CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Russ Greene

Profile:

I'm starting a thread here, if it's ok with the mods, to record my training for the TSC on May 6. I have some issues with sticking to a structured program, so hopefully this will help. My kettlebell is a borrowed 24 kilo with an overly thick handle and generally awkward design as it's not from dragondoor. My weaknesses are posterior chain strength and grip strength/endurance, but I love hard metcon workouts so I will include those as well. My university's gym has no barbells for nonathletes so I am limited except for on Sundays to dumbbell and kettlebell work.

Here's the plan:
Saturday – swim w/ triathlon team – usually a pretty hard aerobic workout with some anerobic work at the end
Sunday – heavy lifting at Crossfit DC– lower body mostly – some combination of front squats, deadlifts, cleans, jerks, walking lunges, heavy swings
Monday – heavy upper body + abs + swim/run – weighted strict pull-ups + dips, l-holds, strict military presses, maybe some bentover rows and bench presses, then some interval running or swimming
Tuesday – Rest
Wednesday – kettlebell hi rep lifting + run – lots of snatches, swings, one arm jerks and thrusters combined with 400 and 800m runs,
Thursday – hi rep calisthenic and metcon workouts – cindy, murph and the like
Friday – Rest

My goals by May are to exceed 120/30/400 (24k snatches in 5 minutes/strict bw pullups/deadlift) at Crossfit DC's TSC, to exceed 30 rounds in 20 minutes on Cindy, to break 6:30 in the 500 yard free off the wall, and to get my achilles back into running shape. Maybe I'll compete in a triathlon or two while I'm at it but I'm not going to sacrifice anything for that purpose.

Right now I can do 23 strict pullups, 26 on Cindy, 7:15 in the 500 yard freestyle, a 365 lb. deadlift last time I maxed out a year ago, and no idea on the snatches. I haven't competed in any real sport since last spring, so it feels great to be getting my competitive juices flowing again. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

Saturday February 18
Swam with the triathlon team
3 X 600 yard swim with 2 minute rest in between, did each one around 9:30
kick work
2 X 50 yard sprint
15 minutes treading water with hands overhead

Sunday February 19
did a little workout with Crossfit DC, just some clean and jerks with a 25 lb. med ball and some ab work
Deadlifts - up to an easy 305 X 1, then I missed at 345, form was screwed up and I'm out of practice
Power clean to front squats - 185 X 4,2,2 - this wasn't extremely hard but my form was out of whack because again I haven't done much heavy barbell lifting in a while
Walking lunges - 55 lb. db's X 25 feet X 2 sets

This wasn't enough so I decided to workout later in the day as well.
Dumbbell Squat clean practice - 8 singles w/ two 80 lb. db's - I can do light db squat cleans easily but with light weight my form gets iffy. I want to get my heavy db squat clean down so I can start using the 100 lb. db's on the front squats to get a better leg workout in
Walking lunges - 50 lb. db's X 50 feet, then 40, then 30 - the reason I'm so big on walking lunges is that I had a problem with knee tracking on squats and also with a weaker right leg, and these help both problems as they are unilateral and work the smaller muscles of the hip. Since I started them my squat form with heavy weights has improved a lot.
Dumbbell swing to mid chest - 4 X 8 with 100 lb. db

Meals on 2/19:
Breakfast - nuts, raisins, orange juice, had to eat on the run to get to CFDC in time
Lunch - a lot of turkey, a little salami lettuce, spinach, carrots, broccoli, olive oil, vinegar
Bad snack - slice of my friend's homemade spinach and artichoke pizza, 5 hershey kisses
Dinner - 3 chicken breasts, cooked carrots, same salad as with lunch,

(Message edited by sinai16 on February 19, 2006)
Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Russ Greene

Profile:

2/20
Weighted strict pullups w/ 55 lbs. - 6,3,3,3
Supersetted w/
Weighted military presses w/ 55 lb. dbs. - 6,4,4,4

My shoulders were already tired coming in so I decided this was enough.

Then I went to the pool:
warmup
5 X 50 free, 50 breast, 25 free kick, 25 breast kick on 3:00
1 minute rest
4 X 100 free, 50 breast on 2:30
2 minute rest
500 free easy

My walking away muscles, aka hams,glutes,back,traps were all very sore today and my CNS felt a little fatigued as well so I went at about 75% effort.

