CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Chad Hamzeh

Profile:  
Ha, hope the title made sense.

Basically, I don't have a great place to hang my rings. So what we've done in the past is just attached them to the pullup bar of a squat cage.

So, I'd say they hang 4 feet off the ground now. Obviously, I can adjust them higher but will need a bit of headroom. I am only 5'6", though.

ANNYWAYY, onto the question! What are some tips for practicing muscle-ups from a seated or kneeling position? Has anyone ever done something like this? I imagine it's harder as I won't really be able to kip. False grip will be essential.

I can do about 20 ring dips and 15-20 ring pull-ups with kips. I think I'm ready to hit a muscle-up, but having a tough time with this setup.

Any help greatly appreciated.

C
Old 01-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

I'm in the same situation. Yes it's harder. Yes the false grip is essential. I don't really know how to tell you how to train for a muscleup as I've been able to do them since I first heard of them. You seem to have more than enough lat, tricep, and pec strength to pull a few off already based on your dip and chin numbers. One thing that helped me bring my muscleup numbers from singles to sets of 5 was false grip kettlebell curls. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing this before, but it made a huge difference. I can now do sets of 2 with both arms with the 1.5 pood, and it really seems to strengthen the wrist, grip, forearm, elbows, and biceps in the same way they're needed to perform a muscleup, and in a way that regular pullups and dips don't seem to simulate sufficiently. My kettlebell's grip is just about as thick as my power rings too. Now that I think about it, false grip kettlebell curls may be the cure to Eugene's muscleup woes as well.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I say do L-muscle ups starting from the seated on the floor. If you can't do them unassisted, then get a jumpstretch band and tie it on the same pullup bar and sit on it. Also get a chair or bench and try to put it under your heels. That should give you plenty of support as you go from under to over. As you get better, get rid of the bench and/or the band.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
My advice would be to practice a lot of the rowing muscle-ups from a sitting position (see the other muscle-up thread, some messages down the list from this one). I do all my MUs from a kneeling position - my basement has a 225cm ceiling, so I never had another option. Kneeling is definitely easier than sitting, I would say. From squat is another possibility. For singles, it should not really matter that much. Once you are up and go into the transition, it is the same problem for all starting positions (unless you are able to jump through right from the start). The main problem is to be able to come down without touching the floor - this may take some control - then nothing stops you from consecutives.

Good luck with your setup,

Christian

... currently at 6 consecutive MUs ...
Old 01-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Chad Hamzeh

Profile:  
Thanks very much guys, I'll give 'em a good go!