CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
James Sowers

Profile:
Crossfit Total

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way meant to be a "****ing contest" of any sort. I'm just trying to give others the opportunity to share what they've accomplished. Ideally, it will be a way for me to get a feel for where I'm at in my recovery (torn hamstring) as well as set realistic goals for the future. Finally, I did search the boards for multiple variations of the topic "crossfit total," but came up with 20+ pages that mostly consisted of WOD logs.

Moving on, I did the Crossfit Total as my workout today to try to set a foundation to build my physical recovery and improvement upon. My goal was to crack 700 with an expected deadlift of 300, squat of 280, and a press of about 135.

Actual Deadlift: 285

Actual Squat: 310

Actual Press: 140

Total: 735

I work out at the globo gym by myself, so I didn't push the squats to failure, but I'm not sure that I could've done much more anyways.

CFT: 735

Bodyweight: 163

4.5x BW

Essentially, I was kinda hoping to use this as a forum for anyone who recently did the CFT to share their results. I hope to do one roughly every month to gauge my progress.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Total

Good work. How tall are you, how did you injure yourself, and what kind of programming are you doing to get back on track?

Also, what are your goals?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
James Sowers

Profile:

I'm 22 years old, 5'9", and I hurt myself playing rugby.

As far as goals go, here is a little summary I copied from my log:

Okay, so to make a long story short I suffered a partially torn hamstring about four months ago and as a result I lost about 10 pounds and apparently a whole lot of strength. Similarly, I started really getting into Crossfit right before the injury, so I've been dying to get back on the horse.

When I went in for my first workout, I was shocked to see how much strength I had lost. I figure that rather than jump right into Crossfit and damage my pride by having to scale the workouts, I would begin with Starting Strength. I believe this program will allow me to gain back the strength I lost relatively quickly without asking too much of my recovering tendon.

These are the last totals I have record of and thus will be my new goals:

Bench: 290
Squat: 340
Deadlift: 315
Power Clean: 200

As far as training goes, I started out thinking I would do Starting Strength for a while, but ended up pushing things too hard too fast. I took a couple of weeks off and felt better, so I'm doing the main page WOD as long as it suits the globo gym late night 8-10pm when it's relatively empty. This is usually the first thing I do, supplemented by some strength work similar to starting strength (squats, deadlifts, presses, cleans.) Unfortunately, I am in the process of buying a house, so I won't be able to join one of the local boxes for a few months.

To try to avoid being long-winded, I'll just go ahead and mention that I am in the Army National Guard, so I will eventually get back to running and would like to max out the PT test at my next camp in March. Furthermore, I won't be seeking to follow any form of strict paleo, mostly because of the expense and because I know the gf would never go for it. Again, much like joining a box, this is something that could come about with time and financial stability.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
Joshua Armstrong

Profile:

I did mine just a few weeks ago. It was my first time doing. I wanted to get my 1RM so I could start 5/3/1. FYI, I am 35yoa, 185lbs and have been crossfitting full time for about 7 months.
BS 275
DL 335
Press 155
CFT=765
Old 12-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:

I'm 5'11, 205. Haven't done a CFT since waaaay before SS. My old total back on 09/27/09 was:

Total: 760
Bodyweight: 184

Squat: 215
Press: 160
Deadlift: 385

Right now my 5 rep max's with starting strength are the following:
Squat: 320x5
Press: 163x5
Deadlift 395x5

Progress on press is getting pretty difficult, I'm moving up very slowly on press and bench press. Squat and deadlift are still going up nicely however. I look forward to attempting another total when I'm done! Hoping to break 1000.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
Olen Gifford

Profile:

M/27/5'7"/163lbs

CFT

BS=345
Press=165
DL=385

Total=895

There is some good info on CFT in the FAQ section on the main page. It is titled: 4.9. OK, so I've done the CFT. How do I rank? Are there any standards?. I would check it out. It states that currently, both you and I are between intermediate and advanced lifters for our weight.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:17 AM   #7
Nathan Bedle

Profile:

About two months ago, I did a combined CFT and CFFB total:
Power Clean- 235
Squat- 335
Bench- 265
Deadlift- 425
Press- 155

CFFBT: 835
CFT: 915

A couple days ago, I did the CFT again:
Squat- 365
Press- 165
Deadlift- 445

CFT: 975

So a 60 pound increase in two months. What's weird is my 5RM has gone up significantly; but my 1RM hasn't really. For example, my DL 5RM is 410, only 40 lbs less than my 1RM. Same with my squat weight, and while my 1RM of press only went up 10 lbs, my 5RM went up 25.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
Olen Gifford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bedle View Post
About two months ago, I did a combined CFT and CFFB total:
Power Clean- 235
Squat- 335
Bench- 265
Deadlift- 425
Press- 155

CFFBT: 835
CFT: 915

A couple days ago, I did the CFT again:
Squat- 365
Press- 165
Deadlift- 445

CFT: 975

So a 60 pound increase in two months. What's weird is my 5RM has gone up significantly; but my 1RM hasn't really. For example, my DL 5RM is 410, only 40 lbs less than my 1RM. Same with my squat weight, and while my 1RM of press only went up 10 lbs, my 5RM went up 25.
That increase in you 5RM and not your 1RM has to do with endurance. A 1RM is a different energy pathway (ATP) than say a 5RM (Glycolytic). It is a fine line, but, a line none the less. If you want to increase your 1RM you will need to train at near max weight at least once if not twice a weak.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
Gillian Steele

Profile:

My current Crossfit Total is

Back Squat: 120kg - 264.55lbs
Strict Press: 50kg - 110.23lbs
Deadlift: 147.5kg - 325.18lbs

Total - 699.96lbs - so close to 700lbs!!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #10
James Sowers

Profile:

Great job, everyone! I'll definitely check out the FAQ that was recommended. I must have skipped right over it, because all I noticed was a portion defining the CFT. Thanks for the responses and if anyone else wants to contribute or use this thread as motivation to "update" your CFT numbers I'm still interested in seeing results.

@ gillian- Unfortunately, that may be because you're stuck using kilos and the partial conversion rate is getting you. You know, if you switched to lbs you might be -forced- to hit 700 because of the weight option available? Haha. Great job, nonetheless.

So, it seems that overall my deadlift is pretty low. This is something I already knew, because I don't have the same leg drive due to the hamstring injury. Not making excuses, I just think that's part of the reason.

So, looks like a lot of deadlifts for the next four weeks. Fun, fun, fun!