CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
I've been away from CF for some time now and have finally made my way back to the program and community. Thinking back, the only drawback I experienced with CF was training 3 on 1 off at max intensity (an error on my end). Over a period of months my body began to break down and performance started to suffer. I'm curious as to how all of you scale the WODs to your personal needs? If you feel wasted from a workout the day before, do you simply go through the WOD at a low intensity? Reduce weight? I'm excited to be back but do not want to make the same mistake twice. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Hmmm...first question I would ask is; how is your diet and how much sleep do you get? Though I wouldn't doubt that different people have different recovery abilities, diet and actual rest are bigger aspects of complete recovery than many people make them out to be.

That said, if I am feeling completely wasted I usually do the warm-up, maybe add some ring work and see how I feel. I often get energized enough to go ahead and do the WOD. If I don't, then I rest, get plenty of sleep, drink a lot of water and make sure I'm eating right, and I always feel better the next day.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-22-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
In my opinion, sleep and diet were both dead on. I've been following a paleo regimen for a long time and I try to get 7-9 hours of sleep in a pitch black room every night. I suppose it's possible that I was not taking in enough calories... Thanks for the input.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Monday - heavy metabolic WOD
Tuesday - ME lift
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - heavy metabolic WOD
Friday - ME lift
Saturday - sprint training
Sunday - rest

That's my schedule. Occasionally I will play some basketball later in the day. Any extra work and I start to "break down."
Old 12-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Chris,

Interesting mix you have going on there. Looks good. Do you structure your ME lifts Westside style? Alternate between bench/squat/dl?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 PM   #6
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I do these 4 ME lifts (so I hit each one every two weeks).

Squat Clean 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1
Deadlift 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1
OH Sq. 5x1, Fr. Sq. 5x1, B. Sq. 5x1
Sh. Pr. 5x1, Push Pr. 5x1, Push Jerk 5x1

So Tuesdays flip-flop between the squat clean and the squat day. Fridays flip-flop between deadlift and the overhead lifts.

I also try to hit a good amount of squat work in the metabolic WODs that don't immediately precede a squat ME day. My squat is awful (Back squat 210 @ 170 BW), and I'm trying to improve it.

I might need to address the upper body a little more in my program, but the ME overhead lift day and my tendancy to do WODs that have overhead lifts in them tend to keep that in order.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 AM   #7
Steven Schneblin

Profile:
Jesse Woody,

Interesting move on the wall in the pic by your logon. what is being done and how do you do it?
Thanks

Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
paul arestan

Profile:

Yes, sleep, life style and diet are major factors in the recovery process.
Stress level and emotional wellbeing (work, relationship, family, exam...) also need to be looked at as they take attention and energy away from your training and can affect your performance and your ability to recover.
Jesse is right; we don't all recover at the same rate. Some people may over train when some don't, even if their training and lifestyle are similar.
It is also wise to take a week off every 6 to 8 weeks.
Good luck.