CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #101
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Smith View Post
For the record, while I don't have a trainer, I do re-watch Rippetoe's videos on Youtube prior to doing any lift that I consider dangerous (all of these apply) and before I actually perform a lift, I practice form 3 or 4 times with the bar to get my head right.

While I realize that isn't the same as being watched and coached by a trainer real-time and I may actually round my back during a heavy DL, I do try my best to maintain good form as I am not particularly interested in injuring myself at this stage of my life.

And I would interpret "intermediate" to mean something along the lines of "average, but doesn't have to worry about getting sand kicked in one's face at the beach" or "somewhere in the middle of the bell curve."

Which is pretty solid for me, based on where I started. And now I have my own personal baseline to compare against, which is really the most important thing.

However, if anyone would like to submit a subjective opinion on my performance rather than my perceived interpretation of a table, I'd be happy to hear it.

(Specs: 34, 5'10" 200lbs. CFT-785, DL-375, S-275, P-135)
Dude, I don't have a problem with you, or your lifts, or the fact that you don't have a trainer.

I generally believe that people can learn how to lift weights at home like big boys and girls without a trainer anyway.

I am just pointing out that that chart has been posted and misinterpreted time and time again, that it is not at all relevant to the CrossFit Total, and that there is no reason for it to still be in the CrossFit FAQs.

P.S. Also, you are 5'10 and you weigh 200 lbs, and that makes me LIKE YOU. You should like me too.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 05-19-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #102
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:

DL - 375 (PR by 10) - 350-375(f)-375
Squat - 275 (PR by 10, but failed at 285) - 225-275-285(f)
Press - 135 (PR by 25, but failed at 140) - 115-135-140(f)
Total = 785 lbs.

I am 34, 5'10", 200lbs even, ~20% BF, have no real weight training experience
i'm 33 going on 34, 5'9 200 lbs, 17% bf and my totals are dl 345, squat 285, press 155 lbs for an identical 785 total, so we are real similar. i just got off the couch about 4 months ago after a decade of loafing.

to be honest we have a lot of work to do, not horrible, but i'm not patting myself on the back either.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #103
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Dude, I don't have a problem with you, or your lifts, or the fact that you don't have a trainer.

P.S. Also, you are 5'10 and you weigh 200 lbs, and that makes me LIKE YOU. You should like me too.
This means Tamara doesn't like me because i'm 5'10" and nowhere near 200lbs. But my goals aren't to be an "elite CFer" or an olympic weightlifter. So being 200lbs at 5'10" is counter-productive to my sport.

Quote:
If you ripped 375 off the floor with some rounding, it doesn't assume that you then went and hitched up 400 just to brag about it on Facebook (not that anyone I know uses Facebook).
What's this Facebook thing you speak of? I feel like if you were ever to use Facebook, hilarity would ensue.

Quote:
PSA for the evening: When SS talks about doing a heavy set of 5 deadlifts, they are Dead. Lifts. Meaning each rep starts from a dead stop. There is no touch and go.
I never touch and go. My gym only has iron. Very loud to touch and go...it's a globo so the loudness gets me dirty looks.

In any case, I've never done a CFT as per CF instructions of how to do a CFT. Frankly I've never been a believer in ever doing 1RM because I feel like it's a waste of my time. I'll stick to my 3x5's.

So now if you're talking about totaling my PR 3x5 work-set loads in a single workout...I'd total out at 675.
295 squat, 255 DL, 125 press.
157# bodyweight.

My DL's are primarily limited by grip strength at this point, and I refuse to use anything but double-overhand grip. And I've never ever tried to do a 1RM so I have no idea what my CFT would be.

I guess my input to this thread is fairly useless.

Carry on, folks.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #104
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Liu View Post
This means Tamara doesn't like me because i'm 5'10" and nowhere near 200lbs. But my goals aren't to be an "elite CFer" or an olympic weightlifter. So being 200lbs at 5'10" is counter-productive to my sport.

