CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:
Where is the cut off line?

When I first started CrossFit, there was a general feel that extra equipment like wrist straps and squat suits weren't part of the game. Weightlifting shoes and belts (on max or near max attempts) were deemed acceptable. That was about it.

Now, I watch the games and visit CrossFit gyms, and I see wrist wraps (that often have connectors to the fingers, making them akin to writes straps), some sort of fitness tape meant to enhance performance, various "performance" socks, shorts and shirts that many claim "increase your lifts10 to 15 percent", and various other bits of extra gear.

It seems like, if this continues, we will have bench shirts, squat suits, and wrist straps - where exactly is the cut off point for what equipment is fine? I'm sure the Games have some rules on that, but some quick searching didn't turn anything up.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Rick H Larson

Profile:
Re: Where is the cut off line?

The cut of line is where ever an individual wants it to be for personal training or what competition organizers deem for an event. I agree that it's interesting to see how much people gear up but for many people it's the final number/weight/time that matters, not so much how they got there. As long as competitors are on a fair playing field and have access to the same accessories I don't see much of an issue.

Personally I'm probably in the same boat as you in the dislike of performance enhancing equipment. I do use one wrist wrap on my right wrist due to significant pain during overhead movements with a barbell. If I didn't wear some sort of support in those circumstances I likely wouldn’t make it very far in any WODs with snatches, C&Js, or OHS. I don't wear any other gear because I don't want my body to rely on a piece of gear to be successful or put up a certain weight if I can help it. I even own a pair of Romaleos but they just didn't feel right after about 20 or so uses so I just have them on display at my apartment simply because they look awesome!

I do think there is a certain level of pride to doing workouts 'raw' but to each his own.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I wear wrist straps because my wrists hurt... did a wod with 180lbs for 5x3 (push press) 5x5 (Push Jerk) and it still hurts a week later..

I put on Knee wraps @ 375+ on my Squats. Why? 12+ years of competitive track and not taking the option for knee surgery. I've lifted 400+ for years without wraps... at age 37 I'm a little more cautious...

Belt goes on 400+ on DL

When its time for chest to bars I put on my HH bra and stuff the dickens out of it to make ROM so much better.

We got to do what we got to do!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Jason A Smith

Profile:

This is what i do personally.

I wear lifting shoes for when I am doing Oly lifting and squatting. I have worn them during a WOD but it is pretty rare. I think I put them on for Fran but otherwise I just wear my shoes (which are NB MX20s)

I wear a belt for max effort attempts but again just when lifting (squats, deads, presses, jerks and the odd set of Oly work). Wore the belt for my Diane but otherwise I only wear it for lifting.

I will tape my hands up for lots of pull ups or bar work and use too much chalk. I have wrist wraps but don;t use them a ton. I did for a bit when I was having some wrist issues.

Used lifting straps from time to time but only when they are needed like sets of RDLs of snatch grip deads

I sometimes wear compression shorts too, but only wear "tights" if it's cold outside in my garage to stay warm. Otherwise I am a shorts and t shirt kind of guy.

Not sure I have ever seen anyone in a CF gym with anything other than the above gear and usually just for lifting. The tape you see on people is mainly used for folks who think it helps give them a little extra to hold their joints together and should only be used sparingly and not for everyday training. I don't think the Games is the best judge of that, most people bodies would be pretty beat up for the duration and I wasn't surprised to see kiniseo tape, belts, lifting shoes and wrist wraps at the games. I would have that stuff on too if I was put through that kind of volume over a three day period to help hold myself together.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Rick H Larson

Profile:

What I find more interesting than gearing up is people that are just starting in CrossFit who buy everything that says 'CrossFit' on it. Back when I worked out at an affiliate there were a few people who joined and stormed the CrossFit online store (this was back in 2010 before the Reebok contract happened). There were two or three in particular that would come in each night wearing 'CrossFit' head to toe. CrossFit shoes weren't out then so they wore Inov-8s (in different colors to match the outfit) just because it was the standard. From there they had the socks, shorts, shirt, wrist bands (not wraps, just the fashion accessory), and hat. It was like they were trying to make a fashion statement to prove they were 'totally CrossFit'. I always got a good laugh out of it. They kept all that crap on even while doing the WODs. They also happened to be the people that looked like they bathed in the chalk bucket by the end. Now that I think about it, that's the cut off line, hahaha!

Last edited by Rick H Larson : 05-02-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Jason A Smith

Profile:

See that all the time. Truth be told, I have a couple t shirts from local events, a Reebok shirt I got as a gift and one from the affiliate I train at.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

The Games are a bit of a different beast, and I can see wrist wraps (and even knee wraps) for something unique as the games or recovery from an injury.

But I'm seeing lots of otherwise uninjured people wearing them every time I go to a CrossFit gym. Many of them are fairly high performers, but I wonder what would happen to them if they were ever forced to go "raw."
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Leather grips are fine, IMO so long as they are dowel-less. Hot bars will destroy hands.

Training Snatches with straps is alright, but competing no.

Knee and wrists wraps are ok, IMO. I don't want to see belts in CF competitions but it's fine to train with.

And I sure as heck, don't want to see bench shirts or squat suits. Screw that. Rubbish.

The performance wicking materials, sure. Who cares. Compression pants or shirts for bloodflow. No biggie.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
Rick H Larson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
See that all the time. Truth be told, I have a couple t shirts from local events, a Reebok shirt I got as a gift and one from the affiliate I train at.
I don't think there's anything wrong with having a CrossFit or Reebok shirt while working out, it's the people who turn it into a fashion show that I find funny. I have CrossFit shorts and shoes and a whole bunch of rogue clothing but when I'm heading to workout I just grab a t-shirt from the closet without really caring how CrossFitty I appear. I'm mainly calling out the people that try to show they CrossFit by turning themselves into a billboard rather than actually going hard in the wod.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Snir Golan

Profile:

i use knee sleeves because i find that it does help me when i squat. i use wrist wraps because both of my wrists are a bit weak from many many wrist injuries (riding motocross and a few stupid accidents). i wear Oly shoes because i find that they make a big difference in my lifts. i think that to not use these things because its not as hardcore as doing it without is a bit silly. if its there and help you, use it. i am not out there to prove anything to anybody, i am doing this to better myself and since i am not that young stud i used to be i need all the help i can get.

as far as shirts, shorts etc.. i do have quite a bit of gear but mostly i wear shirts of from my box or companies like Rogue because 1) i love the material 2) i like how it looks 3) i want to support companies that i respect.