CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-08-2002, 06:45 AM   #1
Stephen Whittier

Profile:  
Hi Coach,

I'm one of your newsletter subscribers (and the newsletter is superb, by the way). I want to set up a pair of rings in my shed outside. I will be mounting a horizontal bar between two beams in an "A" shaped roof, so it will be much like the straps you have running over your high pullup bar. I called AAI and asked about their Lexan rings and straps, and
asked what I would need to rig the rings with straps over a horizontal bar. The rep. I spoke with didn't know and couldn't speculate apart from their standard ceiling mount. Could you please tell me exactly which pieces I
should be asking for when I order? Thanks,

Steve Whittier
Old 10-08-2002, 11:53 AM   #2
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Steve,
My advice is to try a set like I describe in the equipment post. Make sure you will actually use them before you drop the cash on them. They only take about a half hour to make, and for muscle ups/pull ups/dips/knees to elbows they do not have to be perfectly round. I used nylon straps $0.15 per foot from a surplus store, and duct tape.
On second thought, maybe if coach buys some in bulk....he could pass on the savings. Just kidding coach, one of the reasons I like this site/program so much is that you are not selling anything!
Old 10-08-2002, 04:34 PM   #3
Coach

Profile:

Thanks, Steve, your support is truly heartening.

I think Frank ought to make and sell rings. We'd give our endorsement and promote them them for you, Frank. That way we could get this Marine a CII Rower!!

If the specter of woodworking and epoxying is daunting here's the link to Norbert's where we got our removeable/portable rings-straps:http://www.norberts.net/catalog/2816.pdf

Sorry AAI couldn't help. Interestingly, we found Norbert's on AAI's referral.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:45 AM   #4
Stephen Whittier

Profile:  
Unfortunately, the woodworking and epoxying is a bit daunting, though I appreciate the idea. I went to the Norberts link, but I'm still unclear:

I'll need rings, replacement straps, and connectors. How about the spring swivels? Also, I think AAI's lexan rings are $65 as opposed to Norbert's $110 wood rings, so I think I'd tend more toward the lexans.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:45 AM   #5
Coach

Profile:

O.K., I'm a little out of touch with ordering rings - it's been a while.

I think you're right; I'd get the lexan rings (stronger and more durable than the wood or fiberglass) and purchase webbing and adjustable buckles from an outdoor/climbing store or the straps from Norbert's.

This puts the entire project in the "just under $100" range.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:58 AM   #6
gopal ramachandran

Profile:  
Steve,

How did the rings work out? If it's too much trouble, I'll do what I can with parallettes for now.

gopal
Old 12-30-2002, 04:06 PM   #7
Coach

Profile:

Gopal,

Did you get your rings?