Diet on 2/20:
Woke up at 12 and went to lunch: turkey, a cup of beef and vegetable soup, the usual plate of salad + chick peas, an orange and a banana, a bite of sausage and about a third of a potato.

Snack - nuts and raisins, 5 small pieces of chocolate (I'm addicted)

Dinner - two chicken breasts, two chicken patties, cup of beef and vegetable soup, green peppers, lots of broccoli, a banana,

snack - got hungry so had four spoonfuls of peanut butter

Here's snippet of my life right now:
Book - In addition to schoolwork, The Sword and The Stone by T.H. White on recommendation from Dan John. Soon to be either F.A. Hayek or Milton Friedman on recommendation from Coach Glassman.

Training philosophy - I just read this article and there's a lot of truth in it: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=938957&pageNo=0

Alwyn is kind of cocky, but also pretty cool.

Music - the White Album, Abbey Road, the Magical Mystery Tour, and Revolver by the Beatles.

Sleep - Has been at least 8 hours a week at least 6 days a week.

Prayer - Have been going to Mass every Sunday and going to bible study every Thursday.

Bottom line is I'm feeling great and my training's been going very well, so either something is going to go terribly wrong or I'm going to be making some great progress over the next two months.

(Message edited by sinai16 on February 20, 2006)
Old 02-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Russ Greene

Profile:

2/21
Rest day. Had a ridiculous amount of work to do. I fell off the wagon in terms of diet today to the tune of one brownie, 10 buffalo wings, and half a dozen hershey's kisses. I need to learn how to eat healthily even when I'm stressed and sleep deprived.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Russ Greene

Profile:

2/22
Breakfast: 5 sausage links, peanut butter, bowl of oatmeal, half a grapefruit, banana, not the best breakfast but the dining hall has no lean protein for breakfast.
Lunch: chicken, beef, broccoli, onions, green peppers, spinach, an orange
Dinner: steak, spinach, peas, green peppers, two apples

Workout:
6 rounds in 20 minutes
quarter mile run
12 one arm snatches per arm with 24kg

That's a mile and a half run and 144 one arm snatches in 20 minutes. I didn't push it all the way today as I'm recovering from achilles tendonitis and my kettlebell form was a little rusty. 8 rounds, or 2 miles and 192 snatches in 20 minutes before the TSC would be a good goal.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:53 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Profile:
I know eggs at dining halls aren't the leanest but leaner than sausage I would say.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
Russ Greene

Profile:

Good point, but eggs at dining halls make me puke.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Russ Greene

Profile:

2/23
"Catharsis"
8 rounds for time
35 air squats
25 pushups
15 swings with 24kg
in 19:15

Pushup technique still needs work with regards to keeping a rigid torso. Swings and squats went well but still need plenty more work with posterior chain engagement.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:41 PM   #9
greg bass

Profile:

Russ thanks for the idea from 2/22 about alternating between one arm snatches and runs.

I am really trying to work on my running speed right now for basketball so I cut the runs to 200 meters in order to keep my pace fast.

Anyway I did 3 rounds of 20 one arm snatches with a 40lb dumbbell alternating with 200 meter runs. Took about 8 minutes and was a great workout. Good luck on your progress.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #10
Russ Greene

Profile:

Good to know somebody's reading my journal and benefitting from it, Greg.

I forgot to mention that I also did 100 deadhang pullups of various flavors throughout the day on 2/23 as well. 2/24 was rest.

2/25
in the pool with the triathlon team
200 yards freestyle
20 sec rest
300 yards
30 sec
400 yards
30 sec
500 yards
45 sec
400 yards
30 sec
300 yards
30 sec
200 yards

I swam with a guy named Cliff who is a pretty good triathlete. I could keep up OK on the 200's and 300's but he crushed me on the 400 and 500. My upper body and abs are still very sore today so that held me back a bit.

Diet, as usual, has been my weak point lately.

Yesterday I just flat out pigged out. Today was a little more restrained but still pretty crappy.
Lunch(I got up at 2:15 in the afternoon so this was my first meal)
a very very large piece of steak, carrots, asparagus, piece of chocolate
Dinner: an orange and a pastrami and cheese sandwhich.
Saturdays are very short for me because I get up in the afternoon and go to bed before midnight to get up for CFDC the next morning.

If anyone reading this is from the DLI I'm going to be studying Arabic in Monterey from May to August this summer, so if I could somehow workout with you guys that would be pretty sweet. Same proposal goes out to NPS.