What's this Facebook thing you speak of? I feel like if you were ever to use Facebook, hilarity would ensue.

My DL's are primarily limited by grip strength at this point, and I refuse to use anything but double-overhand grip. And I've never ever tried to do a 1RM so I have no idea what my CFT would be.
I like you. You play volleyball, and Mizuno volleyball shorts are my very favorite booty shorts ever. Plus, you don't even know what Facebook is, and you double overhand like I do.

It is true that I'd like you more if you gained some weight, but nobody's perfect.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #105
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
I suppose this is the right forum to post this in, but I just completed my first CFT tonight and wondering whether I did well or not? I don't really have a baseline, since this is the first time I've done these at the same time. I have been recording my weights on individual WODs, so I had an idea of where to start this workout. Anyhow, the specs:

DL - 375 (PR by 10) - 350-375(f)-375
Squat - 275 (PR by 10, but failed at 285) - 225-275-285(f)
Press - 135 (PR by 25, but failed at 140) - 115-135-140(f)
Total = 785 lbs.

I am 34, 5'10", 200lbs even, ~20% BF, have no real weight training experience and have been mostly doing mainsite WODs 4-5 days/week supplemented with distance running on the weekends for about 4 months now.

What does everyone think? Are these reasonable numbers or do I have a lot of work to do?
Actually, if you have no real weight training experience, then those are some very good numbers to "start" with.

I've been lifting off and on for 30 years and they're comparable with mine for the most part. Then again, I'm older than dirt, too. And if I trained like this in my 20s and 30s, i think my PRs would be a lot higher, too.

MY ONLY observation is that your DL seems to dramatically outpace your squat—and Louie Simmons among others will tell you that your squat should actually be better than your DL. Intuitively, it makes sense: it should be easier to move a large weight resting on your back than one that's stationary on the floor. That said, my PR DL is 50 pounds higher than my PR squat, though closing that gap (bleeding hemmorhoids and all) is one of my goals for the second half of this year.

Good times . . .
Old 05-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #106
Shawn M Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks, and to top it off, I'd be upset if I lost more than 5 pounds. And you're totally inspirational to a lot of people. If you ever find yourself in Maryland, I'll buy you a beer and we can totally hug it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
i'm 33 going on 34, 5'9 200 lbs, 17% bf and my totals are dl 345, squat 285, press 155 lbs for an identical 785 total, so we are real similar. i just got off the couch about 4 months ago after a decade of loafing.

to be honest we have a lot of work to do, not horrible, but i'm not patting myself on the back either.
That's quite interesting that we can basically identical in size, experience and weight. It's at least encouraging that we're both on a similar pace. Thanks for the feedback and I definitely agree there is lots of work to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Actually, if you have no real weight training experience, then those are some very good numbers to "start" with.

I've been lifting off and on for 30 years and they're comparable with mine for the most part. Then again, I'm older than dirt, too. And if I trained like this in my 20s and 30s, i think my PRs would be a lot higher, too.

MY ONLY observation is that your DL seems to dramatically outpace your squat—and Louie Simmons among others will tell you that your squat should actually be better than your DL. Intuitively, it makes sense: it should be easier to move a large weight resting on your back than one that's stationary on the floor. That said, my PR DL is 50 pounds higher than my PR squat, though closing that gap (bleeding hemmorhoids and all) is one of my goals for the second half of this year.

Good times . . .
You comment on the DL is totally fair. I have a feeling I could probably do a bit more on the squat, but I am scared to go all out to total failure with the squat because I have a wonky knee from playing soccer a long time ago. There is point in the lowering phase where I can start to feel it, get scared and stand up without fully dropping into the squatted position. That's what happened with my failed 285. It was okay at 275, but that 285 sort of put stress on the knee, and I stood up without fully dropping in. Where I work out, I also can't dump weights, so I err a bit on the cautious side. The DL doesn't put the same stress on my knee, so it's a bit easier for me to go to my real max on that one.

Thanks for the comments!