. I just hate the "lovehandles" and I wanna get rid of them.

I just wrote all this to motivate myself, the question is in the first post.
If you are hungry in the morning, you need to rethink your carb choices.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

George, I love your posts and appreciate your input, but I do not understand what you meant by that.

Broccoli
Carrot
Sweet Potato only on days I workout as part of PWO meal.
Cabbage
Lettuce
Whatever carbs are in Avocado
Whatever carbs are in a handful of nuts (almonds, or walnuts, or pecans...)
And I eat little fruit, and only in days I workout, minutes before PWO meal.

Is this really a bad choice of carb sources?

I think I feel hungry in the mornings because I'm not used to it. I'm gonna force myself to do proper IF and see if in two weeks time the hunger is no longer a problem. Yesterday was perfect and today I'm right on track. I wanna do this because, the times I have managed to stick to this plan for about 6 days (never can make it any longer!!), I seriously see results even in such a short time. (well, by "results" I mean my mid section starts to lean out slowly, the top of the abs, right below the chest, starts getting just a little definition, I'm not crazy, I'm serious). So I can only wonder what kind of results I'd see if I can do it for two months. I reckon if I can make it for a month, I'd be able to do it forever.

Last: what food combinations raise the bloody insulin level, so constantly mentioned here? I know some carbs, mostly sugar, raises it, right? But if eaten along with FAT, will it raise it? ... What about a mostly protein meal, with very little fat and carbs, will it raise it? Sorry for not knowing this!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Sounds to me like your carb choices are good, Arturo. Fat lowers the glycemic response (blood sugar rise) of carbs, thus insulin will be released more slowly, but the amount will be proportional to the need to store fat (i.e., total carbs). Protein, and especially dairy, also have a significant insulin response. In the case of dairy, it is disproportionately high compared to the glycemic response.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I can easily cut out all diary and just did that starting yesterday. I've gone through long periods of no diary with no problems.

I will report in a few days to let ya'll know how I'm doing.

Yesterday I stopped eating at 7pm. Today I went to eat my first meal a few minutes before 1pm ... oddly enough, I felt full very quick. I could not even finish what I thought I would eat. That's weird. EDIT: Maybe my brain was telling me I was full because I wasn't really liking today's food... bloody spinach is horrible. How do you guys eat spinach!? Yuck

Last edited by Arturo Garcia : 12-02-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.