CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-04-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Do all of you do the crossfit warm-up (squats, back ext, etc.) before the actual WOD?

if i do that warm-up i'll be dead before i start lol, but if it's needed, i will most certainly incorporate it.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Neal Thompson

Profile:
Frank,

Definitely incorporate some form of the warmup prior to your workout to ensure that all muscles are a go for the WOD. At my facility every workout begins with the CF warmup. Now for those whose conditioning is not yet able to sustain a full 15 reps of each exercise I allow them to cut down the reps or modify the exercise. Look at the warmup as a way to get in additional practice of the basic fundamental movements that we use with CF and before you know it the warmup will be a piece of cake.

Neal
Old 01-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Eric Moffit

Profile:
ditto on everything Neal said...reduce reps (or even rounds) on specific exercises if needed, the warmup is your foundation, etc.

furthermore, i like to look at the CrossFit warmup in a progressive way...eg, as my body has developed, certain exercises have become easier. so i replace exercises w/ the next most difficult one in the same progression.

as of now my warmup looks like this:

Round 1
Hip stretch (Dan John's Superman/Buddha combo)
Shoulder stretch (overhead rotation w/ broomstick...dislocation/inlocation??)
15 OHS (broomstick)
15 abmat situps
15 glute-ham back extensions
15 dips
15 pullups
15 OH lunges (broomstick)
Samson stretch (15s each side)

Round 2
15 OHS (broomstick)
15 glute-ham situps
15 dips
15 pullups
15 BS (bar)
Samson stretch

Round 3
15 OHS (bar)
15 glute-ham situps
15 dips
15 pullups
15 OH lunge (bar)
Samson stretch

so, if the warmup 'as Rxd' seems like a lot of work to you, you could take the same line of thinking i have...adjust according to ability. eventually that wont seem bad when you storm through and you can adjust accordingly.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Rob McBee

Profile:
I highly recommend the warmup. It seems like more than 'most' peoples actual workout because it is. Just scale it down at first like 5 reps each or two rounds instead of three. It really is a fantastic warmup and great way to increase your ability to do high volume WODs.

As a minimum I'll at least do the overhead squat, situps, and back extensions.

Good luck bro...
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Profile:
I usually do 2 rounds of the warmup + one round of the burgener warmup. On days where pullups are the main focus I will just sub/skip pullups in the warmup.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Hi Eric.

Do you have a link for Dan John's Superman/Buddha combo.

I started off doing sets of 8 on the pulups and 12 on everthing else. I've worked up to sets of 10 on pullups and 15 on the rest.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
Michael Ledney

Profile:
I'll be the contratian here. The only warm up I do anymore is a nice long sumo stretch, a couple (5-10) pullups and a similar number of wall ball shots. It's just enough to focus my mind and wake up every muscle group in my body.

I used to do the whole CF WU 3x through before the WOD, but it did take it out of me. Now I do a 3x through circuit that looks a lot like the WU, but I do it ~ an hour after the WOD. I pasted it below, I do each group 3x through at a leisurely pace.

Since I've shifted the WU to a post workout skills session my performance output has increased geometrically. It may not be for everyone, but it really worked for me.

Skills:

1. Deep Squat (60 sec)
2. Forward Bend (60 sec)

3. Handstand (60 sec)
4. L-Sit (60 sec)

5. HSPU (Max)
6. Pull-ups (20)
7. Sit-ups (25)
8. Back Ex (25)
8. Ring Pushups (15)
9. Snatch (95#) (10)
10. Ring Dips (10)
11. Ring Pull-ups (10)

Old 01-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Ger lavin,
well, i got it wrong...its actually "Captain America/Buddha Belly". i read it in Eugene Allen's writeup on the Golden, CO Certification Seminar, which is located here ( http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/16166.html ). the description is on the first page...and now that ive reread it, i realize i do it slightly different. i go down into a tight squat, position my elbows in front of my knees, and then alternately puff my chest up and out and push my stomach out (i.e., rotate my hips down). great stretch...you should really feel it in your hips.

(Message edited by ediddy on January 05, 2006)
Old 01-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Michael, I'm even further out than you, though it might be said that I'm doing the wrong thing. I don't believe in a set warm up.

I look at the WoD and do 10 or 20 reps of what we have to do with no weight or a broomstick.

So if we are doing cleans, I'll practice with the bar and gradually increase my weight until I'm up to full weight.

If we are doing kettlebell swings, I'll either do 10 or 20 bodyweight swings and so on.

With the runs, I work up the pace at which I'm going to be running, step off the treadmill and psyche myself up for the WoD.

I've never been injured yet.

[Actually, I tell a lie, I got my first CF injury yesterday, a swollen index finger from practicing handstands in the garden. LOL]
Old 01-06-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Good point on injuries Matthew. I did suffer a pretty severe, but totally freak neck sprain in mid October. It was, however, completely unrelated to my "inadequate" of a warm-up. I won't bore you with all the details, but it occured at the very end of the day during a round of backpack weighted tabata squats.

But yeah, I've suffered no injuries since I went to this protocol in ~June. I've also noticed a significant decrease in DOMS that I attribute to the tabata finish.

Regardless, it's good to hear that someone else takes their Kool-Aid with a "what works for me" chaser.