CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Daniel Dantzler

Profile:
Economy?

I know this has been asked before but not recently....How has the economy affected your business? I am in the process of affiliating and I am nervous as Hell about spending the money for the equipment, signing a lease agreement, etc. Please let give me some of your input. Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Steve Rakow

Profile:
Re: Economy?

The flagging economy has only helped our business. We continue to grow and we're in a very small market.

Just be the best at what you do and you'll be rewarded. Start small and build up. Be prepared at all times to expand by having a plan with milestones that dictate when you need a bigger space, more equipment, etc.

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:

I agree with Steve. Our 2 boxes are in small markets. They both continue to grow.

Reality-we have lost a few members due to the economy-real estate and construction related. A few members have changed their memberships from an 'unlimited' package to a 3x a week program. However, we continue to see a new market walk in the door every day.

As coach has said many times, "If you build it, they will come!"
Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Daniel Crookston

Profile:

The economy isn't really in as bad a shape as most people think. It gets talked about a lot because it's the hot topic in DC, but consider... how many lines for soup kitchens have you seen recently? How many runs on banks have you heard of? We may be in the worst economic climate since the great depression (I haven't run the numbers myself to see if that's true) but that doesn't mean our situation is as bad as it was then.

I personally am in the job market (recently left active duty military service) and nearly everyone is hiring. Not just in my area of expertise, either - I see Help Wanted signs on several of the stores I drive past.

Either way, you're going to be offering a valuable service to people in your area. Don't let the doom and gloom scare you... too much.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Cody Limbaugh

Profile:

Daniel C-
AMEN! It's awesome to see people like yourself and elsewhere in the CF Community not buying in to all the crap that is being spewed by our GOVT. and media.
My wife stopped by a higher-end restaurant the other day while she was out shopping and she was told there was a TWO HOUR wait! If things are all that bad then how the hell are all these people affording to go out and eat like that? We have seen many other examples- new construction and business improving etc...
Yes, some segments are really struggling right now and I don't wish to demean anyones troubles but gimme' a break!
I heard a quote from Trump the other day where he said on national TV that we are in the 1930's all over again. That is purely politically motivated fear mongering bilge! Childish and irresponsible.

Daniel D-There has never been a better time to act on your future! NOW is the time to be searching out and taking advantage of opportunities.

Serve others with passion and success will follow you!
Cody Limbaugh- CrossFit eXcellence, Lake Oswego OR http://crossfitexcellence.com (w/f safe) 'Excellence is not perfectionism-nobody is perfect,but every one of us can strive to live a life of excellence.'-Mike Woods
Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Daniel Dantzler

Profile:

Thanks for all the encouragement on this.....I know the media and the new administration has alot to do with the scare tactics on the economy but being a FF and in the construction industry (part time), I can say from first hand experience that the construction industry in Florida is at a stand still. Im confident things will get better and I am going to proceed with my affiliation but I wanted to get others input on how things were going for them. Thanks Again...
Old 03-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

The bad news seems to be extremely localized. Some parts of the country (Florida unfortunately being one) are really getting slammed, others (like Washington state) are holding up okay. So you need to keep an eye on your own local situation.

With that said, people who are working less hard but still doing financially okay may well decide that this is a great time to finally do something for themselves. Get people hooked now, and they'll stay with you when their lives get busier.

Katherine
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Joey Powell

Profile:

growing 8 to 14 members a month.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

What's really interesting is that in our gym, gymnastics being it's forte, we are growing very well, especially my boy's program. I'm in shock as we aren't the greatest gym in the area or the biggest or have lots of advertising. Bare in mind, our numbers were way small and I think part of this is gaining some stable coaches and getting defined programs working.

This year is what we call in the gymnastics community an Olympic year which our enrollment usually booms, generally around September when school gets in session. However, that is exactly when everything started falling apart getting only worse though in some areas of Northern California is was getting progressively worse with the downturn in construction from mid 2007.

I think there is an increased focus in our nation of health, especially for children but also with all the info on Obesity and Diabetes being pumped through the mainstream channels. CrossFit as well is really becoming big and established in the mainstream channels. I wonder if the 2nd CF Games had anything to do with this.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:32 AM   #10
Douglas Chapman

Profile:

Mixed recently.

We, same as everyone else, are adding new people at a steady rate.

We have had some attrition due to job losses. We have had people related to the auto companies lose their jobs or get relocated. Many people are being squeezed due to longer receivable cycles in their businesses.

Every person we lose, we get 2 new ones, but the real bummer is losing people who truly want to be here and can no longer afford it. We try and hook people up as much as we can. We have had some people abuse it, but for the most part taking care of our people as much as we can is what we are doing. The hard thing to see is some people losing their jobs and losing their homes. I don't know if this is happening elsewhere, but it is happening in Michigan.

I look at it like this, we take care of our people, make it though this dip, we will be stronger for it. Imagine what it will be like if the economy booms again?