CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #61
Kevin Simons

Profile:
Re: Beware of Kalsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Butz View Post
Unless you have a 1 rep push press max of well over 270#, trying Kalsu as RX'ed is going to be a self flagellating, slog fest that grossly fails to maximize your power output. Next time, try taking 30-35 percent of your 1 RM (push press) as your method of scaling and you'll have a far better and more effective workout.
I don't think that is true at all.

My push press was less than 255 when I did Kalsu in 17 minutes and change. That seems about right to me. It is not an all out Fran type of effort-- it is supposed to be a longer painfest IMO. Just get it done. Still, considering the comments in this thread, most people really should scale. This workout adversely affected my training for at least 2-3 sessions afterward and shouldn't be underestimated.
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #62
Bob Butz

Profile:

Maybe I'm wrong, but Kalsu is a workout designed to straddle the line between two metabolic pathways (glycolytic and oxidative). Obviously, it's supposed be a longish workout by CrossFit standard. The trouble comes when a workout is too long and too heavy for an individual--so much that it is unproductive or even counter productive toward an individual's training goals.

Loading this particular workout to 30- to 35- percent of your max push press would not be easy. (I would also think the average person would do well to scale the burpees.) It would allow for a higher power output (which should be the goal of every workout). And, for the average person, the load would provide a workout that's "as it's supposed to be."

Read this WFS article of scaling: Getting Scaling Right: A Systematic Method for CrossFit Programming by Pierre Auge, Performance Menu Issue 53

http://www.performancemenu.com/zen/i...roducts_id=201

It'll be the best $2.75 you ever spent.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #63
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

The best PP I have done is 135. I did Kalsu at 65#, finished in 9:49 on Dec 7th after doing deadlifts. I could have cut my time down by pushing through more thrusters each set, but I tried to stick to a game plan I had for 95# and had plenty left over afterwords.

Not sure if I said it in this or the other Kalsu thread, but RX'd for that workout at my gym that day was 95#, they were looking at developing as much a mental response as physical- should I take the burpees slow and burn the thrusters? Rest after 10 thrusters, hit burpees hard and get back to thrusters? etc. Mental clarity during physical exertion.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #64
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Just did it today took 22:42
It took me over a year to man up and do this workout. I'm just glad I finished. I had 4 other guys at my gym complete it as rx'd, and was very proud to say the least.