CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #101
Russ Greene

Profile:

Well this thread has lost its first purpose, though it was never dedicated specifically to that to begin with. I will continue posting workouts for the next few days until I decide where to post my workout log next. It may be on the Power and Bulk board since I will be focusing on max strength, a subject those guys know a whole lot about, or maybe on Bryce Lane's Ironworks board since my overall goals coincide more directly with that board. I should also start saving some printed records of my workouts so that ten years from now I will be able to look back and think about either how far I've come or how far I've fallen.

I am a big fan of the TSC and will definitely participate in it again. Tom said he will have an official one at Crossfit DC after he gets his RKC. Next time, if the TSC is held at the same place, I should remember to work closer grip pullups as that's what I'll need to do in competition due to the gym's pullup bar. I am going to devote the summer to becoming stronger in the posterior chain and on overhead lifts following the lifting schedule I posted a few days ago while still keeping the brutal metabolic conditioning workouts that I enjoy.

5/8
easy row - 7460 meters in 30 minutes, this would have been a PR a year ago
Old 05-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #102
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:
Russ is a liar. What he's REALLY going to devote this summer to is kicking MY ***.

:proud:

Looking forward to having you back, buddy.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:42 AM   #103
Tom Brose

Profile:
Great work Russ. I had a lot of fun Saturday. Next time we need to get a lot of people involved. I really felt this was a good test of CrossFit style "anywhere, anytime, anything" capability, as neither of us actually trained for it, or peaked in any way.

Also, I think you might as well keep posting on here, people seem to follow your workouts.

By the way, Russ has NO fluidity in his kb snatch. I think that working on smoothing it out, breathing, and not going for broke (he did 25+25 in the first minute)he could improve a lot. He should be 120+ with little struggle.

My goals for next time (Sept?)

DL 500
10 kg PU x15
32 kg snatch x94
Old 05-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #104
Russ Greene

Profile:

5/10
Let's get this clear, I don't need to breathe, Tom.

Deadlifts - 295 X 3, 4 X 5 at 275, only problem was grip and making sure my right leg and hip fired
military press - 135 X 3,3,3,2,2

overhead lockouts - 175,195,215,215
supersetted with
25 lb. one leg squats - 5,5,2 (so 5 per leg, 5 per leg, then 2 per leg)

My weakness on the jerk is both form and my ability to hold heavy weights over my head. I will work on both over the summer. I'm going to make sure to do some heavy grip work in every lifting workout because my grip is also really lagging.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #105
Russ Greene

Profile:

Allen Yeh posted these fitness standards from Crossfit North on the Crossfit Myspace board: http://www.crossfitnorth.com/skill_level_training.htm

I've been kind of wondering where to go from here, and these standards give me some direction. I wish the list included a max clean and jerk though. I certainly need to get stronger, in all areas.

If I were to create my own standards, a 1.5 bodyweight clean and jerk, 6:40 2k row, a sub 2:40 Fran, double bodyweight squat, 15 consecutive strict muscle ups, 10 dead hang weighted pullups with half bodyweight, 15 bodyweight overhead squats, a 2 minute L-sit, and an 18 minute 5k run would be a killer combination that I could see myself achieving after maybe 3 or 4 years of very dedicated training and recovery.

Right now I can get a barely above bodyweight clean and jerk, probably around 7:10 on the 2k row, a 4:50 Fran, 1.5 bodyweight squat, 5 strict muscleups, 5 dead hang weighted pullups with 55 lbs., overhead squat 135 for 5, L-sit for 40 seconds, and run a 19:30 5k. The hard part isn't the individual feats, but the fact that I would want to be able to do all of them at the same time, that is without specifically peaking towards any of them. Wow, this is really getting me motivated again. Studying for finals and cleaning up and packing have really been getting to me lately and my training has obviously suffered. However, summer has arrived and it's time to get hard core again.