CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Jason Bentz

Profile:
CrossFit PR Spreadsheet Log with Extras

I've been meaning to make one of these for about a year now, and finally, while recovering from a shoulder injury, decided to go ahead and bite the bullet, and get it done. Every day, I use a paper notebook journal to document my daily workouts at my box. I wanted something that I had access to 24/7, so I knew I needed a way to do it digitally. I used the WOD app for my iPhone for almost a year, and while that was nice, I didn't like the fact that I couldn't export the data, for use when the app was no longer supported, or I got another phone, and I also grew tired of entering such data on my phone. I also did not want to log my daily workouts for this project, only personal records, as that is about all I want to spend updating it, in other words, not on a daily basis.

So, this is what I came up with. It is not comprehensive at all, but is easily added to, if you know your basic Excel commands, mostly just INSERT row, and then copy any formulas to add lifts, WODs, cardio, etc. I have this on my DropBox account, and I don't plan on doing versions, I just update it once in a while, when I decide to add to my own, personal copy of the spreadsheet, I will copy it over to this public one. So it's kind of a living copy. You can feel free to just download it, and use/change it any way you want, check for updates, and you can copy those into your own personal copy if you wish, it's up to you.

Be sure and read the instruction sheet, the first tab at the bottom, to get familiar with it, and to enter your personal information. I have attached a few screenshots so you can see what you are getting for free.

Just in case my DropBox were to ever go away, I have attached a copy of it to this thread, but the link from my DropBox account will be the most recent version, as I may not come back to the forums to upload the new version every time it is changed.

Any comments are welcome, although, at this point, I don't plan on changing it much, unless it is just a super awesome change.

TIP: (When entering a new WOD description, to get a new line in a single cell, hold down ALT and then press ENTER at the same time, this creates a new line, within your current cell.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22358885/Cro...for%20Name.xls
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	4182
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	8465   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	38022
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	8466   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	20546
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	8467   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	3861
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	8468  
Attached Files
File Type: email CrossFit Personal Records for Name.xls (115.5 KB, 4626 views)

Last edited by Jason Bentz; 10-20-2011 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Tips
Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Jason Bentz

Profile:
Re: CrossFit PR Spreadsheet Log with Extras

...Remaining Screenshots...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1529
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	8469   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	8470   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	7450
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	8471   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	8472   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	6541
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	8473  

Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Jason Bentz

Profile:

...Place Holder...
Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Jason Bentz

Profile:

Well, these forums are pretty wonderful, apparently you can't edit your post after a certain amount of time. So, anyway, I'll really stress at this point, that I don't plan on updating the attached spreadsheet very often, if at all, now that I have to make a new post every time. The one in the link, to my DropBox will be updated on a regular basis, problem is, there isn't a real easy way for you to get those changes, without re-entering all your data.

My suggestion, is to just get your own copy, and keep it updated yourself, which is what I do. If I see a new WOD posted that we do that isn't in the sheet, I update it. For instance, today, we did Dating Sage, so I added that one to the list this morning. (Ouch, is all I can say, and due to the games, our coach is Rx+ing all our workouts, so we had to modify to a squat snatch for rounds 1, 3, 5, and strict pull-ups for rounds 2, 4...)

Have fun with it. I wanted to put some Wendler stuff in here, but I'm not sure that is appropriate or not. Some day, maybe.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Just wanted to let you know I downloaded your spreadsheet. Adding new entries was very easy, thanks man.

For example I added seperate entrys for deadhang and kipping pullups, and also added in some tabata intervals that you didn't have in there.

If you added a wendler 5/3/1, Starting Strength, or Westside Section I think that would make the spreadsheet that much better.

I also noticed you had a section for 1 rep max for the various lifts. Maybe have a section for 3 and 5 rep max also? And also a calculator that calculates your perceived max based on those reps? So for example a section for your true one rep max (one you've attempted) and a section for your perceived max based on your 3 and 5 rep maxes.

Just some ideas, I'd re-download and re-add my stuff in if necessary. Would be very worth it.

Thanks man!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Jason Bentz

Profile:

Thanks Michael! Was thinking maybe another page for Tabata stuff might be useful, because some of it doesn't belong on the pages I have it on...

I also like the idea for 1RM, and calculations of it from 3RM/5RM, since a lot of time on strength days, we don't end up doing 1RM...so that would be a way to see how your 1RM is improving. I'll start working on that soon. Thanks for that suggestion.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #7
Ben Leonard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bentz View Post
Thanks Michael! Was thinking maybe another page for Tabata stuff might be useful, because some of it doesn't belong on the pages I have it on...

I also like the idea for 1RM, and calculations of it from 3RM/5RM, since a lot of time on strength days, we don't end up doing 1RM...so that would be a way to see how your 1RM is improving. I'll start working on that soon. Thanks for that suggestion.

jason, I just downloaded your spreadsheet - it is excellent. The 3x, 5x and 1rm calcuator would be a great addition.

As for me using it - I won't bother adding wods that I make up myself, but efverytime I do a named wod, or anything else you've included I'll update the spreadsheet and see how my progress is.

superb!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Jason Bentz

Profile:

Sorry, the link to my dropbox is WFS.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Jason Bentz

Profile:

Ok, well, it's rather annoying to keep updating two spreadsheets, especially since when I try and copy/paste between the two, I'm getting weird things happening.

On that note, I have decided that instead of updating a basically empty spreadsheet for you all to start with, I'm just going to copy my personal one over to the public area for download. What this means, is that it will be updated more frequently, but on the downside, will contain all my data that you'll need to delete before using it.

At first, I thought this would be annoying, but then I realized that if anyone is updating their spreadsheet, they are copying their data over anyway, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. Secondly, I thought, it might actually be good, in that you can see what I typically put in my spreadsheet, as far as some of the more complicated WOD's that require unusual scoring, and also some information on the notes that I try and include on certain things.

Here is the new link, the old one will be dead shortly, as I will be deleting it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22358885/Cro...or%20Jason.xls <--- WFS

I've also attached the latest to this post, just keep in mind, this will never be updated, because you cannot edit posts after a certain amount of time. This is mainly just for those that want to peek and poke around, before downloading, or if for some reason, my DropBox gets removed or something weird like that.

Wendler Weight Training:
I have added 3RM and 5RM to the weightlifting section. I also added a "Calculator" tab at the bottom, and currently, the only thing in there is the Wendler 1RM estimator. After some thinking, and reading on some other people's posts that had posted their Wendler Spreadsheet, I have decided that I will not be adding the program to my spreadsheet. This is mainly because, I anticipate needing 12 tabs to setup my program for the year, but mostly, because Jim requested that the assistance work be removed from someone else's spreadsheet, which I understand, as that is his work going into the book, and just giving that away free is not cool. So rather than have to edit my spreadsheet to accommodate that, I just plan on making my own. It's really not all that hard.

Good luck to you all in the 2012 Open coming up. I can't wait. It's been a tough year, but I've come a long way after looking back at my training over the past year. Can't wait to see what they throw at us this year.
Attached Files
File Type: email CrossFit Personal Records for Jason.xls (126.0 KB, 1358 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Jason, thanks, fantastic spreadsheet.

May I suggest adding in neck and chest measurements to the body stats?