CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Bring Sally Up

Anyone have any experience doing this yet?

wfs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc2mZ...ature=youtu.be

Can be done with more than just squats. There are YouTube examples with pushups, burpees, pullups, etc....

I think I might take a run at it (squats) in the next week or two. Probably not at 135 though. If it roasts these guys at 135, I probably need to bump down a bit.

- Mark
Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:
Re: Bring Sally Up

My jiu jitsu class did the push-up variety during warm-ups last week. We "held" the down position instead of just laying on the floor. It was awful.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Marc Traina

Profile:

We tried the back squat version in class this week. Brutal. I did 115 cause like you said if 135 is smoking Khalipa and them then I have no business trying it. Its not necessarily the squats but the pressure on the lower back that gets you. I had to dump the bar twice...back just couldnt take it. I picked it right back up and continued on but just needed a brief break before my back snapped.
Great challenge though, I definitely will give it another go
Old 09-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Looks like fun! I've seen the push-up version, which is basically a 3 1/2 plank.

I'd love to see someone hang from a pull-up bar and do 30 pull-ups to this song. That would be an incredible feat!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Did it wednesday. Went with 95lbs cause i dont train for muscular endurance at all. Only reason i did it is cause the cute single girl wanted to do it after oly lifting.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I'm probably going to have our group at the box do it twice tomorrow. Once with shoulder to overhead, and another time with pushups.

The S2O will be designated as ahap (as heavy as possible) in order to try to make the down position still a bit uncomfortable. On the "old Miss Lucy's dead & gone" bit, I think I will have them all go into the down position of a squat. Hence, the next "bring Sally up" after that essentially turns into a thruster.

And I have seen the pushup one. RX for that will be chest to just above floor but not to it.

I may test the S2O tonight. I'm not sure if that idea works as well as I'm imagining.

I would have us all do the squat version, but we will have already done a pretty horrible squat WOD ahead of that AND some brief but hard rowing.

- Mark
Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Sounds like a cool variation. Probably a good idea to test it because 3 1/2 minutes (endurance) and AHAP sound like they may not go together very well. Something's got to give. In the down position you might encourage a good front rack with high elbows to make that part of it more of a mobility exercise.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Sounds like a cool variation. Probably a good idea to test it because 3 1/2 minutes (endurance) and AHAP sound like they may not go together very well. Something's got to give. In the down position you might encourage a good front rack with high elbows to make that part of it more of a mobility exercise.
Christopher -

I tested it very briefly with just a single 40# KB last night. It'll work, but I think I do want to require the use of both hands at once. So, a barbell, dual db/kb, keg, Atlas stone, sand bag, etc.... Using just one hand at a time (and thus allowing switching to the other hand along the way) was a little too easy. Then again, my test was only a little more than a minute.

AHAP in this case really means "as heavy as possible considering that you're going to be doing it for 3 1/2 minutes."

- Mark
Old 09-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Michael MacDowell

Profile:

Did the BS version in all classes yesterday. Few survived our 95/65 scaling. I did the 95 and while coming out of the hole hurt like hell eventually it was the lower back that really killed. Felt fine after and today.

LOVE the S2O version with the bottom position into Thruster! Great idea. Let me know if you try that and how it goes with a class.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Christopher Morris

Profile:

This morning I did air squats and it was a great warm up for the hip flexors. Just a little burn by the end.

I tried S20 with an empty 45# barbell with thrusters like you prescribed, and trying to keep high elbows in the down position. My shoulders were ON FIRE and I got about 2 minutes in before putting the bar down for a little break.

Just for kicks, I tried static hang / pull-ups. I didn't even make it to the first "dead and gone" break. Something to work on...

After three exercises to Bring Sally Up, the song is now stuck in my head. Fun exercise!