CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Alex Europa

Profile:
Why was the Open Source Thread Closed?

I am deeply offended that the Open Source (W/F/S)thread was closed. This is the EXACT thing that Matt Thomas was speaking about: downright suppression of thought intended to develop the art of training for human performance...something DIRECTLY addressed in the Level 1 Training Guide.

We are all well aware that Tony and Dave are not on the forum, and that "technically" the CrossFit Forum is not CF HQ, however let's be real for a second: if we can't come to the CrossFit.com Forum to attempt to discuss improving human performance and improving CrossFit, what EXACTLY is CrossFit HQ referring to in the Level 1 Trainer's Guide when they state that they have "employed the internet (and various intranets)..." to allow the community to develop better training through a "collaborative online community"? Is there a link that I'm not aware of?

Sure, I could email Tony and Dave, but I'm sure that I would get a standard "form" type reply. Additionally, one-on-one emails do not bring in the COMMUNITY as addressed in HQ's own literature.

As some people know, Greg Glassman actually used to post on the forum; the insight that can be gleaned from those early posts are like a goldmine of information. Now, I'm well aware that the folks at HQ are extremely busy and can't be bothered going through hundreds of posts each day...but every once in awhile, there is a thread that they could certainly provide valuable insight. I'm still waiting to hear good reason why that can't/doesn't happen anymore...other than "the forum isn't HQ." That isn't a very good reason for HQ to go against their own literature. No one here is asking HQ to do anything that they haven't openly and repeated stated that they would do.

I'm sure that this will end up in Pukie's Bucket...which is especially frustrating since I did not violate the AUP in any way. In fact, I would say that this post/thread falls directly in-line with #11:

Quote:
Polite dissent or disagreement is encouraged. Polite disagreement with well-reasoned arguments and evidence is even more encouraged.
Emphasis mine

When this does get canned, I would at least appreciate the professional courtesy of explaining how my argument is not "well-reasoned."

- Alex
Old 08-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Alex Europa

Profile:
Re: Why was the Open Source Thread Closed?

Funny, I just noticed that there is another thread about this very topic in Pukie's Bucket already...this time with NO explaination.

How many people of the CROSSFIT COMMUNITY have to complain about this problem before it gets fixed?

- Alex
Old 08-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Andrew Bell

Profile:

It's a internet posting forum, not the living embodiment of of crossfit, it's run as the mods see fit. Different people, different view points. I didn't think what I said was bad but apparently it was since I'm now modderated. Again, it's their house and I guess I will have to live with that.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Michael Dowling

Profile:

man let it go already, who really cares? it's a message board on the crossfit site. start your own message board and impart any rules you want.

i think the stance is criticize all you want but this isn't the proper venue to do it where the people being questioned can't defend themselves. if the people aren't around to defend themselves it just deteriorates into random bashing.

the overall tone of the board is pretty anti-crossfit which is bizarre, most newbies who come here get directed away from crossfit into some other strength program because they aren't deadlifting 500 lbs and squatting 450 yet. typical new CF post "hey guys new to crossfit and loving it" reply "what are your goals? what are your numbers" "DL 315, bench 200, squat 240, press 115" reply "my grandmother lifts more than you go do 'insert strength program here'". you can't be surprised that the CF board is trying to i don't know promote crossfit???? which right or wrong with the advice this is probably the wrong venue to do it IMO (even though i'm probably guilty myself).

on a privately run message board there isn't a guarantee to be able to say whatever you want, you have to accept that or move on to another board, or create your own.

Last edited by Michael Dowling; 08-03-2011 at 02:30 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Alex Europa

Profile:

And where do you think the anti-CF tone comes from? It comes from CF HQ not following through on their promises and doing so much stuff behind the scenes, yet continuing to claim that they are open source. If they DON'T want it to be open source, then they should simply say so. It's their program and they can obviously do as they wish...but why don't they WANT to be more open and forthcoming? I'm actually VERY pro-CrossFit...which is precisely why this stuff frustrates me.

EDIT TO ADD: If the CROSSFIT FORUM isn't the venue to discuss better programming, what is?!

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa; 08-03-2011 at 02:47 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Arien Malec

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
the overall tone of the board is pretty anti-crossfit which is bizarre, most newbies who come here get directed away from crossfit into some other strength program because they aren't deadlifting 500 lbs and squatting 450 yet. typical new CF post "hey guys new to crossfit and loving it" reply "what are your goals? what are your numbers" "DL 315, bench 200, squat 240, press 115" reply "my grandmother lifts more than you go do 'insert strength program here'". you can't be surprised that the CF board is trying to i don't know promote crossfit???? which right or wrong with the advice this is probably the wrong venue to do it IMO (even though i'm probably guilty myself).
Well, this is the core of the issue, isn't it? Many folks on the CF boards believe that something other than mainsite is the most appropriate approach for themselves, and for others. Most (all?) of the top placers at the CF Games use something other than mainsite as their program. If mainsite isn't the most appropriate program to prepare for Crossfit workouts, that would seem to be a legitimate topic for community discussion, no?

Last edited by Arien Malec; 08-03-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Silly Rabbit..open source doesn't mean open minded
Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

starting the clock....now....let's see how long before this thread gets locked....
Old 08-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Yes since I started that thread it would be nice to know WHICH SITE POSTING RULES WERE VIOLATED!?

Last edited by Andrew Roden; 08-03-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Well, this is the core of the issue, isn't it? Many folks on the CF boards believe that something other than mainsite is the most appropriate approach for themselves, and for others. Most (all?) of the top placers at the CF Games use something other than mainsite as their program. If mainsite isn't the most appropriate program to prepare for Crossfit workouts, that would seem to be a legitimate topic for community discussion, no?
So do you recommend crossfit to use top games finishers programs? Something tells me that the 4+ hours a day these guys are working out wouldn't be very reasonable for the general CF population.

I would also guess the majority of main site critics have never done main site for any length of time.