CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:
Supplements for children.

Been years since my last post, but here we go...

So my son is nearing is 2nd birthday and he, for the most part, eats pretty well. Eats eggs, veggies, meats, guacomole, nuts, seeds and all the good stuff. Unfortunately, I dont live in a fully paleo home, although when I am able to, I feed my son the nearest I can to paleo and as best sourced foods that I can. I work mon-fri and usually 8-12-14hr days depending on case and workload so im not around him most of the weeks during the day and he isnt around folks that eat paleo or even a primal-ish diet. If I'd have to estimate he eats healthy, nutritious and whole foods about 75% of the time...the rest of the time it's mainly pastas, rice & beans and other things that would be considered junk food in my eyes but relatively innocuous foods in the eyes of most other people that do not eat paleo. Now the questions has arisen if he should take some sort of multivitamins or some sort of "child supplements" and I was wondering if any parent would care to chime in for some advice mainly on the supplements question. I dont know if I have much recourse to argue better eating with an entire clan of Italians from Brooklyn who live on carbs. For the most part im doing pretty well considering the tide I have to swim against and the family knows how neurotic I am about it. Anyway, thats for whoever wants to help.

- Nick
Old 08-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Supplements for children.

If your son is eating as well as you describe, I probably wouldn't worry about a supplement or multivitamin. Food is the best supplement.

My family takes Juice Plus. Buy a supply for an adult, and the kids' supplements are free, like a buy-one, get-one.

I like to open the Juice Plus capsules and dump them into my protein drink after a morning workout.

The kid's gummies do have some sugar. It's not a be-all, end-all supplement (as there is no such thing), but the variety of fruits and vegetables included is great. I wouldn't eat that variety on my own without it.

Last edited by Christopher Morris; 08-20-2015 at 01:39 PM..
Old 08-21-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Is he outside a lot, on the sun? Otherwise something like VitD would be an option.

Dunno where you from, but in my country, all newborns get vitD in liquid form. I dont know how long they have to take it, but most likely long enough until they are more outside, even thou, during the winter Id consider supplementing.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Douglas Schmale

Profile:

Maybe some Zoloft for the anxiety he'll invariably experience as a result of his parents' irrational dietary restrictions

Seriously though, he'll be fine. They're hearty little buggers. Some starchy carbs are good for em.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Nothing. No supplements. Stop being a dillhole.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
and the family knows how neurotic I am about it
Seriously, if he has nothing requiring a special diet it doesn't really matter that much. If he's overweight, well maybe but then again pretty much all 2 year olds are chubby to some extent unless they have that myostatin deficient gene like bull whippets.

Let the kid have some fruit. If you want to restrict fruit juices and soda, that makes sense. But cheerios aren't going to be the end of the world besides some pasta.

You can let him have a flintstone or gummy supplement but TBH, it probably is useless if he has a good diet.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

BTW, there is nothing wrong with rice and beans. Or potatoes. Or quinoa or noodles and pasta so long as they aren't made from crap (aka most storebought cheap ramen noodles). Yeah, maybe he doesn't need mac n cheese out of a box but he isn't going to suffer from shells with melted cheese and ham or bacon.

At 2 year olds some kids are such fussy eaters that sometimes you're just happy they eat cheerios and carrots and celery.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
Richard Colon

Profile:

sometimes life is EXACTLY about Big Macs, Chicken Nuggets, Mac N Cheese, more beers than you should, taking a day by the pool instead when your daily programming specifically ask for heavy Back Squats, eating Doritos only and specifically when watching Froning crush an AMRAP and every now and then, seeing who can eat the most Oreo's in 2 minutes.

I mean, balance and moderation in all things but I live this way and remind my kids of this also. Excessiveness (that a word?) in health, and anything for that matter can lead to an unhealthy something else. It always does. Nothing exists in a vacuum. There is always a give and take, choice and consequence and sacrifice.

Not sure if I answered anything, or intended to, but. well there it is.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I have not tried AsManyOreosAsPossible in 2 minutes, but I have done it in 1.

Hmmm, new challenge Post weight cut.