CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #1
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Crossfit Brand Protection

I was heavily involved in Crossfit up until the end of my military career. Been super busy with a business, so dropped out of the scene the past 4 years or so, (and my waist line shows it), just come back on the scene and I'm noticing a lot of media on Crossfit HQs "aggressive" protection of the brand.

The media I've watched / read honestly makes Crossfit HQ look like *******s, and I can't clearly find it anywhere where it's been explained to the average layman the requirements of "Band Protection" and what simple MUST be done to avoid "Brand Dilution" and the brand reaching the dreaded status of "genericized".

I can't speak for US law precisely, but as a general rule in most common law jurisdictions, a Trademark holder must protect against ALL Trademark infringements, and must do so aggressively. They cannot pick and choose, even if they wanted to. And so comes the case of some companies perusing Trademark protection, often thru strongly worded Cease and Desist letters, even if they don't want to, or it makes them look bad.

I think this should be communicated more clearly.

Sean