CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Kenny Dunsmore

Profile:
Hey everyone, I am 22 years old/M and started crossfit about two weeks ago. I have been an athlete my whole life (mostly football) and I am a full time personal trainer. I have always considered myself in "good" shape, but all of my previous programs had the sole focus on developing strength. Workouts such as push press 7x3 or front squats 7x1 are ones I am accustomed to, but I really struggle to keep up with the more challenging conditioning days such as fight gone bad. Any suggestions on how to bring up my metcon and tolerance to this more endurance based training??
Old 03-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
David Sailor

Profile:
Kenny,

Welcome.
First off all, if FGB was one of your first metcons, then you had an interesting indoctination. That is one of the hardest ones out there. The metcon will come, it's just a matter of doing them consistetly, just like you did the strengthing program earlier. The metcons are all measurable so you can track your improvement. I had a strength based background and the metcons absolutely killed me at first. They still kill me but I can measure the improvements such as comparing Cindy rounds, Helen times, etc. Good luck and just put the energy into the metcons like you do the strength workouts. David
Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Kenny Dunsmore

Profile:
Thanks a lot David. I have done "cindy", "michael", and "FGB", i was o.k. with the first two, but man, fight gone bad humbled me in a way i could have never imagined. I was thinking of maybe adding some scaled down metcons following days like todays 7x1 front squat. Do you think this is overkill or a good way to whip myself into shape??
Old 03-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:
I'm reluctant to answer only because I just read the boards and basically regurgitate what others say. I'm in no way a trainer nor should my advice be considered advice! That being said, this is what I've been doing: adding some mini metcons on days off if I don't feel too bad or after a workout like today's front squats. Check out Gaucoin and OPT's post from todays and other days blog where we post the days results. They are adding in these mini workouts to focus on weaknesses and it makes sense. It doesn't have to be metcons, I've liberally borrowed from their knowledge and done overhead squats at 95lbs for as many reps as possible, do a press/push/jerk sequence at 95lbs for as many reps as possible. They have some great ideas.
I think you have to listen to how you are feeling and be careful not to over do this stuff. The whole metcon idea was new to me when I started and it definately took some getting used to. David
Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
You can always build up to the metcons doing non-CF workouts too. Bike or running intervals, or even better yet rowing (all of which I suppose could be CF workouts) are a great way to build up real cardiovascular output.

By intervals I mean short bursts (maybe a minute of high speed, then a minute or 30 seconds of half speed, then repeat 10+ times. And by speed, I mean if you bike at 28 mph for high speed, the "rest" is biking at 14 mph)
Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:

Kenny - Check out these gems. I trend toward the metcon side in my training and have devised some more, ahhhh, lengthy versions of the CrossFit experience.

Last edited by Eugene R. Allen : 10-02-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
Kenny Dunsmore

Profile:
haha, Eugene the names you have for those workouts are hillarious. These are truly some beauties. I can't wait to put them to work, or should i say i can't wait for them to put me to work. Thanks for all your help, it is truly appreciated