CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
How strict are you?

So this is something I've been wondering. How strict are you on following the WoD?

Because I notice when people post times to the WoD threads on the mainpage or on BrandX they'll throw in other WoDs that they did that day instead.

How many of you follow just the WoD mainpage everyday?

I don't personally. I do a mixture of the CF Football WoDs, the CF WoD and my local affiliates WoD. I see which one I have the right equipment for and then figure out which one I think will give me the best workout.
And I do the CF Football strength WoD everyday it's up.

So I wonder, am I cheating myself? I know WoD programming has a purpose behind it, but I mean I'm still doing CF. I do CF 3-4x a week (M,W,F and some Saturdays. I have rugby practice T and TR).

I know other people do different WoDs than following one sites programming strictly. Is this wrong? Just wondering.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: How strict are you?

I follow the mainpage WOD's perfectly. Scaling of course if needed, but I usually just scale weights - not rounds or reps. It sucks following the mainpage because we all have our favorite things to do. So when the friggin 5k and 10k show up, I'm hating it, but doing it. I think it's wierd when people are like, "120 dips and pullups, I'm not doing THAT". I remember Coach Glassman's speech in some video saying, "what you do not want to come out of the hopper, is probably what you should be working on"...and it's true FOR ME. I am also pretty new to XFit, less than a year. Are you cheating yourself, maybe. Maybe not though if you are already very well rounded.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

I find it easier to follow one source's programming. Currently, the affiliate I go to follows the mainpage, so I do that. If the day is a MP rest da, then I either make up a missed WOD or the affiliate prepares a WOD that I follow. Prior to that I followed SS. Prior to that I went to another affiliate and they did their own programming. Unless you know what you are doing with programming, I think you risk cheating yourself by not following a specific program. Very easy to avoid weak spots, but it's also difficult to target specific goals for improvement. Letting your whims decide your programming doesn't seem like a very effecient method to me.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well it's not really my whims. It's more what I have the equipment for first obviously. Then it's what's going to give me the best workout. If it's an area I'm weak in then I'll probably pick it because it'll be the toughest workout.
But for the most part I follow CF Football now 9x out of 10.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Obviously, equipment limitations have to be worked around, but how do you decide what's the "best" or "toughest" workout on any given day?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Obviously, equipment limitations have to be worked around, but how do you decide what's the "best" or "toughest" workout on any given day?
What I think is going to leave me half-dead when I'm done. What looks like it will be the hardest for me to complete.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Rene Forestier

Profile:

I try to be as strict as I can for a couple reasons. Coach knows what he is doing, and I like to compare my results to the posted times...this is only relevant when the SAME workout is done (I don't go to an Affiliate). Having said that, I sometimes have to scale, work around injuries, or deal with equip issues.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Do you really think going for the longest, most soul crushing appearing WOD you can find on a given day is the best way to get to your goals? Do you have any basis for thinking that's a good way to reach your goals?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Bryce Harrison

Profile:

I follow the main page when I can, but life happens. I'm not always on the exact schedule as the MP. I also really enjoy programming my own stuff. I find that it gives me a sense of ownership, and makes me push myself that much harder.

Dave Castro has a couple of great video clips on the Journal website in regards to programming.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Do you really think going for the longest, most soul crushing appearing WOD you can find on a given day is the best way to get to your goals? Do you have any basis for thinking that's a good way to reach your goals?
I enjoy destroying myself at the gym on a daily basis. Makes me feel like I accomplished something.