CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:
Yoga

Has anyone tried a program mixing yoga and Crossfit? Is it worthwhile? Enjoyable? Does it pair well with Crossfit? Is it just silly B.S?

I suggest reading the recent article in CFJ (Aug 5th 2011) that compares CF to yoga, definitely some overlap.

Personally, I'm highly interested in starting yoga to increase my flexibility and stability. I've definitely tightened up since I started CF and serious weightlifting. I also injured myself yesterday while doing power cleans so it may be good to take a break from anything heavy.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Eric J Leon

Profile:
Re: Yoga

I was actually just about to call a couple yoga studios in my town about dropping in. Trying to mix something beneficial into my active rest days.

Only thing I don't like initially is how female-centric the studios are. Mommy and me yoga, pre-natal yoga, self defense for women classes, etc

Interested to see what responses will look like.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Yoga is fantastic for mobility, balance, and coordination. Once you get to the advanced poses, it's okay for strength in bodyweight movements.

Relative to Crossfit, it's completely useless for limit strength and metabolic conditioning.

I'd treat it as active rest/recovery, and highly recommend it for that purpose.

It's also very portable. Requires practically no equipment, so you can do it in your living room, your hotel room on the road, whatever. I'd suggest going to a studio for a few months to learn about proper alignment, develop a routine, etc., then decide what level of involvement you want.

Katherine
Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
James Davidson

Profile:

I would love to do yoga but there aren't any instructors for 50 miles around and I am not willing to drive that far can't wait to get orders out of here!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

I had/have some serious MOB issues one hr of dedicated stretching on top of the 20 or so I can fit it on a daily really helped. Pilates is a good active recovery too. I dont care how many GHD situps you can do you will still have difficulty with some of the pilates movements.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

I think yoga can be a good strength developer if you practice the more intense types of yoga that use gymnastic-like poses requiring core/upper-body strength and stability.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Adam Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Davidson View Post
I would love to do yoga but there aren't any instructors for 50 miles around and I am not willing to drive that far can't wait to get orders out of here!
Do you live down by the base I'm guessing? Do most people live down that way or more up in Boise?

Anyways, I loved yoga when I had the chance to take it in college. I felt like by the end of the semester I "got it" and felt like a million bucks after class. I'm not very flexible or anything like that and I was one of only 2 dudes in the class but it was a great experience and I think everyone who thinks it even sounds interesting should try it for themselves.

Trust me, as a guy, if you take the class seriously and aren't too self conscious there are worse ways to spend an hour than surrounded by a bunch of flexible, generally attractive looking gals
Old 08-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I tend to factor in Yoga on My rest day. I am a huge supporter with the mobility you can get from it. That and it is plain old relaxing.
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

It's weakness training. Most CrossFitters' mobility sucks, especially amongst the men. Yoga is a dedicated and structured way to tackle it, and has a cool relaxation and spiritual element to it as well. Also, too, a bunch of ladies in spandex... Personally, 10-20 minutes of focused MobilityWOD exercises is more efficient for me, but if you're the kind of person who "forgets" to do this kind of stuff, an hour long yoga class a couple times a week would probably be very helpful.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Anyone else like Bikram yoga?

Justin