CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
JasonMoore

Profile:
Cool Joist Mounted Rogue Ring Hanger

So I have the Rogue Ring Hanger: WFS http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ri...ew-list-anchor

It is 36" long with holes every 2".

The problem is the joists in my garage are of the convenient 19.2" between centers variety, so I can't mount it across multiple joists (1.5" joist thickness).

I've seen a lot of joist mounted pullup bars that are on a single joist. If I go along a single joist and put in five 3/8" x 4" lag screws evenly spaced, do you think it will be ok on a single joist?

Additional info:

I am totally ok with posting a sign on it saying "no kipping" if that's the only thing deemed unsafe. The strict variety of stuff works fine for me. BUT, it would be nice to have the option to kip.

There is a bedroom above the garage.

TIA
Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Joshua Severns

Profile:
Re: Joist Mounted Rogue Ring Hanger

would mounting a 2x4 in between the joists then mounting the hanger to that be out of the question?

Last edited by Joshua Severns; 04-17-2013 at 06:45 PM..
Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
JasonMoore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Severns View Post
would mounting a 2x4 in between the joists then mounting the hanger to that be out of the question?
Not out of the question in my mind, have to clear it with the lady .

I think 5 screws into 1 joist makes the joist the weakest link. What would be the weakest link in that scenario? The 2x4 connection to the ceiling?

ETA: The joists are underneath approx 1/2" thick drywall ceiling.

Last edited by JasonMoore; 04-17-2013 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Joshua Severns

Profile:

I would prolly span it across a set of 4 joists and counter sink a set of bolts into each joist then bolt the hanger to that, but I tend to go overboard with stuff
Seeing as it is rings and you could have a nasty fall if anything came loose, better to be safe than sorry
Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Chris Diamont

Profile:

I would probably go with at least a 2x6 instead of 2x4. I actually have the same ring hanger in my basement and I mounted it on the main floor joist running through center of house. I think if you mounted a 2x6 across the rafters you should be fine.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Barry Acreman

Profile:

Quote:
I would probably go with at least a 2x6 instead of 2x4. I actually have the same ring hanger in my basement and I mounted it on the main floor joist running through center of house. I think if you mounted a 2x6 across the rafters you should be fine.
This is the way to do it. I'm thinking about ordering the same mounting bracket for my rings and the plan is to span the joists with a 2x6.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
JasonMoore

Profile:

Perfect! Thanks y'all I cleared the 2x6 with the lady. That was what I came up with in my head last night too.

I'll post some pics when it's up and running.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Stephen Hull

Profile:

Out of curiosity why not just use 2 large eye bolt lag screws? Myself and buddies have used these on our 2x10 joists. They have close to 300lb capacity for each bolt and costs a couple bucks at Home Depot.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
JasonMoore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hull View Post
Out of curiosity why not just use 2 large eye bolt lag screws? Myself and buddies have used these on our 2x10 joists. They have close to 300lb capacity for each bolt and costs a couple bucks at Home Depot.
That's what I was starting to think too. Surely there's a reason I bought this $65 thing that is ultimately secured by lag screws anyway? Anyone have any good reasons?

The way I'm going to have it set up the 2x6 will be screwed to 3 joists, with 5 screws into the 2x6 including 1 that will be through both the ring hanger and the 2x6.

see attached sketch, wfs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	design.jpg
Views:	1951
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	12225  
Old 04-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Stephen Hull

Profile:

I understand the effects of spreading out the load. Interesting thing is in the Rouge picture from the link above all they are doing is hanging the mount with two lag screws, one on either side. Not really any different than hanging from two seperate eye bolt lag screws in that scenario. Except if one gave way you would have a delay before the other caught and came crashing down from the force of the torque of that bracket. Where two separate eye bolt screws only one would pop so as long as you could hold on enough with one hand to slow your fall.....