CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
Rob Rogers

Profile:
Law Enforcement Return on Investment

I am looking for Law Enforcement Agencies who have implemented Crossfit in their PT programs. Would like to know what Return On Investment your agency is seeing in relationship to healthcare costs?

We are starting a Crossfit program at our police department, and looking for ways to tie it into the Wellness Program. Our commanders have asked for data regarding healthcare savings.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
Tim Larsen

Profile:
Re: Law Enforcement Return on Investment

I don't know if you will find a specific "crossfit" example, but google turns up quite a few studies:

http://www.e-hresources.com/Articles/Nov2.htm

http://www.plansponsor.com/ad.htm?ur...are_Costs.aspx

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&cop=&ei=UTF-8

The thing with crossfit is the guys in the department will more than likely do it (so totally worth it IMHO).
Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rogers View Post
I am looking for Law Enforcement Agencies who have implemented Crossfit in their PT programs. Would like to know what Return On Investment your agency is seeing in relationship to healthcare costs?

We are starting a Crossfit program at our police department, and looking for ways to tie it into the Wellness Program. Our commanders have asked for data regarding healthcare savings.
What type of wellness program is your agency doing. My agency implemented a program last year and it will take effect this year with an agency standard agility test. As to crossfit, our agency has tons of people that do crossfit but I don't know that the agency as a whole will ever implement full on crossfit as in a large agency there are so many different levels of fitness some will just not participate or get hurt.

Interested to see how it goes with your agency. Please keep us updated.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

I am an SA for DOJ stationed in southern Texas. I know a lot of agents and gov employees that use CrossFit. However, the only agency I know of that officially has endorsed and uses CF in their FIT/Wellness programs is BP (Border Patrol). Now that isnt to say that its across the board with BP but I know the local office down here actually opened a box endorsed, financed and outfitted by the agency and is free for all GOV employees. I dont go there and dont use their facilities because its a little too small for their class sizes but they are geared pretty well. Not sure if its the same along other BP field offices.

- Nick
Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Chris Diamont

Profile:

WOW!! With the sequester going on I am shocked that BP has a gov't sponsored box!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diamont View Post
WOW!! With the sequester going on I am shocked that BP has a gov't sponsored box!

The box was established last year, if im correct, so it was prior to the current issues. They were going to expand this year into a bigger location but due to the sequester, had to pull out. I think they will try again next year though. Its pretty cool that they have that but most agencies have gyms or will pay a certain amount of the agents yearly gym payments as a way to promote fitness. The downside is that its usually something along the lines of "globo" gym type gear at the agency gyms and they only reimburse the equivalent of what a gold's would charge in a yearly basis. Either way, there are options out there. Personally, I've been with the FED for several years and I dont bother with their FIT programs only because they arent the greatest. I pay my own dues and do my own programming and get a much better return on my personal investment.

- Nick
Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Chris Diamont

Profile:

I'm pretty new to crossfit and I recently put in a gym in my basement so I dropped the globo gym. Our agency seems to do more and more for wellness and fitness programming which is nice but I'm a ST/L. Seems crossfit is really taking off at our agency a ton of people doing it now.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Tim Cooper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas DaSilva View Post
I am an SA for DOJ stationed in southern Texas. I know a lot of agents and gov employees that use CrossFit. However, the only agency I know of that officially has endorsed and uses CF in their FIT/Wellness programs is BP (Border Patrol). Now that isnt to say that its across the board with BP but I know the local office down here actually opened a box endorsed, financed and outfitted by the agency and is free for all GOV employees. I dont go there and dont use their facilities because its a little too small for their class sizes but they are geared pretty well. Not sure if its the same along other BP field offices.

- Nick
El Paso Sector has the same program.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
Jason Denny

Profile:

For those who subscribe to the CrossFit Journal, we published a good article a few years ago about recruit training and general fitness when we started CrossFitting.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/02/...-the-force.tpl