CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Anthony Hanna

Profile:
Choosing an Olympic Barbell

Hey guys and girls,

Im looking at purchasing an Olympic Bar and some Bumpers for home use and was wondering if anyone has used an UFS Oxide Men's 20kg Olympic Barbell?
http://www.urbanfitnesssupplies.com/...lympic-barbell
They also have a hardened chrome bar for $10 more.

It is from an Asutralian company Urban Fitness Supplies. I am unsure of the benefits of Oxide Barbells as well as bearing vs bushing... I am obviously wanting something that will last me for quite a while though still being at university I am not in the highest tax bracket.

The other bars I can find are SMAI's Heavy Duty Pro Grade Bar for $429
or an IronEdge Economy 20kg Barbell for $195.

Any help, reviews or suggestions welcome
Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Anjali Patwari

Profile:
Re: Choosing an Olympic Barbell

I have no experience with the Urban Fitness Barbell and the description doesn't really give away much information. I have seen thrust bearings spin very well and I have seen them be poor quality and "catch" a lot (i.e. not spin smoothly).
The oxide finish just means that it will rust eventually (the time it takes will depend on maintenance and humidity). The chrome may be a better option if you are in a very humid area. Even though it is rated at 600kg, it doesn't say anything about the PSI strength of the bar, so no way to tell whether it will really last without getting bent.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Mind you I have 0 experience in purchasing barbells, however, years of experience using them at Boxes. IMO, I would resist the urge to save money and/or go with fringe companies or bargain bins. A few things, I imagine, are best bought based off of their quality and industry tradition: Barbells, Kettlebells, Racks of all kinds & GHD's. I imagine that those are the few things you should NEVER buy cheap but rather go with industry leaders and burn the money for them so as to not spend more money on the back end either replacing or repairing. Pendlays, Eleikos and Rogue are what I've used in the past for Barbells and they are all very good. Id favor Pendlay and Eleiko for Oly liftin alone, and Rogue has some really good "all-around" bars you can do anthing with. I've worked with cheap equipment...its obvious it was cheap, it won't operate "quite" as well as you would like and/or hope, it will mentally eff you up and more than likely you will have to replace or repair much sooner than you would like. You want your stuff to last....buy quality made, usually this will mean spending some green on the front end.

- Nick
Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
Anthony Hanna

Profile:

Thanks guys for your opinions looks like il pass on these bars then
Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #5
Roger Dreis

Profile:

First posts on equipment always seem sketchy, I know but I thought i'd comment anyway.

I bought 3 kettlebells and lock jaw collars from UFS, and they are great. Best prices in Sydney for that kit.

When I was at their showroom in Port Botany I also looked at their bars, they seemed ok for the price (collars didn't spin that well, so/so knurling and the finish wasn't great) but personally I wouldn't get one.

Definitely no comparison to my ABC BOP220 (It's a black nitride work of art).

If I was you, I'd look at the Again Faster bars for $299 or see if you can snag a deal from gymandfitness dot com dot au (they sell Troy and garage gym bars) as they negotiate.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Isn't there an MDUSA in AU? I'm sure you could get a Pendlay HD bar then. See if you can find one of those Pendlay discount codes.

Barbell sounds alright but I guess it depends if you have the extra cash to go for a Pendlay or that $299 AF bar.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Roger Dreis

Profile:

Choices in Australia for mid range bars:

Again Faster $299
Pendlay Nexgen HD $550
Rogue Bar $520
Rogue Castro Bar $489
Rogue Burner Bar $450
B&R Bar $598
ABC BOP220 Bar $567 (But may be able to neg. lower)
Troy Barbell 7' Olympic Power Bar $449
Troy TPB $599 (But may be able to neg. lower)
G2 Garage Gym Bar $499 (But may be able to neg. lower)

Cheaper Bars (with good reviews):

Muscle Motion thrust bearing bar $199
Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

I got the Again Faster bar and love it

Easily the best bang for your buck in Australia

If you can go to the 500-600 mark, consider the Iron Edge bars
Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
Anthony Hanna

Profile:

Sounds like the again faster bar is the way to go at the moment. $300 sounds very reasonable for a good barbell. I'd probably look at upgrading to a Pendlay or rogue bar down the track

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Bethany Coogle

Profile:

I would spring for the Pendlay Needle Bearing barbell if you are doing strictly Oly lifting. My gym has Rogue bars, and I have 2 Pendlay Needle Bearing bars. There is no comparison. I keep 1 Needle Bearing bar at the gym and one at my house.
The Pendlay Bushing bar is a great cheaper option. They use the same bar as the Needle bearing bar, the only thing that is different is the Needle vs Bushing joints. The spin on the Pendlay Bushing bar is the best I've seen on a "cheaper" bar.