CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

In preparation for beginning CrossFit this Sunday, I purchased the journal that contain's Coach Rut's ME Black Box Program. In it, he mentions that "monostructural metabolic efforts" should should proceed ME workouts... like sprinting or at least running hard?

Also, he writes about "introductory reps" before near-max & max attempts. Does he mean just warm-up weights?

One more thing. Dan John's OLAD+Crossfit regime has a person lifting max weights 3x a week while Rut's Black Box program only 2x. If I combine both programs to incorporate Coach Rut's methodology with Dan John's schedule of lifting max weights 3x a week, will I be creating some bastard child chimera doomed to live its life in hideous disfigurement? Or could the hybrid work? More importantly, does this question even make sense?

Looking forward to to getting "Crossfit".

Kurt

(Message edited by buddhabellybum on February 03, 2006)
Old 02-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
What would an OLAD-ME hybrid look like? I'm not sure they're that far apart.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Kurt -
I've been tinkering with the ME Black Box for awhile now. Here's what I posted about my program about a month ago:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/17503.html

I have since modified it a bit. Irritated my SI joint in my back, so I've been doing OHS instead of heavy front and back squat. Replaced the max overhead work and deads withs max weighted dips, weighted pullups, and shoulder press. I have also added OHS to Saturdays with the sprints.

I think you can absolutely synthesize the two. The goal is to lift heavy and often. Tinker with the results and go from there.

One of my main reasons for using the ME Black Box was that my body seems to deal with recovering from ME days better than the average WOD. Your mileage will vary, so alter the program to acccomodate your needs.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

"W1 Tuesday OHS/FS/BS 5x1/5x1/5x1"

Chris, does that mean you choose of the exercise and follow that protocol or that you do all 3 exercises starting with the one with the lightest weight first?

Kurt
Old 02-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
Dan John

Profile:

I don't think I preach a traditional "week" any more on this mix. The OLAD stuff (and the abbreviation comes from guys at T-nation, I never even imagined it would become this popular)works well with JUST the O lifts, but the issue comes up after a while of ...and this is where the silliness always comes out...whatever we decided to call "being in shape" today. In 1991, I remember being able to open with 297 snatch in an O lifting meet, but felt like the long walk from the chair to the platform would need a rest period. So...the morph into what was discussed here. Actually, something as simple as adding sled work to the OLAD seemed to really help about three years ago...sprinting is not what we want with guys who don't really have the inclination towards correct sprinting technique (the last thing an O lifter wants is a pulled hamstring from a set of sprints...and it happens) so sleds or hills might be the answer. I found at the bigger bodyweights things like running and cycling were just not as wonderful as the commercials made them seem...swimming was good, but really hills and sleds seem to fit the best.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

Well gee Dan John, if you write good programs, shouldn't it be expected to become popular? So what if they're simple?

You know what, I ask some dumb questions sometimes.

Kurt
Old 02-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Kurt-

All 3, in order, trying to increase the weight on each rep. One of my favorite WODs.