CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #71
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: How strict are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Well Katherine because of your Aikido I'm sure you don't follow a 3 on 1 off pattern. Kind of like I don't either thanks to my rugby practices breaking up the days I can CF.

This is something I've been wondering on strictness. How many of the benefits of CF and CFFB do I lose not doing them on consecutive days and also missing some WoDs because of my practice and/or game schedule? Is it like completely harmful? Is CF or CFFB not effective at all when doing this? 50% effective? 80?
Because I've met some that say it's useless if you don't do 3 on and 1 off. (not on this board, but i know a guy that CF's and he claims you have to do it on consecutive days and you shouldn't have to scale either. he claims if you're not in good enough shape to not scale and you can't do it on consecutive days then you shouldn't do it at all because a different more "focused" program would be more effective)
if you're talking to somebody that says you shouldn't have to scale, he's an idiot and doesn't nkow what he's talking about. both coach glassman and josh welbourn(e? i never know if there's an e) say to SCALE to your level of ability. the key is intensity, and you're losing more from the workouts by doing them heavier and slow than you would be from doing them lighter and fast.

my $.02
Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #72
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Miller View Post
Interesting thread. Sort of along the same lines, I'm looking at joining an affiliate but they don't follow the main page WODs and it is really making me hesitate to join.
I would venture to say that MOST affiliates don't follow the .com WODs. This is not a bad thing. A good trainer will take advantage of their equipment, the weather, the condition of their athletes, etc. to maximize the CF experience for their folks.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #73
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
if you're talking to somebody that says you shouldn't have to scale, he's an idiot and doesn't nkow what he's talking about. both coach glassman and josh welbourn(e? i never know if there's an e) say to SCALE to your level of ability. the key is intensity, and you're losing more from the workouts by doing them heavier and slow than you would be from doing them lighter and fast.

my $.02
Well I do scale to keep up the intensity. I've fought back pukie quite a bit since starting CFFB due to the intensity of the workouts.
Still brings me back to the not being able to do it on consecutive days thing though.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #74
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Well I do scale to keep up the intensity. I've fought back pukie quite a bit since starting CFFB due to the intensity of the workouts.
Still brings me back to the not being able to do it on consecutive days thing though.
my point was that if he's wrong about A he's likely wrong about B and you should ignore everything he says to you
Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #75
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
my point was that if he's wrong about A he's likely wrong about B and you should ignore everything he says to you
It still raised a question in my head that leaves me wondering. Just trying to get other thoughts about that.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #76
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Jason, the guy you talked to has no idea what he's talking about. Seriously. No one comes here able to do the workout as Rx'd, and most people just do CF to get better at CF (or incorporate some extra training for their weakness).
Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #77
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Jason, the guy you talked to has no idea what he's talking about. Seriously. No one comes here able to do the workout as Rx'd, and most people just do CF to get better at CF (or incorporate some extra training for their weakness).
Yeah I understand that. But, not working CF or CFFB on a 3 on 1 off pattern is not hurtful? That's what I'm wondering. If it hurts to not do your WoDs on back to back days.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #78
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Dude, you are playing rugby. They have hard practices. DO you think that just becuase it isn't a WOD it doesn't count as a workout? Maybe rugby has changed since I played, but I remember running until I dry heaved, and then more running. I also remember running really fast, hitting things and people and lot sof other things that are demanding physically. practice and games count as a workout
Old 05-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #79
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Well Katherine because of your Aikido I'm sure you don't follow a 3 on 1 off pattern. Kind of like I don't either thanks to my rugby practices breaking up the days I can CF.
As I think I've posted before, my standard schedule is:
Monday -- Aikido (3 hrs)
Tuesday -- Crossfit
Wednesday -- Aikido (3 hrs)
Thursday -- rest or Crossfit
Friday -- rest or Crossfit (the rest day moves from Thursday to Friday depending on how I feel and other schedule constraints)
Saturday -- Aikido (2.5 hrs)
Sunday -- rest

With maybe an extra bodyweight Crossfit workout thrown in, depending on motivation and energy level. Because aikido already works metabolic conditioning pretty hard, I tend to be strength-biased with the Crossfit workouts. And I'm seeing gains. (8# PR on shoulder press today. Go me!)

Quote:
This is something I've been wondering on strictness. How many of the benefits of CF and CFFB do I lose not doing them on consecutive days and also missing some WoDs because of my practice and/or game schedule? Is it like completely harmful? Is CF or CFFB not effective at all when doing this? 50% effective? 80?
Because I've met some that say it's useless if you don't do 3 on and 1 off. (not on this board, but i know a guy that CF's and he claims you have to do it on consecutive days and you shouldn't have to scale either. he claims if you're not in good enough shape to not scale and you can't do it on consecutive days then you shouldn't do it at all because a different more "focused" program would be more effective)
By not doing Crossfit on consecutive days, you miss the "endurance" adaptation of working muscles that are already tired. On the other hand, you might get more "strength" adaptation precisely because there's a little more recovery time in between. And it's not like you're sitting on your couch on the off days, either: rugby is hard training all by itself.

You might get better *at Crossfit* by doing strictly Crossfit workouts, but you're more likely to get better *at rugby* by mixing the two.

The guy who says it's useless if you don't do 3-1 as Rxed needs to read the FAQ for this site. Coach argues that scalability is one of the big advantages of Crossfit, and explicitly states that workouts might need to be balanced with your primary sport.

Katherine
Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #80
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Dude, you are playing rugby. They have hard practices. DO you think that just becuase it isn't a WOD it doesn't count as a workout? Maybe rugby has changed since I played, but I remember running until I dry heaved, and then more running. I also remember running really fast, hitting things and people and lot sof other things that are demanding physically. practice and games count as a workout
What Jamie said. Unless it's a video day or something, training for a contact sport absolutely counts as a workout.

Katherine