CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Hey all,
I just read Larry L's thread :http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/3805.html
about taking a rest week every 12 weeks. I'm curious, how many of you take his advice? He also recommends taking a half volume or half weight week for the WOD's every fourth week, how many of you do that?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:48 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
There are lots of good reasons to do this and I haven't heard a good reason not to (not saying there isn't on, just haven't heard one). This is not a prevention of overtraining thing (like Matt, I think overtraining is overrated), it is a way to increase performance. I've wrote about this about 8 times in the last year or so, so I'm curious to see if anyone tries this...besides me!
Old 05-06-2005, 05:21 AM   #3
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
First of all it's quite rare that I'll be able to keep the 3 on 1 off cycle with good consistency. I may do 2 consecutive WODs and then rest or 1 and then rest or 3 and rest for 2 days etc. I always strive to keep it 3 on 1 off, but that gets broken up after the 2nd or 3rd cycle usually.

So that, in itself is plenty of recovery time. On top of that, I may take as much as a week off when I feel like for two days in a row, I haven't been feeling top-notch.

Does it work? Not always. Sometimes I come back blazing, and sometimes I just return weaker. I simply would like to get more work in and program a rest week on a more macro level like Larry is doing. If I could keep the WOD cycle with good consistency AND put a rest week somewhere in there, I'm very confident I'd be hitting PRs the first two days I was back at it!
Old 05-06-2005, 05:41 AM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I don't do the half-volume week...but I've been doing a 12-week-on/1-week-off rotation for a long (years) time. It works well for me. I feel like I can really blaze away during the 12 weeks, then have that week of break (which I think is more of a mental recovery than anything else). The 3/1 split during the week seems to work well for me.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:59 AM   #5
James R. Climer

Profile:
Since starting CF last July, my personal life hasn't been smooth enough to get in an unbroken 12-week period to try Larry's back off and rest- week protocol. I have had to take the random week off due to family and/or work demands, and I usually come back with a little jump in performance time or skill improvement shortly after returning, with the exception of the stomach flu-induced stoppage in February, where I was too dizzy at times to stand up, and it took about 2 weeks before I felt 100% over the flu.

Mentally, I am going to find the half-volume week hard to implement, but I do believe it will be of benefit for this 18 year-old mind stuck in an aging, 45-year old body. There's discipline required to maintain regular exercise habit, but it can require just as much discipline to back off once the habit is established.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
I just finished a week off and I feel refreshed and more eager to do the WOD at 5:45 AM. I don't have a formula for when to take off but it seems to workout to about 4 times a year which is close to being 12 weeks. I usually know when I need to take off.